17 July - Border to Reopen

Your questions and comment on travel to Tobago
Armand
Tobago Guru
Tobago Guru

Re: 17 July - Border to Reopen

Post by Armand »

Not sure about Virgin as I fly BA, who are showing flights from London out of Gatwick for February. Beaches still not open? Hopefully all being well February might be ok.
Kurt.Halfyard
myTobago Nut
myTobago Nut

Post by Kurt.Halfyard »

We have flights booked, as far as Port of Spain, and a residence in Bon Accord booked.
We're all doublevaxxed.
Still waiting on Air-Bridge final ticket confirmation (from Caribbean Airlines) for December 16th Travel.

Here's hoping that T&T has its protocols in order for international visitors, and we are not blocked out!
PaulMakin
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by PaulMakin »

CAL have just published a new flight schedule for the airbridge with increased flights, cant find it now but the intent is ceratinly demonstrated. My concern if the single point of entry were maintained would have been the very limited PoS-TAB flights (3 daily) could have led to a situation where i missed the last flight over and ended up on standby. Looks like i was overly pessimistic.

International flights into PoS are beginning to increase from both Europe and the northern US so looking good at the moment.

Bars and restos will be allowed to serve alcohol for consumption on the premises from tomorrow. Vaccinated patrons only and 50% capacity. No word on beaches yet.

TnT have been administering the sinopharm/sinovac product - these are not yet accepted by WHO etc and for (a very small) number of travellers this may pose problems on return to Europe/UK.

my neighbour tells me that infrastrucure works for the new terminal building have begun on Store Bay Local Rd - affecting the R hand side (coast or "sea" side) of the road from the carwash place heading towards Canaan it's a mess with clearance work etc. i cant think of anything that's already gone that would affect visitors (my mechanic has though !) but just be aware that moving around is difficult and there is a myriad of guest houses, small enterprises in the area that will be impacted.

regulars will be pleased to hear, however, that the Pennysavers extension (Canaan) is now completed and open
Kurt.Halfyard
myTobago Nut
myTobago Nut

Post by Kurt.Halfyard »

Any advice on getting a PCR test WHILE IN TOBAGO, so that I might easier return to Canada?
Canada still requires a PCR test before returning to the country, and as I understand it, you also need a valid PCR test to fly internationally? I'm not sure if this is the case on Caribbean Airlines. I will look into it, but any infrastructure tips on the TOBAGO (or Port of Spain, Trinidad) side of things would be welcome.
Hugh S
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Post by Hugh S »

Here is the link to the site where you get your Travel Pass and they list all of the requirements. I was told that the test at the airport (TAB) costs more on the weekend- $900 vs $1300 TT (August 2021). You can get it at the hospital too. And they will not let you enter with mixed vaccinations.

https://ttravelpass.gov.tt/

Best of luck
Kurt.Halfyard
myTobago Nut
myTobago Nut

Post by Kurt.Halfyard »

T&T Definition of a fully vaccinated individual:

A person is considered to be fully vaccinated 2 weeks after receiving the final recommended vaccine dose(s) of a WHO-approved vaccine or vaccine combination as indicated below.

List of approved COVID-19 vaccines and vaccine combinations for Trinidad and Tobago:

1. Pfizer-BioNTech - Approved 31st December 2020

2. AstraZeneca - Approved 15th February 2021

3. Janssen (Johnson and Johnson) - Approved 12th March 2021

4. Moderna-NIAID - Approved 30th April 2021

5. Sinopharm BIBP- Approved 7th May 2021

6. Sinovac-CoronaVac - Approved 1st June 2021

7. 1st dose AstraZeneca and 2nd dose Pfizer – BioNTech -Approved 15th June 2021

8. 1st dose AstraZeneca and 2nd dose Moderna-NIAID - Approved 30th July 2021
PaulMakin
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by PaulMakin »

Kurt - when i last looked i saw that testing was available at Piarco but couldn't find any info for Tobago. Not sure that really helps as results turnaround times would mean that you wouldnt have the result in time for travel. Did see a social media type thing which suggested that the provider (St Augustine Med Labs) were hoping to open similar in Tobago but no detail.

