Venezuela earthquake hits T&T

Questions and comment outside the scope of the above topic groups
Jannie
myTobago Enthusiast
myTobago Enthusiast

Venezuela earthquake hits T&T

Post by Jannie »

Hi - has anyone heard if yesterday's Venezuelan earthquake has affected Tobago? I've read that some damage occurred in PoS Trinidad, but can't see any reports on Tobago.

http://www.looptt.com/content/68-earthq ... s-trinidad
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Re: Venezuela earthquake hits T&T

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Jannie

I haven't received any reports of anyone even noticing it on Tobago, much less any damage.

Cheers
Steve
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Hugh S
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Post by Hugh S »

I have a report of a power outage in Canaan but no idea how widespread it was. They felt strong shaking during the quake. Will add more info when available.

Hugh
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Hugh

Thanks for that. It has been a manic day for me (in closing stages before launching the new myTobago) and I had forgotten this post when I received an email from a contact in Castara just an hour or so ago. Here is what she said:
Not sure if you heard about the earthquake yesterday evening. It was by far the worst and longest I have ever felt here. It was scary and then another aftershock not too long ago. But everybody is well, which is most important. Have not heard about any damage in Tobago so far, in Trinidad it was definitely worse.
Minor tremors are far from scarce in the Caribbean, but this one does seem to have been a biggie. Anyway, Tobago seems fine! :D
Steve Wooler
Hugh S
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Post by Hugh S »

From https://newsday.co.tt/2018/08/22/tremortised/

In Tobago, the Arthur NR Robinson Airport, Crown Point, remained open, but there were reports of some areas being affected by downed power lines. There also were no initial reports of damage to houses and business places.

“People were terrified and shocked. Cars were dancing in the streets. It was an experience, very long, but everything is calm now,” one Bon Accord woman told Newsday around 7pm.
Steve Wooler

Aftershock earthquake hits T&T

Post by Steve Wooler »

From Newsday: https://newsday.co.tt/2018/08/22/earthquake-aftershock/

A magnitude 5.9 aftershock – 40 kilometres east-southeast of Carúpano, Venezuela – was felt across TT and several other Caribbean islands this morning. The strong aftershock occurred at 9.27 am, just under 16 hours after the region was rocked by a magnitude 6.9 earthquake at 5.31 pm yesterday.
Newsday also has a live blog for updates: https://newsday.co.tt/2018/08/22/live-b ... aftermath/
Steve Wooler
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

Having checked with a few people in various parts of the island, it seems that Tobago got off exceptionally lightly. I think the lady who mentioned cars dancing in the streets in Bon Accord was possibly passing a local church during choir practise. Trinidad certainly got it worse, but visitors need have no concern about Tobago.
Steve Wooler
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Post by Paul Tallet »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6z8nnfpbhRE

The above link to a uTube vlog by Dutchsinse is worth looking at.

This guy is considered by some to be controversial but he has a good track record of forecasting earthquakes and has correctly predicted increased seismicity spreading around the world this week following a deep 8.2 earthquake a few days ago in the Pacific.

In this vlog he covers the Venezuela quake.

I have seen other videos of rising sea water (Tsunami) in the harbour of Port of Spain and some damage to buildings in Trinidad.

I hope all is well in Tobago.

Regards
Paul Tallet
Public Relations Consultant for Mother Nature

Return to “General Questions & Comment”