Plymouth - A Warning to Visitors

What to see, what to do, where to go
Kurt.Halfyard
myTobago Nut
myTobago Nut

Re: Plymouth - A Warning to Visitors

Post by Kurt.Halfyard »

I think we had an encounter with this individual when driving into Plymouth on Christmas Day, 2014. He wouldn't let go of my friends arm and kept demanding TT$20 ("something small"). He approached making comments about where Fort James were, but it quickly degenerated into harassment that was a bit difficult to untangle as we were in a jeep with no roof.

We gave him nothing in the end, and were on our way. I only read this post afterwards, but feel that this is the came guy, with the same M.O. as mentioned by Steve and others in this thread.
Bash Ram
Getting Hooked
Getting Hooked

Post by Bash Ram »

Hello Kurt Halfyard,
I was approached twice by the said guy during our stay in Plymouth 3rd to 12th July 2015. The first time he tried to sell me three mangoes for TTD20. at the Courland Monument, I gave him one dollar and took one mango in an effort to get rid of him; it worked!
On the second occassion I took my family to the grocery, Best Buy, to pick up a few items. As we got to our car he accosted us demanding money and grabbing my arm etc. I shrugged him off and he turned to my wife, trying to hold her arm and other similar actions, maybe thinking we would be scared by this and give him money. It was at this point that I got really furious and shouted something like "You want me put a lash on you or what?" On hearing this he beat a hasty retreat as he had probably had similar encounters with the locals. My advice is to give him a sharp buff and put on a "beast face", he'll get the message! :twisted:
Robert T
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Post by Robert T »

he's gotta be treated rough and he backs off straightaway....
Bash Ram
Getting Hooked
Getting Hooked

Post by Bash Ram »

That's right Robert T, I probably made the mistake of buying that first mango making him think I was an easy target. He has a very good memory, I'm sure of this because I spotted him several times after and he just slinked away avoiding eye contact! Don't let these characters spoil your holiday and enjoyment of beautiful Tobago, put them in their place!
Robert T
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Post by Robert T »

Hi Bash,
Believe it or not we made the same mistake of buying that ''luring'' mango on our first trip. :lol: :shock: . Then a few days later we met him again... :evil: .guess he's been avoiding me ever since...
Bash Ram
Getting Hooked
Getting Hooked

Post by Bash Ram »

Hey Robert T,
Sorry for the late reply. Glad to hear he's avoiding you, keep it up. If he ever approaches you again put on your most menacing look and shake your fist at him, he's sure to scamper away! As we say locally "Monkey know which tree to climb"

Have a good one
Bash
Robert T
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Post by Robert T »

Hi Bash,

He's been avoiding me for a ''good'' reason... trust me he won't ever come near me or my wife in the future... :D

Rob

Return to “Sightseeing, Tours, Sport & Activities”