If you dont want to trek to the hospital then try enquiring at the Canaan Health Centre in person maybe - always found the staff there helpful and informative. I'd also check with a pharmacist - Sinanan's in Milford Court would be your closest i think. Should be able to advise on alternative availability of testing. I've also used the "Tobago Medical Lab" on Main St in uptown Scarborough for various bits and bobs but don't know if they're offering testing - it's called a lab but they operate a "front of house" walk-in type setup

State of Emergency set to end 30 Nov and no govt plans to seek extension (it is reported !)
Chris Runciman
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by Chris Runciman »

Information updated today 18th November:
Entry to Trinidad and Tobago
BA resumed direct flights to Port of Spain from 15th November 2021 and is expected to resume direct flights to Tobago in January 2022. Other international airlines are scheduled to resume services to Trinidad and Tobago soon. Check their official websites for confirmation and flight information.

Trinidad and Tobago has published travel protocols setting out its entry requirements in relation to COVID-19. Visit the Ministry of Health website for full details. You should read these before your departure and monitor the pages on a regular basis as the requirements may change at short notice. Masks should be worn at all times during your travel to Trinidad and Tobago and your passage through the airport. Social distancing and hygiene protocols are in place.

The Trinidad and Tobago authorities have announced a ban on cruise ships entering until the end of the current cruise season.

Arrive with a COVID 19 negative test
All travellers from the UK must present on arrival a valid negative NASOPHARYNGEAL (nasal swab) RT-PCR test result taken no more than 72 hours (3 days) in advance of your flight’s arrival. Please note that the test can be taken at any time during the day 3 days prior to the date of your arrival in Trinidad and Tobago.

All passengers are also required to apply for a Travel Pass via the following online gateway: ttravelpass.gov.tt up to 72 hours prior to travel, to which they should upload their negative test result. The TTravel Pass can be printed or saved on a mobile device for use to board the flight and to gain entry into Trinidad and Tobago. The TTravel Pass website gives full details on additional entry requirements.

Non-nationals who are NOT fully vaccinated will not be allowed entry to Trinidad and Tobago at this time.

Quarantine for unvaccinated arrivals
Non-nationals who are NOT fully vaccinated will not be allowed entry to Trinidad and Tobago at this time.
GillianM
Getting Hooked
Getting Hooked

Post by GillianM »

Can anyone tell me whether they think it is likely that a flight booked with Virgin Airlines for Jan 1st 22 is likely to fly?
Wait times on the phone to Virgin are over an hour and there is a page on the website dated Nov 9th which says they sadly have to delay starting flights to Tobago due to the Covid situation. You can however book a flight on their portal for Jan 1st with no bother! Sadly the friends I am travelling with, have to go first hand of Jan. Obviously safer going somewhere else but really want to go to Tobago. Any advice welcome.
CTDA Castara Tourism
Tobago Organisation
Tobago Organisation

Post by CTDA Castara Tourism »

Gillian, none of us can second guess future developments alas.............
The post above from me is the latest from UK.gov, the only site to be used.
That and being able to personally speak to the airline, NOT a travel agent!
I read the TT Gov announcements from the prime minister Rowley and their Health Minister who has been keeping everyone up to date.
The local press is only as good as the information they get and how they 'translate' it bearing in mind there is a general election looming!
We all want to return as soon as possible, our flight is the 10th of January, was originally the 7th, on BA.
The BA flight to Port of Spain is restarting and the number of internal flights ( the' air bridge' ) is being increased.
KLM have also announced they are restarting flights via P.O.S. but will that mean your frequent flow test will be out of date by the time to get there via Amsterdam? Still no sign of Condor coming back!
A lot can happen in the next two months!
Kurt.Halfyard
myTobago Nut
myTobago Nut

Post by Kurt.Halfyard »

St. Augustine Med Lab does not do PCR Test (I called them this morning)
The tech/admin said there is a TENT at the A.N.R. Airport (TAB) set up by a private laboratory (Victoria Lab Ltd.) to do PCR testing:

VICTORIA LABORATORY LTD.
PCR Testing, or Antigen Testing
Walk In Available, By Appointment Available.
Contact #1-868-384-7415
Monday - Friday 8am - 5pm
Saturday - 8am - 2pm
CLOSED SUNDAY.

