ATM Canadian ?

Questions and comment outside the scope of the above topic groups
NIN49
myTobago Groupie
myTobago Groupie

ATM Canadian ?

Post by NIN49 »

Hi everybody. Coming to your wonderful Island in February for the first time. Can I withdraw local currency using my Canadian debit card? If so how much at one time? I have looked in the other post below with no answers. Cheers.
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Re: ATM Canadian ?

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hello

Welcome aboard. :)

Check your debit card. Has it got the international VISA or MasterCard logo on it? If so, it will be accepted by all ATMs and/or retailers and services that accept plastic. The amount you will be able to withdraw is primarily set by your card provider, so you will need to contact them to determine how much (normally a limit per day) you will be allowed. Obviously, the cash machines only issue funds in local T&T currency.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Chris Runciman
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by Chris Runciman »

Have you advised your card issuer of your travel destination ? Large unusual cash withdrawals are ‘flagged up’ by the Bank. 2 banks on island are Canadian owned (?) Scotia Bank and RBC.
Once you are ‘in the bush’ ie not in Scarborough or Crown Point , the machines are few! See the places shown on this site . They are First Citizens Bank ATM ( other than the Blue Machine at Mt Prospect/Black Rock ) . They are used by ALL, not just visitors and can run out of money.
NIN49
myTobago Groupie
myTobago Groupie

Post by NIN49 »

Thanks Steve and Chris. Looking at the back of my debit bank card as long as the ATM has Cirrus or Interac it should work.
PaulMakin
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by PaulMakin »

there are 3 scotiabank branches on tobago, all in the SW. one at d'colliseum, a main branch in the lowlands mall and one on carrington road in town. as chris said, ATMs do run out of cash (frequently !) so plan ahead.

fwiw - and i have no clue how accurate this info may be - i was told very recently by a regular/frequent Canadian visitor that, at that point in time, scotiabank were the lowest charge and the best rates for his cash withdrawals

paul
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

Don't forget to check out our ATM page (menu: Information > Money Matters > ATM Cash Machines) where the location of every ATM on the island is shown.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago

Return to “General Questions & Comment”