My location in Bacolet Bay

Questions and comment outside the scope of the above topic groups
Mandi
myTobago Rookie
myTobago Rookie

My location in Bacolet Bay

Post by Mandi »

Hi everyone
I am going to Tobago for the first time on January 13th for 2 weeks. I am really looking forward to it, but it would be useful to get a bit of information before we go.
We are staying at the Half Blue Moon at Bacolet Bay on a B&B basis, as I believe there are many places to discover for food and drink. Could anyone tell me how close we can expect eating and drinking places in this area? Are they in walking distance? If so, how safe would it be for 2 ladies walking on their own? If not, how would we get there? I am also under the impression that car rental is very expensive.
We would appreciate it if someone could enlighten us; and also any other information that would be useful for our first trip.

Thankyou all.

Mandi
Robert T
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Re: My location in Bacolet Bay

Post by Robert T »

Hi Mandi,

Not many places to eat in the Bacolet area as far as I remember, best bet would be to try in Scarborough which is a bit of walk away from where you will be staying. I dont find car rental expensive (around 40£ a day and some discount applies if rented for two weeks or more) but rather a good idea if not essential if you really want to see what this beautiful island has to offer. Especially as a first timer you should really try to make the most of it. Take a look at KCNN's website, we have been renting from them for years, they are very nice people and super reliable and providing a top notch service. https://www.tobagocarhire.com/
Also you'll have Bacolet Bay/Beach (Blue Heaven Hotel could be an option for lunch) at your doorstep which in my opinion is a really nice spot for relaxing etc..

Hope this helps
Robert
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hello Mandi

Welcome aboard! :D

Robert is spot on in everything he says. The only restaurant near the Half Moon Blue is Cafe Havana, in the Half Moon Blue's sister-hotel, Bacolet Beach Club. At least you won't have far to walk. I would love to hear what you think of it. It is very expensive, but we have had 2-3 enjoyable meals there. Sadly, the last time we visited the food was so poor and the service so bad that we actually paid up and walked out after only a couple of mouthfuls of the main dish. So sad! [-X

As Robert says, it is a fair walk into Scarborough and, frankly, unless you want fast food (mainly fried chicken), then there are only two restaurants in Scarborough worthy of mention. The Blue Crab is within a 10-minute walk of your hotel and an excellent choice for good local food. It is only open for lunch - not in the evening. The only other restaurant is the Salsa Kitchen on the far side of Scarborough. A tiny restaurant serving Venezuelan-style tapas. Brilliant! It is essential to book at both though. Please see region 6 of our Restaurant listings for full details.

I would strongly advise against considering walking into Scarborough at night. Much of the road is not lit and there is no pavement/sidewalk. Although traffic will not be heavy, it is not a road I would walk along at night. Robert is bang on when he recommends hiring a car. It is by FAR the best way to get the most out of your time on Tobago. It will give you the freedom to travel where you want, when you want - and also eat out far and wide as every restaurant listed in regions 1, 2 and 6 of our Restaurant listings will be within a 20-minute drive of your hotel.

Enjoy!
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Mandi
myTobago Rookie
myTobago Rookie

Post by Mandi »

Thank you Robert and Steve; that's really helpful.
When you say a 'fair walk' how far would you say it is to walk into Scarborough? We do like walking; although I hear what you're saying about not walking at night - is it safe during the day?
What are the taxi services like? are they reliable and are they cheap/expensive?

Does Scarborough have shops at all? or is it just not that type of place? I'm not sure what to expect - hence all the questions :-)

Thanks again

Mandi
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Mandi

It is almost exactly 1 mile from the Half Moon Blue to the centre of Upper Scarborough - so a 15-20 minute walk, I guess. The trouble is that Upper Scarborough is the commercial district of Scarborough and mainly consists of banks and offices, etc. There are a few small shops, but nothing that the average tourist is likely to find of interest. You then have a 5-minute 1/3-mile drop down the hill into Lower Scarborough were you will find the port and retail areas. Yes, there are lots of shops, but retail therapy is really not something that the average visitor will visit Tobago for. Basically, forget Scarborough if you want to leave Tobago with good memories.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Hugh S
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Post by Hugh S »

The only good food I can think of in Upper Scarborough is at the top of the car park on Piggot Street in front of Tambrin Radio station. There is a good bakery and a restaurant next door with local food for breakfast and lunch. I think it is called James Cafe. Mr. James is a friendly man (his staff sometimes exhibit that distinctly Tobagonian aloof attitude) and the food is very tasty. In addition to take out they have a small area in back with a few tables and chairs. But it is much more interesting to sit out front somewhere to watch the world go by.

While I do understand the comments about Scarborough I have many wonderful memories (and some not so wonderful) of people, places and events in town and I feel quite safe most of the time. Scarborough might be the least touristy of Caribbean capitols but it still manages to be very interesting in many ways.

Hugh 8)
Mandi
myTobago Rookie
myTobago Rookie

Post by Mandi »

Thankyou all for your helpful comments, it gives us a clearer idea. Is the port worth a visit?
Is there anywhere else reasonably close that we shouldn’t miss?
I need time to have a really good look at the site, I know.
Thanks again
Mandi 😊

Return to “General Questions & Comment”