Buying wine

Your questions and comment on restaurants and dining out
Rhian Davies

Buying wine

Post by Rhian Davies »

I am off to Tobago on a group holiday in February and we will be staying in self catering accommodation. Many of our group are wine drinkers so I was wondering if anyone can suggest where we might be able to buy decent wine without bankrupting ourselves? This always seems to be quite a challenge in the Carribean!

Thanks

Rhian
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Rhian

I was recently notified that one of the best known liquor stores in Tobago had closed – Island Distributors Ltd. Trouble is, I’m not sure where their store(s) were. I hope it wasn’t the little wine store in the small mall almost opposite the main Penny Savers supermarket in Canaan because this might be your best bet, depending upon where you are staying.

Canaan is on the main Claude Noel Highway, between Crown Point and Scarborough, or the Shirvan Road turn-off for the northern Caribbean coast road.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Tanja Mohammed

Post by Tanja Mohammed »

Hi there

there is an excellent wine store with the largest selection on the island. Fernandes Fine Wines, located in Canaan in South West City Mall (almost opposite Penny Savers Supermarket). They have excellent wines from all over the world and they are properly stored. The manager is an English lady named Lesly. The phone contact is 631-1961 or fax/phone 631-0631.

Regards
Tanja - Yes Tourism
Nancy Lyter

Post by Nancy Lyter »

We will be in Tobago in April, also staying in a self-catering establishment up in Speyside. We will be taxiing from the airport, so I was hoping to ask the taxi driver to stop at a grocery and wait for us while we go in and pick up a few things. Is this something most taxi drivers will do? Of course, an appropriate tip would be given.
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Nancy

Yes, that is something that most taxi drivers would not turn a hair at.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Manfred

Post by Manfred »

I can echo the recommendation for Fernandes. They are very friendly with a great selection of fine wines, especially some great French and Italians. The wine is well kept - never had a "cooked" one - and the occasional corked bottle is replaced with good grace. Prices too are competitive being similar to or less than the UK with the occasional genuine bargain.
Gabriele
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

italian wines

Post by Gabriele »

my I suggest to visit http://www.latartarugatobago.com select take away/wines. wine store on same premise of the restaurant, deliveries available. ciao gabriele
David Watkins
Bude Cool Boy
Bude Cool Boy

Post by David Watkins »

Also at Fernandes you can get a reasonable(Calif)red,white or blush(!) in the box for about TT$110 for 3 litres,at K-Mart similar and at Penny Savers a very quaffable Calif "burgundy" for TT$150 for 5 litres.
Enjoy David :D 8)
Gill M

Post by Gill M »

David Watkins wrote:Also at Fernandes you can get a reasonable(Calif)red,white or blush(!) in the box for about TT$110 for 3 litres,at K-Mart similar and at Penny Savers a very quaffable Calif "burgundy" for TT$150 for 5 litres.
Enjoy David :D 8)
Moreshead Supermarket (Gourmet Foods) also do a passable Californian "Pinot Grigio" - 3 litre box around TT$118.
%*}

Return to “Restaurants, Food & Drink”