safety?

Your questions on medical and security issues
Pbpamela
Tobago Guru
Tobago Guru

safety?

Post by Pbpamela »

We are coming to tobago in february and we are looking forward to it! When I was on these forums a few years ago there were discussions about some crime issues and they seemed more prevalent in certain areas? I seem to remember something about plymouth? or elsewhere?

I am looking at accommodation that is right near fort bennet...any issues there?

I also remember some people saying we shouldn't go on isolated beaches alone?

Any guidance would be appreciated.
Thank you,
Pamela
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Re: safety?

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hello Pamela

I hate answering questions about security because so often it is a matter of perception (i.e. where the visitor is from and what they consider 'safe') and then has no control over the behaviour of the visitor.

There were only two issues that I can recall concerning Plymouth. The first and only serious issue related to visiting Arnos Vale Beach since the hotel closed and then burnt down some years ago. Yes, I would still avoid going there personally - except in a party that included at least two burly lads (or ladettes) :P . It is such a pity because it is a stunning beach and was possibly the best snorkelling venue in Tobago. Sadly, with the hotel grounds closed, getting to the beach involves walking through an area of dense wooded vegetation. I haven't heard of any incidents there for a number of years, so I can only pass on a general and very personal opinion.

The other issue with Plymouth reported here was (I think) my own confrontation with a guy called Andy William (also known as Tuff Skin, Rubber Skin or Coconut Man). He was a nuisance more than a threat and would back off if you stood up to him. My issues with him go back to 2010 and I haven't heard his name mentioned for a good 7 years. So, perhaps the drink has taken its toll.

I have been a regular visitor to Fort Bennet in Black Rock, and that immediate area, and never experienced any problems. The locals there have always be courteous and friendly and I wouldn't hesitate to go back.

The advice to be cautious before visiting isolated beaches still stands - as it would pretty much anywhere in the world. The important thing is to be discrete. Anyone who rolls up anywhere flashing the cash and making a show of expensive cameras and iphones is frankly asking for trouble. :P
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Pbpamela
Tobago Guru
Tobago Guru

Post by Pbpamela »

Thank you Steve, One of the places we are considering staying is the Top O'Tobago cabanas. They are on arnos vale street and describe a path through the woods to the beach - I think that might be arnos vale beach.

One other place that we are considering is Pride of Courland "Royal Tern" - It is above our budget but maybe we can do it for a few days.

Thank you
Pamela
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hello Pamela

Yes, I am well-familiar with Top O'Tobago. They are just a short walk from Arnos Vale Beach and the walk they describe is exactly the one I mentioned above. Not for me!!! We have regularly stayed at Kapinjala, a stunning villa on exactly the opposite side of Arnos Vale Beach. The villa has direct access into the grounds of the Arnos Vale hotel. Despite that, we have always decided that a more prudent approach is called for. The sad part is that according to my contacts, the locals know exactly who the two main culprits were that hassled tourists, but in typical Tobago fashion, nobody will say anything, particularly to the police. So, my advice would be TOp O' Tobago - great - but budget for a car and take the 5-10 minute drive to Courland and/or Grafton beach.

Which moves seamlessly on to Pride of Courland. I know the property well, although I've never been inside the building. It is located right next door to one of our favourite places - Birdie's Nest. Both properties are beside the sea and offer stunning sea views across Courland Bay. The sea outside is generally okay for confident swimmers, but Grafton Beach is just a 2-minute walk away. An ideal location with a wonderful local host.
Steve Wooler
Pbpamela
Tobago Guru
Tobago Guru

Post by Pbpamela »

Thank you very much - that is really helpful. The pride of courland does look lovely, but I just learned that the AC is only in the bedrooms. Do you think it will be hot in the living area? If we have to open everything up are mosquitoes a problem?
LR1947
Newbie Visitor
Newbie Visitor

Post by LR1947 »

Hi I am new on this website and finding it very informative.we are visiting in March this year and staying at the Magdelana ( not sure this is a good move reading the reviews but already booked and paid for ) my query is we are both in our late 70’s and we were hoping to hire a car and discover the island.however we have read reports that there is a lot of crime on the island kidnapping and murder! so needless to say we are now very apprehensive to hire a car and go it alone. Can anybody offer any advise.I look forward to a reply
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hello

Welcome aboard! =D>

Kidnapping and murder? I suspect that you may have been confused by reports about Trinidad's capital, Port of Spain. Rest assured that Tobago is a VERY different island and environment.

Like you, I am in my late 70s, but unlike you ( :P ), I am looking forward to arriving in Tobago in a few weeks and picking up my rental car. For the next 3½ weeks, we shall travel around the island, on our own. Nothing gives me greater pleasure than exploring roads that I don't know and figuring out local shortcuts and cut-through, and of course the different scenery - even though 90% of the time those unknown roads end up in someone's back yard or at a dead end.

The Magdalena hotel offers great facilities, but by far the best way to enjoy Tobago is to hire a car and just GO! Common sense is the obvious golden rule. Enjoy - you will, believe me!
Steve Wooler
Hugh S
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Post by Hugh S »

Good morning Steve!

"A road that you don't know"?

Impossible! :D

8)
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

Flattery will get you everywhere, Hugh! :)
Steve Wooler
JulieE
myTobago Groupie
myTobago Groupie

Post by JulieE »

Hello to all, I've just signed up. I would like to know please how far the Moon Half Blue hotel in Bacolet Street is from the shops/restaurants area of Scarborough and, if it isn't very far, is it safe for women to walk there in the daytime (I would NEVER walk anywhere in T&T at night :shock: )
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hello Julie

Welcome aboard. :D

The Half Moon Blue is about a mile outside Upper Scarborough. This is the commercial sector of the town with very little in the way of consumer shopping and only a handful of take-out outlets. Having said that, it is home to the best local restaurant, The Blue Crab, which is only open at lunchtime.

There is more choice in Lower Scarborough, which will add around 10-15 minutes to your journey. Sadly, Scarborough is virtually devoid of decent dining - unless you like dry fried chicken.
Steve Wooler
JulieE
myTobago Groupie
myTobago Groupie

Post by JulieE »

Definitely not a fan of dried up chicken! 😂 though I am very partial to a shrimp roti.
Getting back to the topic - Is it safe for women to walk during the DAY from the Moon Half Blue Bacolet area into the shop/restaurant area of Scarborough though? I know not to carry anything valuable and just dress casual. I've been to Tobago twice before but it was many years ago now.
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

Sorry Julie - its been one of those days and I realise I didn't fully answer your question.

Your question is difficult to answer. Its a relatively long walk and although much of it is past houses (and even the main Police Station), I can't answer without appearing sexist. The bottom line is that I personally have made that walk and wouldn't hesitate to do so. But, single women face different issues - particularly in Tobago where you are likely to attract the eye of passing Romeos. They may be annoying (or flattering) but seldom cross the line of safety if countered with manners and humour.
Steve Wooler

Return to “Health & Security”