Realising the dream

15 open-plan lodges and apartments on a steep hillside (listing)
Anthony Mills

Realising the dream

Post by Anthony Mills »

We spent hours looking at websites on Tobago before choosing Castara Retreats. their website is very informative and gave us a really good picture of the accomodation and of the village. Our biggest supprise when we got there was that it was even better than we had expected. The village is idyllically situated between the rainforest and the two beaches; the local people are friendly and fun and Castara Retreats is by far the best place i have ever stayed.

Pelican is a studio apartment and the least expensive of the accomodation on offer but was still quality with everything in place from comfy chairs and beds to discreet lighting and a powerful shower. Yet the comfort and quality were secondary to the most stunning views imaginable. We simply sat and soaked up the sounds and images of the beach, the sea, the birds and the village. The gardens are extensive, with little paths and shady spots to sit and a pagoda for watching the sun set. We spent more time around the house and garden than on the beach. We met the other guests and even joined in a barbeque prepared by Duck, the neighbour who lives further up the hill. We didn't make it on one of his boat trips but intend to next time.

Someone had written in the visitor's book a thank you to the owner;s for "realising the dream". It's true. A sort of Robinson Crusoe simple life but with comforts and safety and friendly people thrown in. My friend and I were there for a week of bird watching but this summer I have booked to go back with my girlfriend for our two week summer hooliday and we absolutely can't wait.

Casatara is a great place to stay and if the retreat is beyond your budget we met people who said there are many other places to stay in the village and even right on the beach. The prices vary as does the standard but there seems to be something to suit everyone's pocket. There are guest houses, single apartments adjoining people's houses and new purpose built apartments rights next to the beach. All seem to have a good reputation, particularly for friendliness.
Anthony Mills

Return to “Castara Retreats”