Paper TT$100 blue notes

Questions and comment outside the scope of the above topic groups
Hugh S
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Re: Paper TT$100 blue notes

Post by Hugh S »

Those bill counting machines are very fast!

8)
PaulMakin
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by PaulMakin »

think his adversities are more to do with the undeclared nature of the money and why he has it as opposed to the church ; seems he has more at home, many searches taking place !!!!

paul
Hugh S
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Post by Hugh S »

He has some explaining to do! It might cost him a lot more than just the dollar amount. :^o
Last edited by Hugh S on Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Frank and Mina
myTobago Nut
myTobago Nut

Post by Frank and Mina »

Are we talking about a very recent new issue of 'plastic' notes or are the ones issued from a few years ago which look and feel far more plastic than the previous paper ones? The oldest one in our stash has aJV4.... serial number but is not as stiff a plastic as the new UK fivers and tenners.

We haven't been to T and T for the last couple of years due to loss of cheap accomodation and flights. So unless things change, we will probably change our notes back anyway. Do UK banks take TT$1 notes or is that likely to be met with laughter? We all always have some of those for the cab fare from the airport to Scarborough. (only joking, we pay TT$20 for two of us with luggage)!

Regards to all, Frank
PaulMakin
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by PaulMakin »

these are totally new and only released Dec 2019. plastic $50s have been around for a few years though.

given that the old paper hundreds are now de-monetarised i suspect that no bank anywhere will buy them from you.

paul
Frank and Mina
myTobago Nut
myTobago Nut

Post by Frank and Mina »

Thanks for the clarification, Paul.

Will hot foot the notes to the bank asap and try my luck anyway.

Certainly a good wheeze for any country to make a quick profit. Coming from Jersey, I am familiar with the concept of collectible postage stamps which will never be used on letters and curiosity currency which gets put in a box, never to re-enter circulation, when tourists return home. The Island will have made millions over the decades.

Frank
Chris Runciman
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by Chris Runciman »

As stated before: The old blue paper notes are no longer legal currency! If you have a bank account then they should exchange them when paid into your account. It was not a ‘money making’ ploy. The blue paper notes were easier to counterfeit. A lot of cash is not saved in banks in the Caribbean! When an old person dies and the relatives gather there may be mourners in the sitting room whilst others maybe taking the mattress out the back door !
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Chris

Can you clarify please. You say that the banks will accept them if/when paid into a bank account. I assume you are referring to a T&T bank account? My understanding is that as the date has now passed, you can ONLY change the old TT$100 notes by visiting the Central Bank in Port of Spain and proving that you were out of the country and unable to change them by 31st December 2019.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Robert T
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Post by Robert T »

I managed to get rid of some of them at the Post Office before xmas. They only accepted 500 as there was some error code popping up in the computer while dealing with it. Following day tried another branch in London, they would not take them at all. Now I understand what that error code meant... :D :) Since then Ive tried several Natwest branches , all refused to take them...
Frank and Mina
myTobago Nut
myTobago Nut

Post by Frank and Mina »

Good news, in Kent at least.

Mina changed the notes she had at John Lewis in Bluewater last week.

Yesterday I took my stash and they would only take my 50s and 20s after deciding that only the latest 100s were acceptable.

I then went to Marks and Spencer and they took the out of date TT$100 notes at 10.008 to £1.

Better than finding them worthless!

I've kept a wodge of TT$1 notes for a taxi ride to the Blue machine... if and when we return. I normally kept 100 handy to buy rum at the cash only duty free kiosk in the arrivals hall.

Frank
Chris Runciman
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by Chris Runciman »

We are back ‘home’ in Castara. We have just had a call from the ATM manager at First Citizens Bank as I am their contact for the CTDA.
The ATM are having problems issuing the new notes and all machines will have to be modified. Currently there are 3 machines IN FCB branches in the south which can issue them.
So: The money is in the machines but alas we cannot access any. They are working to solve the issue. I have no knowledge of ATM owned by other banks. Perhaps somebody in the south could advise?
Carol G
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!

Post by Carol G »

Hi Chris,
We have been in Tobago since mid Dec and have an account at the Republic Bank. Their ATM's have been issuing the new bills since that time...no problems.
Cheers, Carol
Chris Runciman
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by Chris Runciman »

Thankyou for the update! We had also had a power out and it affected the software but it was fixed when they refilled the ATM ! Issuing polymer notes OK ! I was just forwarding the memo from FCB !
Hugh S
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Post by Hugh S »

From the Central Bank:
Attachments
T&T Cotton notes.jpg
Last edited by Hugh S on Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hugh S
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Post by Hugh S »

And for those of us with nothing better to do than dream about our next visit . . . 8)

Meet the new $100 polymer banknote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... e=emb_logo
PaulMakin
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by PaulMakin »

they certainly fit the wallet better !

eyes are peeled for the publication of the arrangements for tobago - i found a few more old bills the other day. not a massive amount but worth a minor queue-ing for.

paul
Chris Runciman
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by Chris Runciman »

I will be going to Unit Trust in uptown Scarborough this morning to exchange old $100 notes. Central Bank ( Trinidad ) are having 4 such days at Unit Trust over the next month I believe. I am taking proof of travel ( old boarding pass) and a print out of my Mastercard transaction when I drew tt$. ID of course. There will be a long line so I am up early and out the door! Update here when I get back!
Chris Runciman
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by Chris Runciman »

Each Thursday ( until 26th March ), Central Bank staff will be at Unit Trust in Uptown Tobago where from 9.00 to 2.30pm you can exchange the old notes for new.
Travel with id , proof of travel( ie why you could not change them before 31st December) They have a form to fill out, they ask a few questions to establish your reason etc.
We were at the Unit Trust early, the whole affair took about 2 hours as obviously there were a lot of people local and visitors! This was the first Thursday event so there were a lot of people.
We took copies of our boarding passes and I printed out the change transaction from my MasterCard statement . So I suggest you gain access to a computer . It was all quite painless, the staff very courteous and helpful!
So go early, be prepared to wait in line and then treat yourself to a good lunch! We went to Bagos Bar , now under new ownership , and had a great meal , almost too much and with drinks the bill was 190tt. I have before and after pictures of my plate!
Hugh S
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Post by Hugh S »

That is good news. I won't be back until April so I hope there are still options even that late.

8)
Kurt.Halfyard
myTobago Nut
myTobago Nut

Post by Kurt.Halfyard »

What is the last day that a T&T Bank branch will accept these bills? March 26th (with documentation)?

Return to “General Questions & Comment”