Where should we spent the Christmas?

Questions and comment outside the scope of the above topic groups
Sunshine
myTobago Groupie
myTobago Groupie

Where should we spent the Christmas?

Post by Sunshine »

Any advice which area would be nice to stay during Christmas?
We love spend time at the beach, eat good food and maybe chat with other people :wink: . What area do you recommend for the holidays? We are group of three adults around age 40. We wanted to travel far (to find sun) and avoid all the hassle in europe, but we still would like to celebrate Christmas somehow. At least find some restaurant what is open and be around other people.

All the information is welcome, and would be nice to hear how has your Christmas been in tobago \:D/
Ronald
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Re: Where should we spent the Christmas?

Post by Ronald »

Please look at this, section for Restaurants, food
Re: Xmas and New Year Eve Dinner/ Celebrations

There you have options about what to do and where to go
PaulMakin
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by PaulMakin »

By Christmas the season is getting well underway. being in the vicinity of a beach will be no problem at all but you need to tell us a bit more about what type of stay you are looking for - hotel or apartment, low/medium/high cost, etc.

there isnt much fine dining on tobago but there are or two gems tucked away. recommendations would depend on where you plan to stay, will you have transport etc. bookings for dining would be highly recommended at all but the most ad hoc of local places.

in the SW of the island, most establishments will be offering full services during the holidays. the down side is that this part of tobago is the more populated and developed (although the upside is that you have much more choice of accommodation, supermarkets etc)

paul
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Post by Paul Tallet »

Christmas Day is a virtual shut down in Tobago but, as Paul says, you have a better chance of finding a food venue in the more populated western area where the resorts have to be open for their guests. A more remote option could be Blue Waters Inn in Speyside which has a beautiful setting.

As for beaches, I visited ''Waves' last year on the beach near the Grafton Resort last year. I tend to shun resorts if I can and I am checking out Bagos Bar for this year which is under new management and which, according to their facebook page, is putting on quite a lot of events to boost their business … I sense they will do something so worth watching their facebook page … the Bar is situated a stone's throw to the north of Coco Reef and has a lovely calm beach.

Another option is to see if any boat operators are doing a Christmas snorkelling / fishing trip and beach barbecue … a number of these are listed on this site … see 'out and about' link.

Regards
Paul Tallet
Public Relations Consultant for Mother Nature
Sunshine
myTobago Groupie
myTobago Groupie

Post by Sunshine »

Thank you all for these advices =D>
We definately will look Blue Waters Inn and Bagos Bar. Also Coco Reef and Kariwak, those were the places what was listed in the ealier Xmass discussion.
We took apartment from Castara, and we will hire a car so we can drive further to find food. And now we have a kitchen during Christmas, so we can also prepare meals there.

Cannot wait to get there :P :P
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Post by Paul Tallet »

Ah … hmmm … I am staying in Castara too … how big is your car? \:D/ %*} ??

Regards
Paul Tallet
Chris Runciman
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by Chris Runciman »

Last year (2018) my wife and I were in the water in Little Bay Castara , me with a Stag as Sharon at the Boathouse called out to announce “Christmas Dinner is served!” Roast turkey and all the trimmings followed by ‘black cake’ and coconut ice cream ! We were staying at our place Carpe Diem so just walked down to the bay. Swimming in warm sea on Christmas Day! The smile lasted for days! Sharon needs to know numbers so booking really is necessary!
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Post by Paul Tallet »

Oh we missed you last year … I will consult with my carer to see if we should make a reservation.

Regards
Paul Tallet
PaulMakin
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by PaulMakin »

also, it really is a shut down on the day itself so get your provisions earlier in the week and avoid the christmas eve scrums. which will happen, to the point of some supermarkets having to employ security on the doors to control the floods of humanity picking up those last minute items - don't ask how i found this out.

a christmas ham is the usual dinner of choice but you can get turkey and even fresh chicken (in pennysavers). a better option is always the farm in golden grove but avoid jacob's meat plaza unless you want to open a freezer and come (literally) face to face with some of our more "regional" fare

paul
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Post by Paul Tallet »

Bagos have sent me their menu and I have just got back up off the floor because they sent a price list too. It wasn't the prices that shocked me … it was being informed of them !

I can't show this on here because it was texted but the usual fare of steaks / fish / turkey is about an average of TT$150 a pop which I think is very reasonable. I guess drinks will be extra and there is likely to be some entertainment judging from the partying I am seeing on their facebook page … it's under new management and they seem hungry for business … the previous owners, Bob and Shirley, still go there (socially of course).

I haven't made my mind up having seen Chris' post about the Boathouse which I can wade to whilst being under the influence (so to speak) so if Sharon is planning something I would be very interested.

Any more bidders?

Regards
Paul Tallet
Sunshine
myTobago Groupie
myTobago Groupie

Post by Sunshine »

Paul, when you are arriving to Tobago?
We have one more week and then.. jeij!
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Post by Paul Tallet »

Ah good … Tobago needs a little 'Sunshine'.

I am arriving in Tobago in just over 527 hours time :mrgreen:

23rd December ... it would be cruel of me to make you work it out !!

Regards
Paul Tallet
Sunshine
myTobago Groupie
myTobago Groupie

Post by Sunshine »

Greetings from sunny and hot Castara! We made it, finally here and we love it! =D>
We came yesterday and spent the day swimming at the warm sea.
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Sunshine

Brilliant!!! I'm so glad you are enjoying it. =D>
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago

Return to “General Questions & Comment”