Advise on Tobago needed!

Questions or comments should be posted in the property's own sub-forum, below. Use this sub-forum for general accommodation questions and comment. Please DO NOT post accommodation reports in the forum. Reports should be posted in the property's listing in the Accommodation section of the main site, where you will also be able to include a Satisfaction rating with your report.
Tobi

Advise on Tobago needed!

Post by Tobi »

I am thinking about visiting Tobago with my girlfriend in July or early August this year, for 7 to 10 days. I haven't been to Tobago before; actually, I haven't even been anywhere near, so any help you have to offer will be greatly appreciated!

What we're looking for is either a small hotel or guesthouse. It should be in an area that is not overrun by tourists, yet not completely remote either, i.e. there should be some shops and restaurants around. Having access to transportation like the busses, a car or bike rental would be great too. Though it doesn't have to be right on the beach, having a beach nearby is important to us. Preferable not more than a 5 to 10 minute walk, maybe. We both enjoy swimming and snorkeling, so from what I've heard we'd probably be better off staying on the Caribbean side of the island.

The room itself should be decently clean. We don't need anything fancy, but we don't need roaches either. We're under some budget constraints, so we're looking for a place in the $50-$80 range per night for both of us together.

What areas should we look into? What hotels would you recommend?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Louise I
myTobago Nut
myTobago Nut

Post by Louise I »

Hi Tobi, I'm sure if you and your girlfriend will love Tobago. My favourite place on the island is Charlotteville. It's on the caribbean coast and not overrun by tourists - there are no hotels just guesthouses and rooms or cottages to rent. The locals are very friendly and there are enough bars and restaurants that you do not need to eat in.

I would recommend the Cholson Chalets on your budget - it is two houses converted into apartments right on the sea front. (literally!) There is a beach in the village but the absolutely fabulous pirates Bay is about a 5 - 10 minute walk away. There is snorkelling off both beaches.

The apartments are basic but clean and you get your linen and towels changed. There is a courtyard in the middle where you can sit and watch the fishermen.

You have to phone the owner Pat Nicholson to book - Tel/Fax: (868) 639 8553. Have a look on this page and you will see a picture [broken link removed. Editor].

The other place we have stayed in charlotteville is Man O'War bay cottages - they were fabulous, right on the beach with lovely grounds.

We stayed there in March and really enjoyed it.
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Tobi

Don’t worry - you will not find Tobago overrun with tourists. The island receives 40,000 visitors a year – an average of around 110 new arrivals per day. The peak season is between January and March, so you are going well out of season. I mention this to get things in perspective. Store Bay, Pigeon Point and those beaches connected with large hotels are obviously the busiest, but you can never describe anywhere as ‘crowded’.

The Crown Point area is the most popular, but least attractive. There is a great choice of affordable accommodation in Crown Point and beaches like Store Bay and Pigeon Point are within walking distance of most. Shopping is not something that will take long on Tobago. There are a few scattered ‘boutiques’ and gift shops but none of these will occupy your interest for more than a few minutes and there are no real shopping centres or anything in any of the locations that you are likely to want to stay.

Forget about buses. They are cheap but infrequent and do not run to a timetable. You will spend most of your holiday standing beside the road waiting for one. See our Taxis & Public Transport pages (menus: Tobago/Getting Around/) for more advice on this subject. To enjoy Tobago the most, you MUST hire a car or jeep. This will open up your choice of accommodation enormously.

Louise’s suggestion of Charlotteville is a good one. To be frank and given your requirements, without transport you are rather restricted to a choice between Crown Point or Charlotteville. Like Louise, my preference would be Charlotteville. I think her suggestion of the Cholson Chalets is good, but I have also heard very good reports about Top River Pearl (see Accommodation menu).
Last edited by Steve Wooler on Mon May 29, 2006 10:39 am, edited 3 times in total.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Melissa J.

Post by Melissa J. »

My mom is from Charlottesville and everytime she goes back she calls it isolated. Is that a fair assessment?

Melissa
tobagoroj

Post by tobagoroj »

you should book your room now because between the months of july and august alot of trinis like to come over and vacation with their familyfor olidas with their kids and usually it tough to find a place to say.
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Melissa

'Isolated' is such a relative term. I see you come from New York, so in comparison, Charlotteville would seem like the back of beyond. Yes, it is isolated - but nowhere near as much as most of the small villages and hamlets around Tobago. It depends entirely upon what you're looking for.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Andreas

Post by Andreas »

Hi Tobi!

I think "Hummingbird Heights" is exactly what you are looking for:

Tobi wrote:What we're looking for is either a small hotel or guesthouse. It should be in an area that is not overrun by tourists, yet not completely remote either, i.e. there should be some shops and restaurants around
HH is a small guesthouse with an apartment for up to six people and a b & b double room. It is conveniently located near Scarborough, Tobago's capital - just a 10-15 minute walk away from the harbour. There are very few tourists there and it is a fantastic place to see the locals' everyday life.

Tobi wrote:Having access to transportation like the busses, a car or bike rental would be great too.
If you want to see different parts of the island by bus staying near Scarborough will be a must! Otherwise you can rent a car from Neil and Shirley, the owners of this guesthouse.

Tobi wrote:Though it doesn't have to be right on the beach, having a beach nearby is important to us.
It is no problem - within a few minutes you can get - by car - to one of the numerous beaches both on the Carribean and the Atlantic side.
And there is a spacious pool in the garden.

Tobi wrote:so we're looking for a place in the $50-$80 range per night for both of us together.
Per week: 100 pounds per guest (b & b room).

You can find lots of information here: [broken link removed. Editor]

Have a great time
Andreas

Return to “General Accommodation”