Lunch

Your questions and comment on restaurants and dining out
Stephen Rw

Lunch

Post by Stephen Rw »

The family are visiting Tobago in a few weeks (Oct 14-28)- our first trip to the island. Two adults, two children (age 10 & 8). -We are all rather excited. The kids go to bed early so lunch is a big family event, where do you suggest and why?
Marc Jones

Post by Marc Jones »

We enjoyed lunch at Shore things.

Not spectacular, just very friendly and nice food.

Bonkers may be worth a visit, my son liked the parrot and toucan there!
Roel le Pair
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by Roel le Pair »

Hi Stephen, we are family quite similar to yours (2 adults, kids 12 & 10). We use to have lunch about twice a week at Bonkers (Toucan Inn), indeed also to have a warm meal during the day and a lighter meal in the evening. Both my wife and I, as well as the kids love it there, not too much choice (but good is good and worth to repeat!) good quality, friendly service makes it complete.
All this already 3 years in a row ! (and more to come!)
Roel le Pair
Sherwood Park Apartments
www.sherwood-park.com

My photos: http://gallery.mac.com/roellepair
Steve Fifield

Post by Steve Fifield »

Lunch at the Seahorse Inn is very good, and convenient for a great day on the beach. You said that the kids go to bed early - how early is early? In Tobago it will be dark by 6:30PM anyway, and most restaurants serve from 7:00PM, so it doesn't have to be a really late evening.

Steve F.
Julia C.
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!

Post by Julia C. »

We were amazed about our sleeping habits on Tobago. We're both usually very late night owls, but on Tobago we were normally in bed anytime between 10pm and midnight and up anytime between 6 and 8am quite happily. Unheard of behaviour on our previous holidays! :lol:

But back to the question - restaurants for lunch - where are you staying or will you have a car and drive about the Island a bit?
Joe King

Post by Joe King »

Hi Stephen,

First question, where are you staying on the island?

If you are near Crown Point, then yes Bonkers is definitely worth a visit, they do sandwiches (toasted or plain) and there is also a choice of chicken, fish or Burgers. The burgers are homemade and fantastic. The choice is limited and the same every day, but we had lunch there about 10 days out of 14 and we never got bored or had a bad meal. I can't remember the exact prices but it was definitely not expensive.

Personally I thought Jemma's treehouse was a fantastic spot for lunch, we stopped there while on an island tour. It has been given mixed reviews on here before, but I would reccommend it.

Again if we knew where abouts you were staying you would get more local establishments.

Joe
Stephen Rw

Post by Stephen Rw »

Thanks for the great feedback- keep it coming. We are renting a house (Montgomery House) Only 15kms from Crown Point. Turtle Beach about 5kms. Stonehaven Bay and Grafton Beach about 8kms away.
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Stephen

Montgomery House is a really lovely old-Colonial style property at Arnos Vale. You are in for a real treat. However, the very isolation that makes it such a wonderful property equally means that there are virtually NO facilities, such as restaurants, within easy reach. Your first essential is going to be a car. You MUST have a car at Montgomery House unless you are going to entirely self-cater and rely upon your housekeeper to do local shopping for you.

The nearest restaurants are the Arnos Vale hotel and associated Arnos Vale Waterwheel restaurant. The former is within walking distance (10 mins), but not the latter. The Waterwheel also seems to keep very erratic hours, so don't rely upon it being open (I'm not even sure if they do lunch).

After that, your nearest choice is a couple of local eatieries in Plymouth (see our Restaurant list) and then - in order of distance - Amadeus (not lunch) the Seahorse Inn, Pavillion Restaurant (Stonehaven Villas), Indigo, Polo Bar, La Tartaruga (not lunch), Patino's, Me-Shells, La Terrazza, Melange and Shirvan Watermill. Not all these are necessarily open for lunch and I've excluded small local restaurants in Black Rock which get much negative comment. By the time you've got to the Shirvan Watermill and the end of the Shirvan Road, you've already driven 20 minutes from Montgomery House, but the next 10 minutes will take you to all the other places mentioned for Crown Point (like Bonkers).
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Stephen Rw

Post by Stephen Rw »

Steve, car is booked via Yes and your web site has been invaluable in gathering info. Its a shame we are unlikly to be able to get access to it whilst we are in Tobago so my printer has been busy and I am bringing the mass of printed paper with me, poor rain forest I'll have most of it in my case.
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

Well, a small laptop and a copy of the myTobago CD-ROM not only gives you the information, but helps to support this site and keep it going.
Steve Wooler
Stephen Rw

Post by Stephen Rw »

How much are your lap tops?
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Stephen

I was only pulling your leg. Who is sad enough to go on holiday with a laptop - other than me (only this morning I've ordered a padded aluminium flight transit trunk to ship several grand's worth of gear including two laptops and host of pro camera equipment that we shall be taking out next year).

Enjoy!!!

Regards
Steve
Steve Wooler
Anbjørn Grindheim

Post by Anbjørn Grindheim »

Steve Wooler wrote:Hi Stephen

I was only pulling your leg. Who is sad enough to go on holiday with a laptop - other than me (only this morning I've ordered a padded aluminium flight transit trunk to ship several grand's worth of gear including two laptops and host of pro camera equipment that we shall be taking out next year).
Oh, there are more sads amongst us. We're heading to Tobago this weekend and I'm currently moving over files to my laptop which I'm going to bring with me.
Anbjørn Grindheim

Anbjørn Grindheim wrote:
Steve Wooler wrote:Hi Stephen

Oh, there are more sads amongst us. We're heading to Tobago this weekend and I'm currently moving over files to my laptop which I'm going to bring with me.
...which brings forward another question, I'm obiously to late in ordering your cd, but you might have a reseller on Tobago? :?:
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

I'm afraid not, Anbjørn. They're not a 'stock' item. The site changes on a daily basis, so every CD is burned to order so that it contains the very latest copy of the site.

Anyway, have a great trip. You don't want to go TOO researched-up or you will miss the excitement of discovering things.
Steve Wooler
Anbjørn Grindheim

Steve Wooler wrote:Anyway, have a great trip. You don't want to go TOO researched-up or you will miss the excitement of discovering things.
Don't worry, it's primarly for emptying the camera memory card. Thanks anyway!

Return to “Restaurants, Food & Drink”