Coco Reef Robbery

Your questions on medical and security issues
Ronald
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Coco Reef Robbery

Post by Ronald »

Hi any news?

I did read about a robbery at Coco Reef during a night, two men with cutlasses according to what I did read.
If the were able to walk in from the main road and passing the security there, bad news!
If they jumped over the wall somewhere, not so difficult at all, also bad news!
As it did work once, they might come back again!

I wonder, are there NO security at all inside the hotel during the night?
Even if these security were not armed, they are supposed to be trained and should be able to take down these two men alone or with help others inside the hotel.
Why does not the management buy such simple things as legal spray to use when beeing under attac?
Or simply a horn wich give out a 100 dcb sound wich would be a VERY good alarm signal.
It is for sure a VERY BAD news both for the hotel itself as well the tourism in Tobago!
And NO news at all?
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Re: Coco Reef Robbery

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Ronald

As I understand it, two men armed with cutlasses entered the hotel's front desk and forced the night-duty receptionist to let them into the office, where they were able to make off with some TT$15,000. Nobody was hurt and guests totally unaware of the problem. Yes, the big issue is how they managed to get past the front gate, which has a guard on duty 24/7. I guess the resort has become a little complacent over the years and this is sure to result in a major shakeup. Fortunately, they have the public areas covered by security cameras and it look like the police already have the culprits in custody.

Cheers
Steve
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Robert T
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Post by Robert T »

it seems like it could have been an inside job as the position of the cameras had been altered in order to conceal their identity???????? http://www.looptt.com/content/two-quest ... ago-resort
Ronald
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Post by Ronald »

Hi Steve

If they was allowed to enter via the guarded front gate, then the guard was either asleep or did somehow know these two persons, maybe they have been working there, or in worst case, the guard was a part of this robbery!
But if the guard is not guilty, then I believe they did enter the area via the wall. CocoReef is very green inside the walls and during the night it can be very easy to enter via the wall.
And if they are using right clothes for night, moving slowly, then it can be difficult to see them via the camera.
Cameras is a good help, but are all cameras really working for 100%? Look at similar cameras on other places in T&T, they all are not working as they are supposed to work.
As this has never been a problem before, mayby the security has been too sleepy instead of been alerted because the increased crime both in Trinidad and Tobago?
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Post by Paul Tallet »

As I have suggested in previous posts, this is a more organised crime and not intended as a direct attack on tourists.

As such, one would assume that these thieves ensured their entry and exit was as smooth as possible, even with the help of an insider perhaps.

All speculation on my part but I have experienced a much more respectful attitude towards tourists this year in particular.

Regards
Paul Tallet
Public Relations Consultant for Mother Nature
Ronald
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Post by Ronald »

Hi Paul

I agree with you that was NOT an attack against tourists and/or tourism in general.
They wanted big money as easy as possible and the hotel has some of that money as I believe they always need cash avaiable.

In general, visitors now a days, never mind which country we talk about, does not carry around big money any more.
Only fools are doing that now.
Peoples are using their cards to pay things and/or buy things and/or for services.
I hope they were arrested soon as this is not good news for Tobago.
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Post by Paul Tallet »

Hello Ronald

Perhaps I was too brief … what I am speculating on here is organised crime against tourism (not the tourists).

Where tourists go, the money goes. The use of card / electronic payment will protect both the tourists and the tourism business.

I read that $TT15,000 was collected by these criminals … so why does Coco Reef have the need to stock this money? Is it holding cash securely for tourists? No, surely not. Most tourist business is prepaid via package holidays of which many are all-inclusive. Additional services such as Island tours are most likely paid by credit card and laundererd through the travel agents or the hotel before it reaches the service provioders. General maintenance and wages would surely be paid by bank transfers periodically and I doubt the hotel would do business with traders that want cash.

Even $TT15,000 is not that much but (again) why would the hotel see the need to have this money? If they did see the need then someone has found out about it and exploited it.

If I was a criminal I would be targeting the resorts. Targeting individual tourists would not be worth it.

The upshot of this will be increased insurance premiums if resorts choose to hold needless sums of cash in their safes (or an office drawer).

Tourism loses out one way or the other … the biggest losers are the local / small businesses who may find it difficult to pay the increased insurance costs.

Regards
Paul Tallet
Public Relations Consultant for Mother Nature

Return to “Health & Security”