Don't leave Castara without having dinner at Sandcastles

Your questions and comment on restaurants and dining out
Mathias Nielsen

Don't leave Castara without having dinner at Sandcastles

Post by Mathias Nielsen »

After spending a couple of wonderful weeks in Tobago we would like to highlight an exellent place to dine just in the outskirts of Castara - Adam and Ria's Sandcastle. After being rcommended this place from our guesthouseowner we ended up eating there three nights - we just had to!

The first night we had a huge and freshly caught Redsnapper wrapped in local herbs served with sweet corn, cheese grated potatoes and greek salad - we had a choise between four different wines and everything tasted just wonderful (it's the only place that we've had an entire fish served - other places tend to serve only a couple of pieces - yammi!)

Second night we had Tenderloin steaks and the third night a local exotic meal including pork!

Adam is a great chef - he does his best to fullfill your every need - and in our case he succeded comletely!! The view from their terasse is outstanding - rainforest and the carribean Sea and the atmosphere is quite special - the price is inexpensive compared to what you get - we paid between 100-120 TT. Sandcastle is a must if you go to this part of Tobago!

Have a nice holiday everyone - Rebecca and Mathias
Joanne Green
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!

Post by Joanne Green »

Great report, Mathias!! What other restaurants in Castara did you try? Which ones were good and which ones not so good? We are going nest month and would like you opinions.
Emma Hetherington

Us too!

Post by Emma Hetherington »

We're due to stay @ Blue Mango - Cliff Top - for 2 weeks from end Feb till mid march - would really like recomendations within walking distance - particularly for that first night, when jet lagged, disorientated and totally spaced out and still full of the 'wonderful' (not) airline junk!!!!

All info gratefully received!

Thanks Emma
Brian Taylor
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by Brian Taylor »

if you don't arrive on a saturday the boathouse in little bay is supposed to be open. great food in walking distance!!!
if you want to be sure that they are open when you arrive, you can order from home by phone in advance: 001 868 660 7354
how where your cocnut shrimps, steve w& jill? :wink:
Stephanie & Brian "Alibaba" Taylor
Alibaba-Tours - http://www.Alibaba-Tours.com
Julia C.
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!

Post by Julia C. »

Hi Emma
Depending on whether you're plane arrives on time and how you react to the heat and new surroundings, you may not feel like going out to eat once you've arrived. We didn't.
So just incase you don't I'd stongly advise picking up some provisions on the way from the airport. If you email Colin your flight number and arrival time he'll organise a taxi to pick you up from the airport - cost about TT$250, if I remember rightly.
Ask the taxi driver to stop of at Penny Savers. We did this, but our taxi driver suggested it would be easier to pick up everything we wanted in Castara and took us to a shop in Castara instead. This was OK, but the chioce was limited and it's not a supermarket so you have to ask for everything. With our tired muddled minds, in strange surroundings, with unknown brands this was hard work. It would have been easier to walk around a supermarket, picking up things as we saw them. When we go next (31st March) we'll insist on Penny Savers. (I'm more than happy to support the local shops in Castara, but just not on that first night.)
Another option would be to ask Colin if the Clay Kitchen (the restaurant at the Blue Mango) will be open. It wasn't though when we were there.
If you do feel like venturing out and it is open, the Boat House is certainly one of the closest eating places. It wasn't open when we were there, but if it is when we go back we'll certainly be going there as we've heard all good things about it and it's in a lovely spot.
The path to the Boat House, and the little bay, from the Blue Mango is .... difficult to describe. From the Cliff Hanger follow the path away from the main entrance, take a torch and don't were heels or strapless sandles. It winds down the slope through the trees and bushes. There are some steps but they tend to get covered up with leaves and mud and it can be a bit slippery when it's been raining. Once at the bottom of the path step or jump over the drainage ditch to get on the road. Follow the road a very short distance to the left, downhill and the Boat House is to your right on the beach.
The other nearest place is Vera's, The Almond Tree. To get there you go the other way. Out of the main entrance of the Blue Mango and go right, down the road to the beach. Go past the Naturalist and Vera's is a little further on at the back of the beach. Sometimes though she wasn't open when we were there or she may just shut early if she hasn't any customers. We can certainly recommend the food and company at Vera's. The Naturalist has an Internet Cafe on the beach, but I'm not certain if they do evening meals or not. Maybe someone else knows? If they do, it is certainly the nearest, unless the Clay Kitchen is open.
That's just the nearest ones, Marguarite's was also one of our favourites, but is a bit further away. It's on the main road next to the school, about a five minute (or so) walk with a few steep bits. If you decide to eat here on your first night I'd ask the taxi to stop there on the way and book a table.
In a two week stay you'll have plenty of opportunity to try all the restaurants in Castara, it's fun and all the ones we tried were reasonably priced.
Mathias - Interesting to read about eating at Sandcastles, I didn't know they did food. Where abouts in Castara is it?
Sorry for length of post and amount of detail - once I started I couldn't stop! :lol:
Sue B

Post by Sue B »

Hi,
I have been really interested in this post as we shall be staying in Castara from mid Feb for 2 weeks, and it will be our first visit to Tobago. I know too well the jet lagged first night, tired and hungry, OD'd on airline hospitality? We will be staying in the Beach House which is in Little Bay so, assuming that the Boathouse is open on a Thursday, when we arrive, this does seem like a good option. Looks like trying to stop off at Pennysavers on the way would also be a good idea. Of course all this is assuming that our Excel flight is not delayed by too much!, any other suggestions would be appreciated.

counting the days :D ,

Sue B
Neil Patton

Eating at Castara

Post by Neil Patton »

Hi Emma We are in Castara same time as you, staying at Porridges Place so our paths will no doubt cross as we try all the available bars in Castara!!

