House of Pancakes

Your questions and comment on restaurants and dining out
Marc Jones

House of Pancakes

Post by Marc Jones »

Food: nice enough.

Ambience: not unpleasant.

HOWEVER, we saw the place so busy it was insane. People waited 20 mins just for a menu!

Would I go back? Well, we didn't in case we had to wait but the food was nice enough to eat twice (IYSWIM!).

A victim of it's own success rather than poorly managed though. I'm not complaining just warning people to get there early.
Ilja Albrecht

Is Wayne still there?

Post by Ilja Albrecht »

Hi Marc,

we discovered the PAncake House in 98 and at the time it probably was new. Wayne was the nicest bloke I ever met, very friendly and relaxed...

Success I believe too changes things - is he still there and is it so crowded because they have a larger menu?

It is somehow difficult to believe people queing for 20 minutes, since it was only a small patio to sit on...

Greets

Ilja
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Ilja

Welcome aboard!

Yes, Wayne and Kathy still run House of Pancakes and also Panache. Kathy tries to do all the cooking herself to preserve standards and it is true that this sometimes means delays. I know that this can be frustrating for people who haven't slipped into Tobago time, but the result has always been more than worth the wait in my experience.

Yes, Wayne and Kathy truly are a lovely pair. For those of you who are not familiar with the couple, Wayne is a Rasta. He is very quiet (possibly shy). I don't know his background, but he comes across as very bright and a deep thinker - and looks the part. If you catch him, try to take the time to talk to him - he's a really interesting guy. Kathy is lovely too, but she'll work herself to death running Panache until late evening and then being up at the crack of dawn to run House of Pancakes. I hope these comments don't sound patronising, they're certainly not meant to be.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Ilja Albrecht

Not at all...

Post by Ilja Albrecht »

...when we sat on the patio with Wayne and talked to him, I felt so relaxed like never before. This man has such a positive aura, it is unbelievable. I am really not so esoteric but this man really makes you feel good.

About the Panache, is it inthe street that leads to Surfside Hotel? Thought I read something like this...

Greets
Ilja
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Ilja

Yes, that is exactly what I felt about Wayne.

You are correct about the location of Panache. Turn right out of the Surfside Hotel and it is less than 40m up the road, towards Pigeon Point, on the same side of the road. During the day they are now open as an Indian restaurant. I'm not sure whether this is under the management of Wayne and Kathy or somebody else.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Rachel Jones

Sorry, Just reading some old threads

Post by Rachel Jones »

I felt the same about Wayne too. I remember saying to my husband, that guy has got the most relaxing voice I have ever heard.

His presence was hypnotising.
Went to Both THOP and Panache and food was amazing.
S Smith

Post by S Smith »

i visited when there were only 2 other groups there, no server was out front, so my party seated ourselves and waited for a waitress, food was good, i found it a bit pricey though
Andy D
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!

Post by Andy D »

We got there nice and early and were the only people in there until we'd nearly finished our breakfast,fab place in my opinion,a little pricey but the food was great!

Return to “Restaurants, Food & Drink”