Castara Restaurants

Your questions and comment on restaurants and dining out
Jo B
myTobago Nut
myTobago Nut

Castara Restaurants

Post by Jo B »

Well, it's taken me three weeks, but this is the last of the reviews I've been meaning to post since our return.

During our two weeks in Castara, we ate at (I think) all the main eating establishments, with the exception of the Boathouse, which was closed for the duration (Sharon and Brenton - please try to be open for us next year!).

We had our first evening meal at Clay Kitchen, which was the nearest to our accommodation and was just opening up when we arrived. I understand that the owner was away at the time, but it was being run by a very pleasant woman and her daughter. The ambience was fine, there was a choice of two main dishes, chicken or seafood. We were served a bowl of corn soup to start. The food was nice, but nothing special. So far, so good, until the bill came - over 600TT or £60!! Foolishly we hadn't asked the price, but the seafood that we had chosen was 250TT a portion. The chicken would have been 100TT. We were quite shocked, but paid vowing not to return. The other couple there that evening were similarly surprised.

The only other bad experience we had was at Cafe Delight where we stopped for lunch (and only because Vera opposite had run out of roti). The menu was fairly unexciting, mainly sandwiches and fries. The staff weren't particularly welcoming and we waited for probably an hour for a very disappointing sandwich, tiny portion of fries and a lettuce leaf that couldn't quite be described as a salad. Such a shame, as it is a lovely spot, but perhaps better to stick to drinks rather than food.

We only ate at Cascreole one evening and L & H one lunchtime, but both served good local food at a very reasonable price. The treehouse at Cascreole is a great place to have a sunset Carib, or evening supper.

We had a couple of evening meals and one lunch at D'Almond Tree, more usually referred to as Vera's. Vera's lunchtime rotis are excellent, and very good value. Her evening meals were very good too - between us we sampled her shrimp, fish, chicken and goat curry, all worth trying. I did ask for ice-cream (see Paul T review), but as it was close season she only had neopolitan, but it certainly made a nice refreshing end to a spicy supper. Vera's juices are very nice, but she will allow you to bring your own beer if you prefer.

We ate at Marguerite's a couple of times too. Slightly more varied menu than Vera's but also very good. We sampled the lamb one night (saw it recommended here) and we weren't disappointed - my husband thought it was one of the best local meals he had during our visit. Her accompaniments are a bit different too - the mango salsa was lovely. The local wines are a bit sweet but make a change from soft drinks.

It should be noted (particularly if comparing to Clay Kitchen) that all of the main courses at these restaurants cost less than 100TT, and were as good if not better than the food we were served at CK.

A completely different eating experience is to be found if you eat with Adam at Sandcastles. Anyone who hangs out at Wallace's is bound to come across Adam. (If you are in Castara, you must go to Wallace's rum shop for an evening Carib.) His restaurant and bar are still at the planning stage, but he manages to cater for small parties on his patio at the house above the village. We ate there twice - first time we had the excellent local snapper, second time Adam sourced the most enormous lobsters for us. He even researched Rick Stein to find out how to cook an octopus brought in by the fishermen - it made the most delicious starter. Now, this isn't going to be as cheap as eating in the local restaurants, but the food is fresh and almost all is sourced in Castara, the accompaniments make a nice change from the usual creole fare - baked cheesy potatoes, greek-style salad, caramelised corn cob, etc. The portions are enormous (don't have lunch if you're going there for supper). And he keeps an excellent bottle of Chilean red in his cellar. Adam, Ria and baby Elizabeth make you feel at home, it's more like being entertained by friends. We made a point of having our last night meal there, as a special occasion. (You do have to book in advance, so that Adam can source the ingredients.)

Outside Castara we had a roti lunch at the cafe at Englishman's Bay which was cheap and good. We had lunch at Sharon and Pheeb's in Charlotteville - quite nice but a bit expensive for what we had, perhaps living on their reputation? We had a few lunches between dives at Blue Waters Inn, which were good and filling and just what we needed at the time.

Final mention must go to Big Mama's cake. We met Big Mama by accident when we gave her a lift down the hill from the lookout point above Bloody Bay to her house in the village. We bought a couple of pieces of her homemade cake and it really was excellent. The fruit cake is like the richest, darkest Christmas cake, but richer and darker! And the other varieties we tried were good too. You can find her either at the lookout point, or at her little stall by the road as you come down the hill, before Bloody Bay village and the turning to Parlatuvier.

I'm sure I'll remember something else after I've hit 'Submit', but this is probably long enough for now.

