Scarborough to Castara by public transport

Transport-related questions and comment
Juliabusybee
Newbie Visitor
Newbie Visitor

Scarborough to Castara by public transport

Post by Juliabusybee »

Regrettably just one day in Tobago.....yes, on a cruise s… would love to see Castara but taxis all seem so expensive, have been quoted 120 USD from Scarborough to Castara and back.
Is this the going rate, or can I get there cheaper?

thx Julia
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Re: Scarborough to Castara by public transport

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hello Julia

Welcome aboard!

Yes, that sounds about the going rate. You are unlikely to get it cheaper from any of the established taxi services when a cruise liner is in, because of the demand and general mayhem and confusion not being able to park and hanging about waiting for the guests. One cheaper option would be to hire a car for the day, but if you don't know the island, navigating to Castara might be an issue and there's always the danger that if you get lost, you may miss your sailing departure.

Public transport is not an option for you, given the limited time frame and if you don't know your way around Tobago.

Sad, but if I think of any solutions, I'll certainly get back to you. Hopefully someone else might come up with something.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Juliabusybee
Newbie Visitor
Newbie Visitor

Post by Juliabusybee »

Hi, so nice of you to reply, I understand all the points you make , didn’t really want to go on an organised trip to Argyll falls , but hey maybe it would be ok 👌
Thanks again , looking forward to seeing some of your lovely island
Best regards
Julia
PaulMakin
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by PaulMakin »

against my usual, i would have to suggest that you join one of the organised excursions. i'd also say that it would be better to select an area to visit and stick with that - eg, the argyle falls are on the atlantic side but castara on the caribbean. you could do both in one go but there would be no opportunity to stop and sample things. this route will almost certainly not be freely available as an "a la carte" excursion and you would need to negotiate privately with a driver which increases your hassle factor, cost, stress etc.

although small, it can/does take a long time to get to most places on tobago and should you be travelling independently and experience a problem then you will be at real risk of not making your sailing.

not sure when you arrive but avoid any tours concentrating on pigeon point, store bay etc. right now both are effectively "out of order" following recent weather events. anything heading north of scarborough would be my thinking. a visit to argyle falls will show you a lot of the atlantic side on the run up so wouldnt be a bad choice at all IMO. remember to look up as well as down as you drive along !

the itineraries for these stopovers are extremely tight and most of the cruise line recommended operators will be well accustomed to getting passengers around and, more importantly, back to the port when required.

i feel that it would be far too stressful on, what is after all a vacation for RnR, to try to go it alone.

paul
mussya
Newbie Visitor
Newbie Visitor

Post by mussya »

Hello,
We're on a longer trip in Tobago and looking to get from Scarborough to Castara, on a Sunday.
We do have all day for this adventure so would be great to hear if possible at all to do on public transport (bus/Maxi Taxi) or if not, what should be the cost of a taxi?
Thanks!
PaulMakin
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by PaulMakin »

ooo, now.

i can't even see castara on the PTSc schedules - https://ptsc.co.tt/ - and i've never seen a bus up there. but, im not that way regularly.

Sunday buses on tobago will be infrequent even in the south and often it'll arrive at the destination, pick up pax and return to origin immediately.

route car would maybe work but you'd need to change cars often as these guys ply regular routes, A-B without even thinking of going to C. You'd probably need to get a second car at shirvan road heading towards plymouth, then arnos vale, moriah and castara. this may involve several changes of vehicle plus waiting for one to pick you up at each way point. insurance and licensing for hire is totally absent with these cars - officially licensed vehicles will have reg plates starting "H". "P" should be private use but these are the route cars that you will encounter

several taxi firms at the airport who may be able to assist but the taxi stand at the port in town is your best bet if leaving from s'boro. alternatively, an opeartor out of castara -

Tobago Taxi Cab Co-operative Society, Canaan: 639-2707 / 8913
Airport Taxi Line, Crown Point Airport: 639-0950
Porridge, Castara: 787-0992
Tobago Taxi Co-op, Carrington Street, Scarborough: 639-2659

i have no idea how many of these numbers are still operational (although Porridge was at the airport last week doing pick ups for visitors heading north). No knowledge of prices I'm afraid and i have had no dealings or associations with any so satisfy yourself as to suitability of any particular option

Good luck with it !

Return to “Car Rental & Public Transport”