Back to Tobago

Questions and comment outside the scope of the above topic groups
WBWilly
myTobago Groupie
myTobago Groupie

Back to Tobago

Post by WBWilly »

After 40 years I'm finally going back to the island paradise of my youth. In the late '60s and early '70s I was one of a lucky few to be able to work at Camp Crusoe, or the Blue Waters Inn as it is known today. Over the years I've kept in touch with many of my diving mates from those days and fortunately have been able to remain an active diver...diving many of the great spots in the Caribbean frequently as well as diving weekly at the Tennessee Aquarium as a volunteer.

The purpose of this short note is to thank the administrators and all the contributors for the excellent content. Wherever I travel I always search for pertinent information on the web and this has been a real treasure. I'm certainly jealous of those who have been able to visit this lovely island over the years and I'm optimistic that my stay will be exciting and memorable. We're actually going to stay at BWI and dive with the shop at the hotel.

Again, thanks for so much information...See you in Speyside!
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Re: Back to Tobago

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi WB

Thank you for your kind words. I am delighted that you have found the site of use, partricularly as it comes at a time when the future of forum is poised on a knife-edge. I hope you have a great trip and that BWI and Batteaux Bay don't dissapoint.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
WBWilly
myTobago Groupie
myTobago Groupie

Post by WBWilly »

Why would you think that BWI and Batteaux might disappoint?
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Post by Paul Tallet »

I wouldn't.

I love the BWI and Batteaux Bay ... nice chill.

Regards
Paul Tallet
Public Relations Consultant for Mother Nature
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi WB

I primarily meant that "going back" can often be a mistake. Take an example. I grew up in Guyana - just a short hop from Tobago. I had a truly wonderful childhood and absolutely hated it when my parents decided to return to England, which I hated initially. My childhood is full of great memories. However, I've never been back. The country has gone to the dogs and I know that if I went back, I would shatter all those memories. Living in cloud-cuckoo land? Maybe - but its my cloud cuckoo land and nobody's going to take it away from me.

It's a little the same with Batteaux Bay. It is one of the most gorgeous places on Tobago and one of my personal favourites. It is marginally pipped to top place by Arnos Vale, which suffers from the same propblesm - they are both owned by uncaring Trindadian owners who are sitting back allowing both to rot away. Such a crying shame.
Steve Wooler
WBWilly
myTobago Groupie
myTobago Groupie

Post by WBWilly »

I understand and it's true...you can never go back. Bonaire in 1970 was incredible in many ways and it is still incredible in many ways.I'm sure Tobago has gone through many changes, good and bad, in the time I've been absent but I'm not expecting things to be the same except for the natural beauty of the island and the people. I understand that some the men who worked at the camp are still around and now their children work at BWI and in the dive shop so I'm anxious to check up on some folks. Also, even though I'll be there at the end of the wet season I'm hoping the Orinoco won't spoil my diving...we'll see.
Thanks again for all the info.
SallyMevans
Getting Hooked
Getting Hooked

Post by SallyMevans »

Steve Wooler wrote:Hi WB

Thank you for your kind words. I am delighted that you have found the site of use, partricularly as it comes at a time when the future of forum is poised on a knife-edge. I hope you have a great trip and that BWI and Batteaux Bay don't dissapoint.
Hi Steve

Have I missed something? Why is the future of forum "poised on a knife edge"? This is a fabulous forum with an excellent insight into this beautiful island. It would be a real blow for it to fold. Many of us would have withdrawal symptoms if we could not have our daily fix! We all appreciate all the effort you put in. Thank you.

I agree that it is difficult to go back to the place of one's childhood. However, Tobago is so beautiful that it is hard to believe that one will never go back!

Hi WB

Hope you have an amazing time and I look forward to hearing how you get on. I remember diving off Little Tobago in the late 60's and early 70's..I did a week's camp there. Don't remember the name of the camp but we all had a great time.(Maybe we were there together!) Have fun!

Sally
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Sally

For us, Tobago was a place to chill and relax, away from the stresses of modern life. This site was created and run for the benefit of similarly-minded visitors.

Sadly, if this forum is anything to go by, we now appear to be in a minority. I am still too angry to talk about it publicly, but the treatment given by forum members to a visitor who dared to publicise problems that we are well aware of, and have been working hard to resolve for many months, just sickened me. If this is the face of the new Tobago, then I simply want no part of it and must accept that this site has run it's course.
Steve Wooler
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Post by Paul Tallet »

I know what Steve is on about and even I made a protest at the post although I clearly was not aware of the situation ... neither could I believe that this was going on.

I apologise to this visitor.

I must also say that it seems a Committee has been formed to deal with these issues and that can only be positive.

I hope it gets sorted out and we can start smiling again.

Regards
Paul Tallet
Public Relations Consultant for Mother Nature
WBWilly
myTobago Groupie
myTobago Groupie

Post by WBWilly »

Sally,
The only camp I know of was Camp Crusoe in Speyside run by a very nice couple, Ann and Bill Petry. I was lucky enough to have worked there during parts of four summers-'68-'71 and yes we did have a girls session for three years. The camp has been turned into a small hotel, the Blue Waters Inn and also has one of the better dive shops on the island, Aquamarine. Maybe you could dive into you memory bank and remember a few of the folks that were there...probably Peter Hughes, Michael Hughes, Cynthia Faust, Johnny Armsby...could go on and on. If anything sounds familiar send me a note and I'll pas on some old photos and the link to a book that one of the guys has written about the camp.

