Accommodation and safety advice needed

Questions or comments should be posted in the property's own sub-forum, below. Use this sub-forum for general accommodation questions and comment. Please DO NOT post accommodation reports in the forum. Reports should be posted in the property's listing in the Accommodation section of the main site, where you will also be able to include a Satisfaction rating with your report.
Julia D

Accommodation and safety advice needed

Post by Julia D »

Hi,

Firstly, thanks so much to everyone for their advice posted on this website - definitely the most helpful discussion forum on Tobago that I have come across.

I'm travelling to Tobago for the first time in August with a friend (female as well). we're hoping to stay around Crown Point for the first 2 nights - I've read the reviews of other accommodation around this area, but can't find anything about the 4 places we have on our shortlist - Rainbow Resort; Coconut Inn; Bananaquit; and Harris' Guesthouse. Just wondering if anyone has stayed in any of these places? or could recommend one of them? We're looking for a small place preferably with a swimming pool within walking distance of a beach (up to 30mins walk).

I've been reading on the Foreign Office website that there has been an increase in violent crime against tourists in T&T, and the FCO recommend security guards are present at villas at all times in south west Tobago. I've also read a couple of horror stories on the Lonely Planet thorn-tree discussion forum about violent robberies. Should we be worried about this (i.e. stay in bigger resort-style hotels, as opposed to just taking the normal sensible precautions)?

Any advice greatly appreciated! Thanks
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Julia

Welcome aboard! :lol:

I'm not sure if the Coconut Inn is open. It was sold recently and is believed to be closed for badly-needed refurbishment.

Where did you hear/read about Harris' Guesthouse? We pride ourselves on listing EVERYBODY on the island, so I'm keen to get this listed if it still exists and is open for business.

Than leaves Rainbow Resort and Bananaquit. Although I am familiar with where they are, etc., I can't say I know anything about either. They're both centrally placed so ideal for the beaches and facilities in Crown Point. They're basic budget places that primarily appeal to the Trini summer-holiday market I think.

Refer to the Health & Security forum for discussions on safety on Tobago. Frankly, my advice would be to stick clear of any forum that allows unvalidated reports under anonimous names - they sadly attract the saddest elements of the Internet.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Julia D

Post by Julia D »

Thanks Steve,

That may well explain why I haven't been able to get in touch with Coconut Inn.

Harris' Guesthouse is in Canaan and is listed in the most recent Rough Guide - the website is http://www.harris-jungle-tours.com. There are only a few rooms I think, available on room-only or breakfast incl basis for US$50/60.

I'll check out the safety section here...

Return to “General Accommodation”