Thomas Cook

Your questions and comment on travel to Tobago
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Thomas Cook

Post by Paul Tallet »

Thomas Cook have approached the UK Government for the £200 million they need to secure their survival plan.

This indicates that all commercial options are off and the UK Government could be the last resort … very dicey.

I am a flight-only customer having booked my flights to Tobago for December 2019 way back in August 2018 … I won't be covered under ATOL, but I paid by credit card and I have travel insurance so hopefully I will be ok if Thomas Cook fail.

Regards
Paul Tallet
Public Relations Consultant for Mother Nature
PaulMakin
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Re: Thomas Cook

Post by PaulMakin »

not looking good unfortunately. i was thinking of trying to get on a MAN/TAB routing next time i'm in the UK so fingers crossed for a rescue and that you get your arrangements sorted.

i heard on R4 that a government bail-out could perhaps be less costly than arranging for repatriation of affected holidaymakers if the company fails - that must be a huge amount of people potentially stranded

just had a quick read on-line (it's been a quiet morning !). up to 150,000 could be stranded, largest ever peacetime repatriation if it becomes necessary, estimated cost £600m :shock:

paul
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Post by Paul Tallet »

It's not looking good. Unless there is a miracle I reckon they could be bust by Monday.

And that miracle will come in the form of the UK Government? … I don't think so. Not if no commercial enterprise will invest in it.

Regards
Paul Tallet
PaulMakin
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by PaulMakin »

Just reading this now.

Massive turnover but high overheads and servicing debt seem to have been the issues ?

Good luck with sorting your flights out paul, and also good luck to those currently away from home and needing repatriation

paul
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Post by Steve Wooler »

Paul, what a bummer for you (and many others, I'm sure). So sad!
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
PaulMakin
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by PaulMakin »

and Condor have just sought a "loan" from the german government

paul
Ronald
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Post by Ronald »

Many are stranded also in Europe on different places. And other airlines do not want to help them back unless Tomas Cook can pay them!
Many use to buy ticket for Christmas - New Year early and now they having BIG problems! Will they ever get their money back?
I used to fly by BA all the time from Stockholm to Tobago via an other island, cost a little bit more but BA is very much safer!
I always did pay by my credit card so I also had an insurance, it seems that many dont do that?!
Today I also did read about the German Condor they also seems to have big problems now, they try to get help from their Government!
Maybe the "New Airport" in Tobago will not be needed after all?
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Post by Paul Tallet »

Hmmm … bit of a rum old do this for some … bad news for the cases where mass bookings have been made for wedding parties etc.

I have no ABTA ot ATOL cover because I did 'flights only'.

If you have done the same you have 2 options or maybe both of the options …

Credit Cards ... you complete a form under section 75 rules. I paid by credit card and we have checked with them and they have confirmed we will get our money back as long as we use the correct forms under Section 75 claims. You have 120 days to do this after which your cover is void.

However, other flight prices have soared, this morning we booked a BA flight and they were kind enough to take a deposit of £20 to give us 72 hours and to hold the price. The price was an additional £1,400 higher than the Thomas Cook flight I booked in September 2018, the previous evening it was £900. I must point out that we were doing Premium Economy with TC and we went for the same with BA. There were 3 seats left. We only needed 2. We have, this evening, committed to the BA deal and the £20 holding deposit was included in the whole cost.

Travel Insurance ... we had this cover too. We contacted them and told them that we were already covered under our credit card but asked if they could cover the increased cost of the BA flight … they said yes and that they could cover us up to £2,000 on the difference.

So … we are sorted, the BA flight means that we arrive in Tobago 1 day early and the local authorities have been informed of this adjustment.

We depart 4 weeks later at 1945 which means we can (unlike with Thomas Cook) enjoy the whole of our last day … and … we are not a penny worse off … in fact I think we are better off because I am sure BA's premium economy is better than TC's.

The only negative is travelling down to Gatwick.

Anyone affected should check their insurance. Not all policies cover what I have benefitted from but I hope this helps.

Regards
Paul Tallet
PaulMakin
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by PaulMakin »

Glad you're sorted :D

In an idle moment (or several) i,ve been looking at all possible permutations of Uk - Tab. Came up with some absolutely fantastic routings (with prices to match)

it used to be so simple - BWIA from LHR to georgetown. Transit stop in barbados and jump plane at piarco for the last flight to TAB. And yet at the time we moaned like a mad thing.

paul
PaulMakin
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by PaulMakin »

Condor flying today

paul

Return to “Air Travel & Getting To Tobago”