Never telling people where you are staying

Your questions on medical and security issues
AshleyMills
myTobago Groupie
myTobago Groupie

Never telling people where you are staying

Post by AshleyMills »

Hi,

I'm going to Tobago in June and really looking forward to it. It will be my first time in the Caribbean so I'm very excited.

In reading the safety instructions, one of the common pieces of advice is: "don't tell anyone where you are staying".

I was thinking about this, and then started to worry about something. If I go into a beach bar or something and get chatting to the barman/woman surely one of the first things they are going to ask is "oh, whereabouts are you staying"? Is this likely?

Also, if someone asks me where I'm staying, anyone got an idea of a good response that doesn't come over as hostile?

Ash
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Re: Never telling people where you are staying

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Ash

Welcome aboard! :)

Firstly, don't imagine for a minute that anyone who asks you where you are staying is doing so has ulterior motives. They are only being polite (after all, none of them will have stayed at any of the places you are likely to or be looking for advice/recommendation personally). They will mostly be expecting you to reply with a hotel name. If you're staying in a rental property, just give them the name of the district/village/area you are staying - there's very little chance of them knowing the villa by name anyway. Just be vague - “I’m hopeless at directions. It’s down at the back of the Bon Accord development”. The point is that any sensible, honest bar owner will know and understand why you are being evasive and so will not press you – if they do, then that’s when you need to be particularly careful. If they don’t take the hint immediately and say “I know that area, what’s the villa called” just reply “we’re staying with friends and I didn’t notice”. If they still press, then alarm bells should be ringing and you would be advised to give them a totally misleading answer.

In truth, telling people where you are staying is not normally an issue. It is a piece of advice that ranks alongside suggestions that you don’t walk around with fancy watches and jewellery, or flashing the cash. Common sense is all it takes 99% of the time! There aren’t that many incidents and when they do happen, you wouldn’t believe how often it turns out that the victims were less than scrupulous about their own safety. Nobody invites robbery, no matter how drunk/stupid/careless they might be, but we should all take responsibility for our own actions.

However, never, ever, ever invite a local back to your villa. Would you go to a bar at home, get chatting to someone then ask them back to your home. No - so why should Tobago be any different?

Don't worry, you'll have a wonderful holiday. :D
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
AshleyMills
myTobago Groupie
myTobago Groupie

Post by AshleyMills »

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the great answer. I'll use my head with these tips and I'm sure everything will be fine :)
Elizabeth.W
Tobago Guru
Tobago Guru

Post by Elizabeth.W »

Hello, I am a new member of this website. Thank you so much Steve, it has given me confidence to book an apartment. I do wonder if I am crazy going alone, but I am sure I will be fine if careful. Any advice for a solo traveller?
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hello Elizabeth

Welcome aboard. :)

No, you are far from crazy. You would be astonished how many singles, of both sexes, holiday on Tobago each year. I can't say that I have any special advice for solo travellers, other than that already shown in the post above, and in the various posts in this section of the forum. The bottom line comes down to common sense. Don't be lulled into a feeling of false security by the way people treat you - that's where so many people get caught out. However, I stress that that is something that applies anywhere in the world; its just that Tobago is so relaxed that its easy to drop your guard.
Steve Wooler
Elizabeth.W
Tobago Guru
Tobago Guru

Post by Elizabeth.W »

Do you think that end of Sept is too late for the hatching turtles? I have read of various periods of time, I would so love to see them.
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

September is very late to see hatchlings, but world seasons are so screwed these days that anything is possible - but doubtful I suspect.
Steve Wooler
Brian Taylor
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by Brian Taylor »

Ha, had some hatching in Castara even in October :)
Stephanie & Brian "Alibaba" Taylor
Alibaba-Tours - http://www.Alibaba-Tours.com

Return to “Health & Security”