Our recent visit to Tobago

Your questions on medical and security issues
Bryn

I find it so interesting that those who dislike Tobago...

Post by Bryn »

are still frequenting this forum. I would have thought they'd be too busy planning their next vacations to 'more developed' countries like the UK and France ;-)

Bryn
A true Tobago lover and enthusiast :-)
Terence H

Post by Terence H »

I always understood that Trinidad and Tobago was one of the richest nations in the caribbean?

The income generated from oil and gas has been enormous.

Of course what the government does with that income is a different matter.
Perhaps Trinidadians and Tobagans should be asking where all the money has gone.
Brian Taylor
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by Brian Taylor »

don't know really about all this poverty talk
tobagonians are not poor. if they live in shabby houses sometimes, have a look inside at their pc's, their tv's their cell phones and in the garage at their tuned cars. people here might have different priorities....
try to get some workers here and you will see that they are not keen on getting a job, there is just no need to. most tobagonians just work as much as they nedd to get what they want, not more.... and isn't that a healthy way of life... no worries.
there are so many chances to earn money on the island, just noone is taking them....
so stop the poverty talk!
Stephanie & Brian "Alibaba" Taylor
Alibaba-Tours - http://www.Alibaba-Tours.com
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Post by Steve Wooler »

Well said, Steph. Maybe the World Bank or UN-related bodies should do something about London, where I've seen far greater poverty than anywhere on Tobago.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Jill M
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!

Post by Jill M »

I also agree Steph. The tobagonians don't need the money - they have everything else in Paradise. I would swap all my money & possessions for their lifestyle. Have you seen the size of the smiles on their faces :D

Jill.
David Watkins
Bude Cool Boy
Bude Cool Boy

Post by David Watkins »

I totally agree with Steph.Tobagonians are most definiteley not poverty stricken,most villages,even small ones boast community centres and schools and medical centres.Look at the children,how clean and smart they are.Have you seen a child begging?
They are rich in their way of life and their environment,and oh how I envy them!Still I'll be back in a few more months,
David
Maria

tourism concern

Post by Maria »

just found a v interesting site - http://www.tourismconcern.org.uk - which discusses all the issues discussed above- the gulf between the wealth of tourists and the income levels of the people living in tourist destinations who make 'dream holidays' possible through service jobs.
it even has a photo exhibition: 'Behind the Smile'.
Bryn

Maria....your "interesting" site has absolutely

Post by Bryn »

nothing to do with Tobago! I think you may have Tobago pixed up with the Congo! Are you sure you actually went to Tobago??

As for the huge gap between the wealthy tourists and the poor people....Tobagonians are most definitely not poor. Did you see all the satellite dishes on the houses? the cell phones? the amount of cars? They have all the same luxuries we have plus they live in paradise. How arrogant of you to suggest that you have a better lifestyle than they do!! I would gladly give up my so called North American lifestyle to live the Tobagonian one!

Bryn
Vancouver, BC
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Post by Paul Tallet »

Maria

You seem convinced that Tobago falls into some type of third world category.

I like the site and have bookmarked it for future reference in case I try visiting the places to which it refers.

But I do not see anything in the site that could be relevant to Tobago apart from the promotion of 'conscientious tourism' geared to protecting environments and promoting the avoidance of large tour operators that can monopolise tourism and deprive local businesses from benefitting from the trade that visitors bring.

For me ... Tobago is full of riches and qualities that many other countries will never have ... both in it's people and in it's environment ... plus there is a fair degree of protection from huge tourist development, what with an uninhabitable rainforest and strict regulations on development.

I suppose it is all down to what you like or approve of ... as an individual.

Maria ... may I ask why you persist with the notion that Tobago needs help?

Regards
Paul Tallet
Public Relations Consultant for Mother Nature
Anthony P

Post by Anthony P »

I guess it makes a nice “issue” to discuss with trendies while lunching in Knightsbridge. It must be so nice to feel so superior and yet be so blind to the poverty, squalor, deprivation and violence within a mile or two of your London home.
Maria wrote:I would think twice about going on holiday in a less developed country again.
You stun me, Maria. What a silly statement.
Maria wrote: I simply meant less developed country as in LDC - jargon, i know, sorry.
Maria – who are you trying to impress? Sad, sad, sad!

Now I understand why you put so much faith in Foreign Office travel advice (and, worse still, believe it).
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

Anthony – your post is tantamount to flaming.

Whilst I certainly don’t agree with her, Maria is entitled to express her views - as are you. Although we appreciate your contribution, I must ask you to refrain from personal attacks.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Post by Paul Tallet »

Oh dear.

I hope Anthony's post does not discourage Maria from continuing to express her views which I find constructive even though some people (including myself) may not agree with them.

Regards
Paul Tallet
Public Relations Consultant for Mother Nature
Cornelia Montgomery

Post by Cornelia Montgomery »

T&T comes out quite well in this list of poverty levels by country. I'm sure the source isn't anyone's favorite, but here it is, for what it's worth:

http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/fac ... /2046.html

I did a lot of clicking, so I may have lost my way, but I think these rankings are based on the range in a country -- so that income in Angola, for example, is not being compared with that in Dubai directly.

Return to “Health & Security”