travel to tobago through POS

Your questions and comment on travel to Tobago
Pbpamela
Tobago Guru
Tobago Guru

travel to tobago through POS

Post by Pbpamela »

Hello! I am glad to say that we are planning to come to Tobago in February! We live in seattle and can't seem to find a flight that gets us to POS early enough to fly Caribbean air to Tobago. Our flight would get in at 12:33 am so hotel shuttles would likely be over. Is it safe to find a taxi at that time of night to get to a hotel? Any other recommendations about that?

Thank you very much!

Pamela
Chris Runciman
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Re: travel to tobago through POS

Post by Chris Runciman »

There airport ‘hotels’ close by and they are accustomed to people arriving and leaving at all hours! Check with them in advance , you will make it over here don’t worry! Are you coming up to Castara?
PaulMakin
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by PaulMakin »

its not been an issue - many visitors from the US face this problem.

I guess, and Chris may have more current airline information than I, that ensuring that you are through ticketed and confirmed on your POS-TAB leg would be extremely wise. CAL are still rebuilding the air-bridge schedules and standby is still very much a thing

Hopefully Steve will be along shortly - i recall that he has a number of suggested accommodations around Piarco (with the proviso that these will be pre-pandemic)
Pbpamela
Tobago Guru
Tobago Guru

Post by Pbpamela »

Thank you! That is re-assuring. I found a few hotels and I emailed them but haven't heard back. To Chris, I don't know yet if we will be staying near castara. I love the look and feel of the places up there, but we will be windsurfing and it looks like things are at the opposite ends of the island?
Chris Runciman
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by Chris Runciman »

Yes Castara has a completely different ‘vibe’ to the south! They indulge in windsurfing in the south where you are within the reef, off Mt.Irvine etc, Anchor Bar is where to go, a surf spot as wel when the sea is right. Castara is in a bay’ish’ , a fishing village where people tend to take it a bit easier, occasional paddleboards but the swimming is good and there is the opportunity to snorkel or just up the road at Englishmans.
PaulMakin
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by PaulMakin »

Organised winsurfing etc very much a "south" thing really.

There is a very active establishment based at Pigeon Point with rentals, instruction and always good reports. you tend to get the wind blowing around the actual point, prevailing winds usually coming in from the Buccoo area.

Also a lot of kite surfing etc in the Petit Trou area in Lowlands (this is not a "managed" beach facility and i think that he activity centre may be Magdalena based - certainly used to be). This is the Atlantic side and the winds/water are more busy here.

Paddle boarding, kayaking etc also pretty widely available island wide but a little slow for some to be getting back up to speed.

On a logistical note - many accommodations have quite a late check-in so bear this in mind when confirming POS-TAB flights, less problematic with apartment/guest house locations but hotels do need for housekeeping to prep your rooms etc.
Pbpamela
Tobago Guru
Tobago Guru

Post by Pbpamela »

Thank you for all your ideas!

Return to “Air Travel & Getting To Tobago”