PCR Test results in approximately 5-6hrs
CanadianDreamer
myTobago Groupie
myTobago Groupie

Post by CanadianDreamer »

Hi Kurt,

With further investigation, it looks like the latest 2022 weekday PCR test booking is 3:45 pm and Sat booking is 10:45am (as of Nov 27, 2021). Closed Sunday.

Your mileage will vary: https://vspgroup.wixsite.com/victoriala ... r-rna/book

Thanks for sharing, Kurt. Safe travels.

Bless.
bless and safe travels.

Remember: keep you words soft, someday you be forced to eat them. :oops:
Armand
Tobago Guru
Tobago Guru

Post by Armand »

I hear the beaches are open again, but only in the mornings, is that correct?
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hello Armand

Sadly, yes - they are only open until noon. Ridiculous really because being outside, surely it would make more sense to leave beaches open, but prevent people from assembling in groups.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Kurt.Halfyard
myTobago Nut
myTobago Nut

Post by Kurt.Halfyard »

We have found that while Store Bay, Pigeon Point, Little Bay (Plymouth), and Castara Bay are 'policed' and feel like you would get warned about swimming after noon or at least feel some dirty looks from various folks...
If you are swimming at Bloody Bay, Englishman's Bay, Pirate's Bay, Arnos Vale Bay, Great Courland Bay, or (weirdly, given the resorts and population and such) Mt. Irvine Bay, there are swimmers that violate the rule. I'm sure you would have no issues at Back Bay, King's Bay or King Peter's Bay, although we didn't make it out to either of those beaches this time.

Sadly our 17(ish) days has come to and end. I will miss the island greatly when I am gone, but to be blunt, COVID-19 did not impact our vacation much. Was happy to see the regular folks took everything quite seriously with masks and hand sanitization. We swam in the ocean many, many times, and even got a day of sailing and fishing in with the Picante.
Armand
Tobago Guru
Tobago Guru

Post by Armand »

Thanks for the information Steve and Kurt. Happy New Year to you both, and to everyone in the group!
PaulMakin
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by PaulMakin »

beach timings due for review on friday. no word of whether this include businesses opearting from the beach or not though eg, jet skis, reef tours

just booked my flights - a combination of a hideously overdeveloped sense of loyalty and some "feisty" prricing means i will filfill my current contract before i leave the UK so its mid-March for me. a bit of tinkering with dates got me down to £650 in economy "delight" on Virgin ex LHR and via Barbados. Feels like the old days and the old BWIA Guayana flight routing :D
Kurt.Halfyard
myTobago Nut
myTobago Nut

Post by Kurt.Halfyard »

Have a great trip, Paul. You will not regret your decision. Tobago remains a beautiful and 'self-discoving' GEM of an island, even during COVID-19.

Happy New Year.
Armand
Tobago Guru
Tobago Guru

Post by Armand »

The first BA flight arrived on the 10th, so Iv'e been told. That is great news...

However Paul having to pay £650 for economy on Virgin is a bit steep! Is that a one way fare Paul, or return?
PaulMakin
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by PaulMakin »

Thats return and it is economy "delight" which im told is a (small) step up from basic economy To be fair, thats not too dissimilar from pre-covid prices.

What does immdiately strike though is that economy seats sell out quickly and the price increases dramatically as supply shortens so pre-planning much more important at the moment. Im guessing this is secondary to the routings with Barbados and Antigua bound pax booking up quickly.

94 disembarked from that first flight. Virgin still reporting 29 Jan for their relaunch.

Return to “Air Travel & Getting To Tobago”