carnival and windsurfing and surfing

What to see, what to do, where to go
Pbpamela
Tobago Guru
Tobago Guru

carnival and windsurfing and surfing

Post by Pbpamela »

Hello,

I am so glad to have found this website and this forum. Thank you for putting it together!

We are planning a trip in feb or march 2020 primarily to windsurf and to get to know Tobago. I know that carnival in Trini is mar 23 and 24, but I read that there are also celebrations in tobago, but more laid back (which we would enjoy more anyway). I also heard that Tobago gets kinda busy and loud the week after carnival because everybody comes over to Tobago after carnival is done in Trini.

Sooo, if we prefer to avoid crowds and we come around mar 1 to 10, would we still be able to find some good steel pan music? Is it worth coming mid feb to participate in carnival on tobago even though it might get crowded and busy after mar 24?

We also like to surf (we are beginner/intermediate). It looks like surf season is jan to march? Is it better in feb then? Might that affect our timing?

Yes, we want it all 😊
Hugh S
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Re: carnival and windsurfing and surfing

Post by Hugh S »

Hello and welcome to the website. You have found the right place for all things Tobago.

I can't speak to the surfing questions except to say that it is mostly limited to Mt. Irvine. You should be able to find lots of info here in the forum.

Your main concern might be getting there during Carnival time and I might be able to answer questions regarding getting there from SEA/TAC. Feel free to pm me.

Have fun, Hugh 8)
Last edited by Hugh S on Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pbpamela
Tobago Guru
Tobago Guru

Post by Pbpamela »

Thank you Hugh,

I love this website!

If we come after carnival, will we still find good steel pan and maybe some african drum music?
If we are looking for the "laid back" tobago, would it be better to come a week after carnival, rather than the week following when lots of other people come?

Does anybody know what the hotel is that is in the picture at the top of the website?

Thank you,
Pamela
Pbpamela
Tobago Guru
Tobago Guru

Post by Pbpamela »

Hi Hugh,
I appreciate the offer to pm you to discuss travel - we are neighbors! but I don't see a link to do that?
Hugh S
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Post by Hugh S »

I sent you a PM. See if you can reply to it. The PM link is in the blue bar at the top of this page.

Hugh
Hugh S
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Post by Hugh S »

I'm not seeing my Sent messages in the Private Message section. Is it working Steve?
Hugh S
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Post by Hugh S »

Hi Pamela,

The PM feature does not seem to be working.
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Post by Paul Tallet »

Hello Pamela

Mount Irvine is popular for surfing on the north end of the bay. In March you could get some decent swells.

Wind surfing is best from the tip of Pigeon Pointless … there is always a strong breeze there.

I don't know much about the carnivals … in fact I think I am the only person that has never been to a carnival in Trinidad or Tobago but I have been to some impressive and deafening Steel Drum competitions in Trinidad … they are serious !

Regards
Paul Tallet
Public Relations Consultant for Mother Nature
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Pamela

My apologies for not being able to respond earlier, but I've been away visiting family for a couple of days and, despite thinking of the U.K. as a technologically advanced nation, was in an area where the Internet was too slow to respond to the questions and issues raised. Anyway, welcome aboard and let me try to answer your questions.

The Private Message system 'appears' to be working correctly. Hugh, I've sent you a PM to test that you are receiving correctly. If not, please email me and let me know that you didn't receive it and I'll investigate further. The reason that Pamela didn't see your message and/or can't see a link to the PM system is that restricted rules apply to newly-registered members. I'm afraid that all forums suffer from the problem of spammers trying to register accounts to spread their xxxx. They also use PM systems to get to users at a more personal level. So, we have restrictions on new members and they are given access to all features until they've posted xxxx posts, by which time we've hopefully sussed whether they are genuine travellers or not. Anyway, to cut to the chase, I've upgraded Pamela's account so that she now has full facilities and access to the PM system.

Okay, Pamela's questions....

Most of the hotels provide entertainment one or two evenings per week, during the high season (winter) months, but this will be limited to a solo pan and isn't exactly what I'd call pan music. In my opinion, the best time to go would be just BEFORE carnival. Sure, there will still be events going on in the wind-down after carnival, but in my experience, you will get a lot more in the weeks before when all the bands are practising like crazy for the main event. Almost every village and locality in Tobago has a community band with a practise hall somewhere in/around the village/locality. There is no entrance fee or charge - just roll up and enjoy. Of course, you have to accept that this is practise, not a formal performance, so you may here the same piece, or parts of it, played numerous times. But it is REAL!!!!

Sorry, but I can't help about the photograph without better understanding which page it was on. You say at the top of the website, but every page on the website has a different photo at the top. Our site has some 4,000 photos, the bulk of which are in the various property listings in the Accommodation section. If you were referring to a hotel photo, it would be of the hotel/guesthouse/property named in the panel immediately beneath the photo.

Hope this helps.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Pbpamela
Tobago Guru
Tobago Guru

Post by Pbpamela »

Thank you Steve!

Sounds like you were someplace wonderful if the internet was slow😊. We like the idea of coming before carnival. In looking at the price of air tickets, we can do it reasonably if we come around the 8th and leave around the 19th, meaning we would miss actual carnival. If we try to stay through carnival it costs quite a bit more to fly. Or... we could pay more and be there for carnival. Our main reason for coming is to windsurf and get to know Tobago so I think we could do the earlier dates but... do you think we would be sorry having to leave before the celebration?
Hugh S
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Post by Hugh S »

Pamela,

Did you receive my email reply? It may have gone to your spam folder since it was from a different email.

Hugh
PaulMakin
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by PaulMakin »

at the risk of sounding like a miserable old sod, i'd venture the thought that you won't miss much if you're not on island for the carnival. it's a different "experience" from that on trinidad and, even on tobago, the factions are split about what to do with it. we currently have in effect 2 carnivals - in town and crown point. the older, more traditional elements, seem to have been replaced by "party" and are eminently missable from my perspective.

definitely worth seeking out rehearsals and pre-carnival events in the various localities but wind-down events aren't that special anymore. many visitors from trinidad throughout the period - some for the after carnival "scene" but many coming up as a way of avoiding carnival at home !!

for kite/windsurfing you could also check little rockly bay on the hampden road (atlantic side) near the magdalena hotel. mt irvine bay for board surfing but from time to time i see people at browns point (next to the sandy point beach club). as with all water based activity, very weather dependent so check the local meteorological websites before travelling out.

paul

Return to “Sightseeing, Tours, Sport & Activities”