our food reviews..for what they are worth :-)

Your questions and comment on restaurants and dining out
Barbara1

our food reviews..for what they are worth :-)

Post by Barbara1 »

my husband and I just returned from Tobago and had a wonderful time..
we loved the island.
If we were disappointed in anything it might have ben the overalll quality of the food.
we found the food in most cases to be acceptable but not great and the choices on most menus were severely limited. and the portions were small everywhere.. good portions of side dishes but not large portions of the main dish.
we live in the Caribbean and we love local food and fresh fish.
It seemed the only fresh fish we could ever get anywhere was kingfish.
I guess it was kingfish season.
anyway, here is are some brief comments on some of the retaurants where we ate.

Crown Point Area:

Colours..... for lunch.. we had nice lunch. the flying fish was great but the place was very hot and uncomfortable.. we ran into some hot and humnid days.

Bonkers: nice setting, good service..the food was so-so....we were not impressed.

Cafe Coco..... ditto above...... beautiful setting. my BBQ chicken was dried out. we were not impressed with the food at all.

House of Pancakes.... a great breakfast.. nice people.. we loved it there.

Kariwak Village Restaurant.. great setting, good service, and we enjoyed our one meal there very much.

Pelican Reef... a pleasant surprise.. again, a nice setting, and a nice hangout. They had entertainment which was very nice and we really enjoyed the food.
We had a good meal there and would have gone back again except it was our last night.

Speyside area:

Restaurant at Blue Waters Inn..I forget the name....
horrible! beyond horrible! we were so unhappy. and no one in the hotel was eating there.. people were running out to the local villages instead or just eating snacks in the shipwreck bar.

Bird Watcher's Cafe:
a cute place with very good food..we had kingfish again... it was cooked very well and the staff were a lot of fun. we went back a couple of times.

Jemma's Tree House:
cute setting but we felt it was giant rip off. we were very disappointed. my husband ordered lobster this time.. they advertised a whole lobster but he only got half a tail.. when he asked about it, the waitress tired to tell him it was a whole lobster.. being fro the Caribbean he knows what a whole lobster is.... he felt it was a very clever way of ripping people off because most of them wouldn't notice the difference.
we did not press the point but the waitress stopped speaking to us anyway.

Charlotteville..........
Sharon and Pheb's...... king fish again but it was cooked local style and good.
nice restaurant.. a rather laid back serving style but we enjoyed it there.

I do think Tobago has a way to go yet as far as their cuisine, even their local cuisine.
as I said, the choices were limited and we found many restaurants had always run out of something on the menu.
Joe King

Post by Joe King »

Hi Barbara,

All your points are valid ones.

But does the relaxed attitude, even in the levels of service the local eateries, not just add to the charm of Tobago...?

I'd much rather sit in a chilled out Bonkers 8) with a limited menu, than in Macdonalds in Times square with a million things happening at once all around you!! :x

Just my humble opinion of course...

Joe :D
Andy D
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!

Post by Andy D »

Tatally agree with you Joe, it just adds to the whole experience in my opinion. :D

Return to “Restaurants, Food & Drink”