Lost wedding ring

Questions and comment outside the scope of the above topic groups
Owain M
myTobago Groupie
myTobago Groupie

Lost wedding ring

Post by Owain M »

Hi everyone,
Just returned from a great holiday in Tobago. Our first visit and we had an amazing time exploring around the island and found all the information on MyTobago invaluable for booking trips, eating out and choosing the best beaches to visit. So thanks to everyone involved in the website.
Unfortunately a few days into our holiday I lost my wedding ring in the sand on the smaller beach at Castara on 6th February. Spent around 2 hours searching and we went back a few days later and searched again but could not find it. We asked around if anyone had a metal detector but could not find anyone who had one.
Understand it's unlikely the ring will now ever turn up but thought it worthwhile posting on the forum in case someone happens to have found it or heard of someone else who has. Also, if someone on the island does have a metal detector and can find it I would be happy to pay a small reward in addition to cost of posting it back to me in the UK. It is a mans wedding band in platinum.
Looking on the bright side, if it does not turn up, its a good excuse to return to Tobago every year to search for it!
Thanks,
Owain
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Re: Lost wedding ring

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Owain
Welcome aboard and I'm delighted you had a great time in Tobago, but sorry to hear about the lost ring. I'm literally about to board the BA flight from Gatwick to Tobago, but won't be in Castara until next week. I know it's doubtful that it will be found, but if by chance any contacts in Tobago read this and know that the ring has been found, please let me know and I will get it back to Owain.
Cheers
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Owain M
myTobago Groupie
myTobago Groupie

Post by Owain M »

Hi Steve,
Thanks so much for your reply and all your hard work on this site. Hope you have a great time too and if the ring happens to turn up it would make both myself and my wife very happy.
Thanks again,
Owain
Chris Runciman
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by Chris Runciman »

I have a metal detector here in Castara. Which beach were you on and where? We have had high tides associated with the unusual full moon . I will check my detector still works. Anything electrical, electronic ( or not !) can fail here !
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Chris

I now see why you are known as The Prof locally.

I believe its Little Bay from Owain's first post. Owain, perhaps you can confirm in as much detail as possible and if you know exactly where you lost it.

Cheers
Steve
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Owain M
myTobago Groupie
myTobago Groupie

Post by Owain M »

Hi Chris/Steve,
I tried submitting a post earlier today with more details about position on the beach, so presume I must have not sent it correctly. Apologies if it shows up later as contains much of the below.
Thanks Chris so much for your reply , fingers crossed your metal detector still works.
As Steve said, it was the Little Bay. We were sitting a few metres from the edge of the beach at the end closest to the main beach, and around 1-2 metres from the top edge of the sand near to rocks and overhanging trees, in the shade from the trees. I had shaken my hands to dry them after getting out of the sea and I saw the ring shoot off into the sand near me but somehow could not find it. The area of sand where it landed seemed to be above the tide line (on that day at least)
Chris, if you manage to find it would be amazing and will certainly owe you a large crateload of your favourite tipple.
Many thanks,
Owain
Chris Runciman
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by Chris Runciman »

I am checking my detector out now! It is working.....careful about offering me a case of my favourite tipple.....Silent Pool Gin .....but a case of Gordon’s will do !! I will be on Little Bay this afternoon!
Last edited by Chris Runciman on Wed Feb 19, 2020 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ronald
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Post by Ronald »

Hi all,

The biggest problem to find something lost in the sand by digging with their hands, is that the digging moves the sand around and the items might sink lower and also be moved at the side.
I once did loose a watch nearby the cliffs at Store Bay, I did see where it did go down but I could not find my watch!
I have also found different things into the sand while walking, once a watch, filled to the half with water but still working (!) I gave it to the life guards as it must been lost not too far ago. Once I found a BIG gold chain, I reported that but no one was asking for it, It could have been into the sand for years.
The big waves during bad weather does also move around sand, and everything wich are heavier than sand will go deeper!
But maybe a good detector can found it, it depends of the type and the lost items metal.
Good luck!
Owain M
myTobago Groupie
myTobago Groupie

Post by Owain M »

Yes Ronald I’m sure I probably kept pushing the ring deeper into the sand when trying to find it.
Chris, you’ll definitely deserve the Silent Pool Gin if you find it!
PaulMakin
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by PaulMakin »

good luck with the search all. I know how unlikely it is to be found but it can and does happen.

One time we were able to locate a wedding ring that had fallen into the water by swallows (that was eyesight and experimenting with similarly weighted objects in order to establish a trajectory) but the second was the best result when a newly wed couple had lost one of their custom made (famous jeweller and pricey pricey) rings when exiting the boat. That was a metal detector jobby.

so, fingers crossed for you

paul
Chris Runciman
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by Chris Runciman »

First try but no luck yet! Sea was quite high so will try again Sunday. So far 2 crown caps, 6 rusty nails and a length of iron bedded in concrete so we know the detector works!
A small group gathered and we all joined in the search.
Owain M
myTobago Groupie
myTobago Groupie

Post by Owain M »

Wow Chris, Thanks so much for the amazing effort. We really appreciate it !
Hope this hasn't taken up too much of your time. Please don't feel like you need to keep on searching if you've had enough.
Thanks again,
Owain

Return to “General Questions & Comment”