Hummingbird nectar

Questions and comment outside the scope of the above topic groups
Rick Hernandez
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!

Hummingbird nectar

Post by Rick Hernandez »

I seem to recall that homemade nectar in Tobago is different than the US [ 1 part sugar 4 parts water ]. Thought I read it somewhere . Anyone know ? - All the best - Rick
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Re: Hummingbird nectar

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Rick

I've always understood the best nectar to be 1 cup of white refined cane sugar to 4 cups of bottled water. Don't use brown sugar (apparently) and don't use tap tap water as this may have traces of chlorine and/or other disinfectants.

Depending upon how many feeders there are, we tend to mix a big batch and store it in the fridge. It's normally good for around 3 days (max). However, you do need to clean - or at least flush out - the feeders each morning, before refilling.

Most importantly, take the feeders in (or empty them) before sunset UNLESS you want the fruit bats to have a feast. If you leave them after dark, here are some pictures of what to expect. I thought I was going to have to set up a air traffic control, it became so busy. I particularly love the little critter covered in yellow nectar. Greedy!
Attachments
IMG_5857.jpg
IMG_5969.jpg
IMG_5833.jpg
IMG_5753.jpg
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Rick Hernandez
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!

Post by Rick Hernandez »

Thanks Steve - Great pictures ! I usually stay at Alibabas and they come out every night . I enjoy watching them . I'm going in May and can't wait . Thanks again
Chris Runciman
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by Chris Runciman »

4 - 1 works fine! What the hummingbirds sounds not drink the bats will! They are both a constant source of enjoyment for both our guests and us.

Return to “General Questions & Comment”