Thanks for the good words,
BH
SallyMevans
Getting Hooked
Getting Hooked

Post by SallyMevans »

Hi WB

I would have been about 12 or 13 when I did the camp-sorry I do not remember any of the names you mention but I would love to have the link to the book about Camp Crusoe. (Would also love to see the photos but not sure how to arrange personal messaging on this forum).

I know what Steve means when he says he would rather not revisit the place of his childhood. I went back after 18 years and was upset to see some of my old haunts had fallen into disrepair. The old Robinson Crusoe Hotel had burnt down, Arnos Vale was run down and the pool was green and the Blue Haven Hotel was a Police Station! However, I still dream of the Tobago from my childhood and no other islands have ever matched up to Tobago.

When we return to the places of our youth we need to be prepared to expect changes, good and sad! I feel privileged to have been born and brought up in such a wonderful place. I understand why many of the forum members feel so passionately for such a gorgeous and unique island.

Sally
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

Still no change on Arnos Vale then, Sally. :roll:

The forum's private messaging facility was disabed primarily to simplify the page. As you can imagine, researching holiday destinations is one of the biggest domestic uses of the Internet. A very substantial sector of our readership are non-technical and we need to keep things as simple as possible. Research and feedback that a large number of people were (and still are) totally confused by the forum and how to use it. Stripping out non-essential facilities was my way of trying to help.

As you will appreciate, I can't give out email addresses. Neither do I recommend people giving out their email addresses in a public forum (nasty little spam robots trawl web sites 'harvesting' email addresses). However, I am always happy to put people in touch with each other. So, anyone can contact me at any time if they would like me to pass their email on to another member.
Steve Wooler
WBWilly
myTobago Groupie
myTobago Groupie

Post by WBWilly »

Sally, Here's the link to a nice book about Camp Crusoe. http://www.whirlwyndpress.com/
Check it out when you have time. Ask Steve for my email.
BH
SallyMevans
Getting Hooked
Getting Hooked

Post by SallyMevans »

Hi WB

Had a look at the link for the book and it looks great. Will have to find out how to get it sent here (New Caledonia!) I would think that other My Tobago readers might also find it very interesting.

Steve, I understand why you disabled the PM service on this site and am happy for you to give WB my email address. I still find it a very sophisticated web site and it is obviously well frequented by visitors searching for info on Tobago.

The book mentions the Walt Disney film "Swiss Family Robinson" and forum readers might like to know that the original black and white version was filmed in Tobago. Shows lovely scenery on the beaches and in the coconut plantations if you get a chance to see.

Sally
Hugh S
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Post by Hugh S »

Regarding Swiss Family Robinson, not sure if this has been posted before:

http://miehana.blogspot.com/2010/10/swi ... found.html

Enjoy, Hugh 8)
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

Thanks for that link, Hugh. Very interesting.

The original 1960 production of Swiss Family Robinson was mainly filmed on Bacolet Bay Beach and the film crew and stars based in the Blue Haven Hotel. Yes, various other locations around the island were used and so it is perfectly possible that the treehouse was in Goldsborough, I guess.
Steve Wooler
SallyMevans
Getting Hooked
Getting Hooked

Post by SallyMevans »

Thanks Hugh for the link to the Blogspot. It's great reading!

My father was the Doctor for the film and my parents told me of many tales of my adventures on the film set! I was only 3 so I don't remember and unfortunately all the photos are lost. I actually played in that treehouse!!

I looked long and hard at the tree but no memories came back! Would be great to give the tree a plaque and some recognition but if it is on private ground it may not be possible.

Sally
Hugh S
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Re: Back to Tobago (Swiss Family)

Post by Hugh S »

Here's an interesting old photo on Flickr:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/miehana/45 ... hotostream

Enjoy, Hugh 8)
Jazz557
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Post by Jazz557 »

Steve Wooler wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:38 pm Thanks for that link, Hugh. Very interesting.

The original 1960 production of Swiss Family Robinson was mainly filmed on Bacolet Bay Beach and the film crew and stars based in the Blue Haven Hotel. Yes, various other locations around the island were used and so it is perfectly possible that the treehouse was in Goldsborough, I guess.
Bacolet Bay was used for the filming of the movies ‘Fire Down Below’ and ‘Heaven Knows Mr. Allison’. Both movies were filmed in in 1957.

However, contrary to what some believe, Bacolet Bay was NOT used in the filming of this movie. Only the stars John Mills (Father Robinson) and Kevin Cochran (Young Francis) stayed at Blue Haven Hotel at Bacolet Bay. Some of the other actors stayed at Dela Mera Hotel in Bacolet. Dorothy McQuire stayed at Arnos Vale Hotel.

Source of information - Mr Clifford Cook. He was one of six taxi drivers at Blue Haven Hotel in Bacolet and became the driver for the main crew of electricians (Sparks) for the movie. I interviewed Mr. Cook in May 2019
Jazz557
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Post by Jazz557 »

The Samaan tree used for the Swiss Family treehouse is located in Cow Farm Road just off the Windward Road, in Goldsborough. It is located in the compound of Robert’s Garage. Robert died in 2017 and the garage is now under new management.

The tree was first damaged by hurricane Flora in 1963. It also suffered some burn damage to part of its base in 2018. Both of the lower branches of the tree have broken off.

SWISS FAMILY MOVIE SITES REVISITED - a revisit 60 years later, of filming locations used by Walt Disney in the movie:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=13142

SWISS FAMILY ROBINSON FILM LOCATION - DO IT YOURSELF TOUR GUIDE MAPS:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=13146

Return to “General Questions & Comment”