Short stay in Tobago to Dive

Questions or comments should be posted in the property's own sub-forum, below. Use this sub-forum for general accommodation questions and comment. Please DO NOT post accommodation reports in the forum. Reports should be posted in the property's listing in the Accommodation section of the main site, where you will also be able to include a Satisfaction rating with your report.
Caroline T

Short stay in Tobago to Dive

Post by Caroline T »

Hi there

First post on here so forgive me if I'm replicating dozens of other posts...

Currently stying in Trinidad and looking to spend 3 nights in Tobago next week. Planning to go diving over this time and poss snorkelling. Have previously stayed in Store Bay and Pigeon Point with Trini relatives so would like to venture further afield this time, but with easy access to diving.

Am single female traveller, live in London so pretty streetwise but don't want to head somewhere where I'm likely to be hassled too much and would like to get out of the Crown Point area to see some more of the riches Tobago has to offer - does anybody have any suggestions

Any help gratefully received!

thanks
Caroline
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Caroline

Welcome aboard! :lol:

The further you get from Crown Point the less you are likely to be hassled, so no worries there. However, if you want diving you only have two real choices - the Crown Point/Lower Caribbean area or up at Speyside (where the Speyside Inn or Blue Waters Inn are your only real choices).
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Kevin Hampson
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Post by Kevin Hampson »

Hi Caroline,
I did much the same thing a few years ago on the way home after a month or so working in Trini.

We stayed at the Coco Reef at Crown Point end and went diving with Undersea Tobago which is based at the hotel. They dive around the Crown Point area but will go up as far as the Sisters if there are enough people.

I have also been up to Speyside (every year for the past 3 years) and stopped at Bluewaters diving with Aquamarine, The diving is a bit more challenging but there are lots of dive sites right on the door step of the hotel and only about 15 minuets away by boat.

On of the main differences between the two centers is way the time the dives go out.

Undersea Tobago starts around 9am and stays out for 2 dives and gets you back around 1pm at the hotel. Aquamarine start around 10am but come back to the hotel for lunch so it’s around 1 to 1:30 pm before you go out again for a second dive.

The diving at both ends of the Island is very good (Much better than Babbacombe where I'll be this weekend anyway) if all you plan to do is dive and loaf around I'd go to Speyside if you want a bit more time to see a bit of the Island I'd stay at the Crown Point end.

Regards
Kevin
Caroline T

Post by Caroline T »

Thanks for your suggestions guys.

I thinkI'm going to stay down the Crown Point area in either the Toucan Inn or Spence's Place (not seen anything about this latter choice on the forum but suggestion from the relevatives). I'll probably go diving with R&Sea as they've had such good reviews on this site.

Looking forward to getting to Tobago now!
Caroline
Kevin Hampson
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Post by Kevin Hampson »

Hi Caroline,
I've just got back from Babbacombe 2m vis, 16 deg C, have you got any room left in your suitcase for a stowaway??

I've not dived with R&Sea but the reports seem fine I'm sure you'll have a great time.

Regards
Kevin

Return to “General Accommodation”