Neil
Brian Taylor
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by Brian Taylor »

the penny savers is opened until 9 p.m. and there are two seven-elevens on the way to castara (one is called "busy foods") the driver should know them.
it might be a problem to eat out if you arrive very late... except you call in advance to make sure they wait for you.
the boathouse is right beside the beachhouse, so it would be very convenient. if you are too late, I fear you have to eat a sandwich and start the next day...by the way, boathouse does breakfasts if you make a reservation in advance....coconut bake...yummy...
David Watkins
Bude Cool Boy
Bude Cool Boy

Post by David Watkins »

Don't forget the Treetop Restaurant at the Cascreole this on the beach on the other side of the Bay.Sharrans bake and fruit for breakfast yummy!David in the sunshine!!!!!!
Sue B

Post by Sue B »

Brian,
We are so sad! we always travel with a tin of salmon and some crackers incase of emergencies and late flights; everywhere closed when we arrive at our destination, so yes we can survive until next day. Breakfast sounds like an excellent compromise. Meanwhile it has started snowing here, soon I shall start counting the hours rather than the days. Thanks for you suggestions,

Sue B
Emma Hetherington

Thank you all so much

Post by Emma Hetherington »

This really is a special site - thank you all so much for your responses - not that I'm constantly thinking of eating (much!) but just know what that arrival feeling is like.

Julia what a star - instructions, telephone numbers what more can we want!!! (Just hope we don't encounter another Ivan like you did!). Oh by the way did I mention I have an unshakeable belief that it won't rain or be muddy when we're there!!!! Oh yeah, I hear those of you who are already there - sorry guys but looks like it's getting better - a bit - maybe???

In theory (?) we arrive @ 18.40 so maybe we should just think of being @home that night (and bfast suggestions sound just great) and do the shop @ Penny Savers - but as previous post all suggestions gratefully rsvd!

Can't wait - so dreary, grey and COLD here!
Julia C.
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!

Post by Julia C. »

:oops: Brian or Steph posted the phone number - but thanks for the star comment. 8)

I'd go with your "unshakeable belief", but some rain does add to the whole experience. My biggest fear is another hurrican when we're there again. If that happens I reckon we'll be seen as a bad influence and never allowed back!!!! :shock: :wink:
Gabrielle E

Post by Gabrielle E »

For those staying at the Beach House/Porridge's Place, if Porridge is picking you up from the airport I'm sure he will stop off at Penny Savers on the way back to Castara. He did with us, and I'm sure it's part of the routine! Worth stocking up a bit there if you can get your head round it after the flight as the stock range in the shops in Castara isn't huge.
AdamHanlon

Post by AdamHanlon »

Thank you for your kind words.
It was lovely to meet you and even better to feed you.

.......It's Guest's like you that make us want to do our jobs......

There are lots of nice places to eat in Castara at the moment
Margarates prawns are quite delicious...Debbie at Cascroel as as always a wizz in the kitchen..Rebecca,s (welcome home and well done girl !) clay kitchen is back cooking up a storm..........Thomas Thursday BBQ Sea level.....Hazel and max on the bay crab and dumplin please..........Vera for a roti in the afternoon, now no longer a long walk it's right on the beach....you can even get breakfast on the beach i hear.............
then there's us............. yes it is true we have started cooking for our friend's guest's as well as our own and well their response has almost been overwhelming the full eating area will be finished by mid march- april but at the moment we are catering for groups of 2 -4 or 6 on our verander.
Bookings only as we wouldnt want to disapoint anyone.

After a rainy start it looks like its going to be a fantastic season we hope you all love our island at least as much as we do.
hi Steve heard you were in Castara would have loved to have cooked you a meal... maybe next time...

Adam
Marko C

Post by Marko C »

Hi Adam

Thank you for this lovely report, we are on the way to Castara from 29.1.(tomorow) we stay at Ancle house.So we 100% meet you and your house, we try to find you
:?: :!:
Marko from snowy Slovenia with -12 degrees C :twisted:
Brian Taylor
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by Brian Taylor »

hey adam...half you mind was in the kitchen already I guess... :D
forgot the boathouse...brenton's excellent cooking (breakfast by reservation)....
in all wedo have a great choice here, don't we....
still waiting for marvins.....
AdamHanlon

Post by AdamHanlon »

Hi all
yes running around madly as usual just finished painting
( today im mainly workin in yellow) and now its red snapper for four in red not yellow which is a shame.
how could i forget the Boat house
sorry Brenton
And he works so hard as well.... love him.

And yes marvin is workin hard to get ready for when he's ready to open....... which in its self is a very Tobagan saying and almost a code for life.
So we will see you when we see you
and things will be ready when there ready......... man.
8)
Adam

Return to “Restaurants, Food & Drink”