Flyfishing on February 2012

Questions and comment on sport fishing on Tobago
Raspotnig
myTobago Rookie
myTobago Rookie

Flyfishing on February 2012

Post by Raspotnig »

Hi , my name it is Peter and i comming from Austria/ Europe.
In the first , very nice, thats i can find this Forum - i say Thanks !
In the secend , please sorry for me wright english !!!!

I have the plan to booking the Hotel Coco Reef, also i wont rent one Car.
I wont like Flyfishing , so i go with one Rod 9ft.Kl.7 and 9ft.Kl.10 with equipement to the holiday.
Bonefish , Tarpon fishing i prefer.
So i have the question :
It is posible i can rent one Boat with guide ?
It is posible , i go self with one smal Boat outside ?
It is posible from the Beach fishing with the flyrod without Boat ?
And when i go with the Car out from the Coco Reef Hotel , can i find place, weare i can flyfishing from the Beach ?
Sorry , but a lot of questions , i hope , thats you anderstand me .
With me kindest regards from Austria
Peter
Robert T
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Re: Flyfishing on February 2012

Post by Robert T »

HI Peter,

I suggest you read through some of the previous posts and you'll find all the answers you're after.

Rob
Steve Pitts
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Post by Steve Pitts »

Hi Peter

It is possible to hire a boat with guide for fly fishing.
Your best chance would be with Kester Herbert who runs 'Grand Slam' out of Pigeon Point.
Kester will know where the tarpon and bonefish are to be found.
Contact details for Kester and other charters here - http://www.mytobago.info/fishing04.php

I do not know of anyone who will hire a boat for you to fish alone, but you may be able to hire a Kayak either from Coco Reef or Conrado Hotel just along the beach towards Pigeon Point

I thinkthat it is just as good to fish without a boat for tarpon and bonefish
My friend Mike and I do not use guides or boats now and catch many bonefish and hook (and loose) many tarpon.
Snook are also possible by walking to Sandy Point from Coco Reef.

Mike has just returned from Tobago and he has posted 2 reports on his blog here -

http://www.mikeladle.com/archive/catch361.html

http://www.mikeladle.com/archive/catch362.html

Here is a report from February 2011which may be more for you as you are going in February
http://www.mikeladle.com/tackle/tackle246.html

There are many beaches to fish if you drive around the island, but many are not so good for fly fishing because of the surf.

Hope this helps

Steve
Take only photos - leave only footprints. I like that concept.
Raspotnig
myTobago Rookie
myTobago Rookie

Post by Raspotnig »

Manny Thanks Steve for your letters .
So i can sea , thats very easy the fishing it is from the Beach with the Flyrod.
Great , this Forum !!! =D>
Thanks , Peter
Raspotnig
myTobago Rookie
myTobago Rookie

Post by Raspotnig »

We are planning to spend our holidays at Coco Reef. Does anyone know if this is a good place for fishing with the flyrod from the beach ( I mean walking on the beach and not fishing with a boat)? Or are there better places (good hotels) for
this kind of fishing?
Thank you for your replies

Peter
Ronald
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Post by Ronald »

Coco Reef´s own beach is not a natural beach, it´s a private beach made for their guests.

But there´s cliffs/stones against the sea ,and I know that peoples use to fish from there in the morning all the way passing Store Bay Beach and all the way to the southern tip of Tobago. I´m sure that Steve Pitts, or some body else, will give you info about when it´s the best time and what one can expect to catch.
Steve Pitts
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Post by Steve Pitts »

Peter

It is possible to walk (10 minutes) to either Pigeon Point for bonefish or Sandy Point (at the end of the Crown Point airport runway) for tarpon, jacks and snook, fishing with a flyrod, but it is not easy fishing.
Mike has been to Tobago a lot and makes the fishing look easy because of his knowledge.

The water at Pigeon Point is often cloudy, so sight fishing is not good unless you see bonefish tailing, but blind casting is what most people do. Because this area gets lots of people and boats later in the day, it is best to fish at dawn, say 06:30 to 08:30

You may see lots of big tarpon (30kg or bigger) on the beach or rocks between Store bay and Sandy Point - if birds are diving it means the bait fish are there and the tarpon will be there too. There are usually waves of 1m high or more, so fishing with a flyrod, you need to control the line well. Short casts of 10m or less can catch fish though.

Fishing at Coco Reef beach is not often done as the fish are considered to be there for swimmers to watch and enjoy.

Steve
Take only photos - leave only footprints. I like that concept.

Return to “Recreational Fishing”