MyTobago website

Questions and comment outside the scope of the above topic groups
Rick Hernandez
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!

MyTobago website

Post by Rick Hernandez »

For a few months I have only been able to access the forum part of this website. Am I the only one to have this problem ? { haven't seen any mention in the forum] I've been to Tobago 7 or 8 times I really don't need the info but enjoy checking things out now & then. All the best & Stay safe - Rick
Carol G
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!

Re: MyTobago website

Post by Carol G »

Hi Rick,
I too have had the same problem...Steve & I have exchanged several emails. He very graciously offer all sort of ideas to fix...none worked. My husband is able to get into the whole website on his laptop, so at least I have an alternative. We use it often when in Tobago...especially when we cannot remember days restaurants are open or ideas of new places to visit.
Cheers, Carol

PS Hope you are well!
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Rick

Weird! What is just as weird is the fact that I replied to your post immediately after receiving notification of it being posted - but it isn't there. In my old confused state, I must have forgotten to press the Submit button.

Yes, you are not alone. Carol has reported the same issue. However, no other reports yet. I would like to carry out a few tests with you, if you don't mind. So, perhaps you would be good enough to email me (steve @mytobago.info - without the anti-spam space) and we'll take it from there.

Cheers
Steve
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Rick Hernandez
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!

Post by Rick Hernandez »

Thanks Steve & Carol - I'm afraid your dealing with a computer moron . Should I e-mail you from my gmail account ? Hopelessly Rick
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Rick

Sorry for the delay. YES, please contact me via your Gmail account. Unfortunately, your forum account is registered to an aol.com address and I tried to contact you via that address, but the email bounced. So, I need to wait to hear from you direct. To protect your security, I would not advise you to post your email address here in the forum, so I'll wait to here from you.

Can all readers please do me a favour and check whether they are experiencing the same issue. So, just click on the myTobago at the top left of this page - or choose any of the Accommodation/Food & Drink/Out & About/Information page links. If they can't connect to any of these pages, PLEASE contact me immediately, either by posting here, sending me a private message or emailing me at steve @myTobago.info (don't include that antispam space before the @, though). THANKS!
Steve Wooler
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi All

I'm delighted to say that I found and fixed the problem. It's made me realise that perhaps its time for me to retire. What hope is there when you don't spot a mistake in the error-warning routines that would (if they worked) tell me that someone has hit an error? Bit of a circular argument. Anyway, it's taken a day of nut-scratching to find and fix, but I think we're their. It only affected regular long-term users whose ISP has switched over to the new IPv6 IP computer addressing system, but my sincere apologies to anyone affected by the issue - and particularly to Carol and Rick, who are the only two I know to have reported the issue.

I will now go and soak my head in a bucket of cold water and hope that kicks the brain cells back into action. :oops:
Steve Wooler
Rick Hernandez
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!

Post by Rick Hernandez »

Steve thanks so much for all your hard work ! All the best & stay safe - Rick
Carol G
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!

Post by Carol G »

Hi Steve,
Many thanks...keep doing all of your good work on this website; including fixing things!
Cheers, Carol
Rick Hernandez
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!

Post by Rick Hernandez »

Hi Carol - Hope you are well also - sorry I didn't respond sooner I guess my government is rubbing off on me. All the best & stay safe - Rick
Gill O
myTobago Nut
myTobago Nut

Post by Gill O »

Hi Steve, I can access all the info on the website. The only part which still doesn't work for me is when I click quick links at the top left of the forum page, there is no drop down list any longer. Cheers, Gill
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Gill

That's a new one on me. Yes, the Quick Links are empty. I have NO idea how long that has been like that - and can't even remember what shortcuts that menu provided, to be honest. Other than the header, footer and background, the forum uses third-party forum software, heavily modified to cut all the necessary features out and keep it simple. The trouble is that every time they issue an update, it can overwrite the mods we've made. So, I'll have to put aside a morning or so to dig deep into this and a couple of other issues I've notice in the forum. Sadly, I suspect that it will be some months before I can allocate that time.
Steve Wooler
Gill O
myTobago Nut
myTobago Nut

Post by Gill O »

Hi Steve,

I know one of the links was "unread replies" or topics. I cant remember the exact wording. I think it has been like it for a couple of months.
I often login just to feel a little closer to Tobago, even though there's no chance of us returning this year !

Best wishes,
Gill
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Gill

Ouch, you are quite right. They are important links for regular readers, so I don't feel I can leave it as just a normal scheduled job. However, 4 hours later I still haven't got the answer. They released a new upgrade to the forum a few weeks back and I've managed to prove that it's a clash between some of the dropdown menu code that the forum needs/uses which is clashing with dropdown code for the regular myTobago menus at the top of the page. The trouble is that changing either of these has major implications throughout the site.

Anyway, what I've done as a temporary fix is to put the important quick links on the menu bar as permanent links, rather than as the non-working dropdown. That will at least give you back the functionality whilst I scratch my tired old bonce and try to figure out a way around the problem.

Cheers
Steve
Steve Wooler
Gill O
myTobago Nut
myTobago Nut

Post by Gill O »

I don't envy you Steve. The wonders of computer glitches leaves me cold !
Thank you for giving me the unread posts back =D>

Return to “General Questions & Comment”