Jo x
Dr Stefan Rustscheff
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!

food, glorious food

Post by Dr Stefan Rustscheff »

It seems that the restaurateurs of the lovely village of Castara believe that the geese that fly in from all over the globe all lay golden eggs for break-o. :( This attitude is why I prefer to fish, and cook, for myself. If anyone of the good people of this website is in Castara during december 3-12, do pop in and we´ll see what I can do if the fishing has been good.
Ciguatera hopefully not present...
See You there :lol:
Jo B
myTobago Nut
myTobago Nut

Post by Jo B »

Stefan

Don't get me wrong, we thought the majority of the restaurants in Castara were great value - any criticism was very much the exception! However, locally caught fish on the barbecue at home is a great option too.

:)

Jo x
Brian Taylor
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by Brian Taylor »

first: please don't judge castara restaurants by the black sheep!!!

next: did you check the foodprices on the island? the are not exactly cheap. and workers want more money than you think these days....

then: no reason to OVERPRICE!

finally: the boathouse restaurant seems to be back open any day now. another good value for the moeny restaurant.

and yet another one: even if you are not a fisherman, check the fish from the fihermens co-op. who says you have to dine out every day, if you have a propper kitchen in your place....

ENJOY ALL THE FOOD! yummy
Stephanie & Brian "Alibaba" Taylor
Alibaba-Tours - http://www.Alibaba-Tours.com
Jan

Post by Jan »

Sad that this most beautiful restaurant (Boathouse) is very caribean
(unreliable?) with its opening hours, because the food is always exellent!
Though it is open most days of the week now.
The service is typical tobagonian too. We had some good laughs about the laid back atlitude. The service might be slow sometimes but friendly at all times.
L.A. Mcdonald
Tobago Guru
Tobago Guru

boathouse restaurant

Post by L.A. Mcdonald »

Having just returned from Castara, I can't help but reminisce about the Boathouse, Brenton, Joey and all the fantastic staff who helped make our holiday so fun. We enjoyed several meals, many Caribs and lots of laughs and limes in the company of the fine people of little bay. Remember you are in Paradise while visiting and give the kitchen some time to prepare your food. It is well worth the wait.

Lori
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Jan

You are so right. I have always been frustrated by the fact that until this year, the Boat House was closed nearly every time we decided to call and eat there. They were a lot better this year. However, I split my sides when we called there one lunchtime and there was a sign hanging from the bar saying "Closed. Not in the mood". That is just SO Boat House and SO Tobago.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Post by Paul Tallet »

I am really pleased to hear this about the Boathouse.

It has a fabulous setting, a great atmosphere and they mixed the best Rum Punch you could buy in Castara ... but unfortunately we found the food to be poor, albeit ambitious ... maybe they were trying too much for too many diners at a time?

But judging by the reports I see here I will definitely give it a try again when I next return.

Regards
Paul Tallet
Public Relations Consultant for Mother Nature
David Watkins
Bude Cool Boy
Bude Cool Boy

Post by David Watkins »

Paul,yes you must!It has changed a great deal over the last couple of years.If you look at R Shah's photos the Boathouse has anice new decking over the beach and is painted that sort of red colour.
Are you likely to be out this winter Paul?
David
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Post by Paul Tallet »

David

I remember talking to Brian about his aspirations last year and it is good to hear that everything is coming together.

I have too many business commitments to get to Tobago (or anywhere) this year ... what with the added complications of children maturing into adults and everyone having their own agenda in my family.

It could be next year I hope ... too early to say ... it is on the top of my list of priorities but difficult when you have to book for a family of up to 5 (mostly adult) so far in advance.

Regards
Paul Tallet
Public Relations Consultant for Mother Nature
P Strange

Post by P Strange »

I MAY BE NEW TO THIS FORUM BUT MANY A RUM FULLED EVENING HAVE I HAD WITH MY OLD BUDDY BRENTON AT MY OLD PLACE IN LONDON & NOW IN THE FROSTY NORTH (MYTH) WE HAVE CHEWED DE FAT ABOUT HOW HE WANTS TO RUN THE BOATHOUSE CONCLUSION...THINGS TAKE TIME & NOW SHAZZER IS BACK EVERYDAY THINGS WILL BETTER & BETTER BY THE WAY I THINK ITS GREAT ANYWAY NOTHING LIKE LOBSTER THAT YOU HAVE PULLED IN YOURSELF WITH GOOD OLD "MR BOATHOUSE"
Rebecca Thorpe

Wallaces rum shop

Post by Rebecca Thorpe »

Thanks for the information!Do you happen to have contact details
for Wallaces place as it sounds like a wonderful night out.
Thanks again,
Rebecca
David Watkins
Bude Cool Boy
Bude Cool Boy

Post by David Watkins »

Rebecca there are two "rum shops"in Castara,Coddrie's(Wallaces at the top of the hill),and Miss Merlines next to Marguerites restaurant.
If you stay in Castara you will find everything is close to hand---it is a small working fishing village,and so beautiful and welcoming.Off hand I think there are six eating places,so no problems.
David(nearly counting the hours) :D

Return to “Restaurants, Food & Drink”