Villa LaHay in Mt Irvine?

Questions or comments should be posted in the property's own sub-forum, below. Use this sub-forum for general accommodation questions and comment. Please DO NOT post accommodation reports in the forum. Reports should be posted in the property's listing in the Accommodation section of the main site, where you will also be able to include a Satisfaction rating with your report.
Pbpamela
Tobago Guru
Tobago Guru

Villa LaHay in Mt Irvine?

Post by Pbpamela »

We are considering Villa LaHay in Mt Irvine for our trip in February.. It looks absolutely beautiful and would be quite a splurge for us. Our questions involve the need for AC and mosquitoes. Only the upstairs bedroom has AC. The beautiful downstairs kitchen/living room area is open. How uncomfortable is it without AC in Tobago. Looking at weather charts and humidity it looks pretty warm. And if everything is open all day does that mean we need to wear mosquito repellant all day too? I hate the stuff!

Any opinions would be appreciated.

Thank you
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Re: Villa LaHay in Mt Irvine?

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Pamela

I hadn't realised that Villa LaHay was back on the rental market. The previous owners had notified us that they had sold the villa, so we marked it as 'off market'.

That villa is set on a hillside and should benefit from the fabulous sea breezes that keep the temperatures in Tobago so perfect. It is quite common for properties to only have a/c in the bedrooms. Get up early and throw the living area doors wide open and the trade winds will keep the house at a nice temperature. What's the point of going there if you are going to be cooped up in a fridge with all the doors and windows sealed shut? :)

Mosquitoes are not the issue they once were. I seldom have anything complimentary to say about the local authorities, but they DO do a good job are pest control, with regular spraying of drains and hotspots on every property. Mosquitoes are only ever an issue from dusk. Sandflies and 'no-see-ums' can be a problem to some people on beaches approaching dusk - but a quick spray of a DEET based repellent around the ankles normally sorts them out. Unless you are particularly prone to insect bites, I wouldn't think it necessary to spray during the day. All I can say is that Tobago is no worse than any tropical location and much better than most. However, if you are prone to insect bites, a quick gentle spray on the arms and legs is normally enough to avoid issues.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Pbpamela
Tobago Guru
Tobago Guru

Re: Villa LaHay in Mt Irvine?

Post by Pbpamela »

Thank you, I see that this response answers my question about pride of courland too. I certainly don't want to be cooped up in a fridge. I just know that some locations don't get a breeze and sometime skitters (mosquitoes) can ruin a walk. Thank you for those thoughtful answers. Now we just have to decide between LaHay and pride of courland royal tern - Two wonderful choices. Any thoughts?

Return to “General Accommodation”