spices etc

Your questions and comment on restaurants and dining out
Maja M

spices etc

Post by Maja M »

Hey everyone.

So I've been browsing the site like crazy and I haven't been able to find specifics about spices etc. on Tobago. Do excuse me if I've missed this but hey, I'm new here :wink:

I'm planning on cooking on the island and I'm especially looking towards the fish. I know so far that the Tobago kitchen is influenced by cuisines
spreading from east to west, north to south. Therefor, there must be an excellent choice of spices on the island. I was wondering more specifically what they are(i was thinking about bringing cumin and red paprika powder if there isn't any on the island) and also, is there fresh ginger and garlic on the island? If so, can all these spices be found in Castara?

Another question... What are the basic groceries that can be found in Castara(this might sound stupid but ...yeah... :P) ? Milk, eggs, flour, cooking oil, toilet paper etc?

Thanks in advance 8)
Tariq Asmi

Cooking in Castara and Spices

Post by Tariq Asmi »

This my first post. I'm a daily reader (and a donator) have but have never posted but with the combination of Castara, cooking and spices I got excited and thought I'd see if I could participate.
My wife and I have been to Castara five times in the last four years and will be going back for two weeks in March 2007.
We stay a Blue Mango (we LOVE IT - may not be for some but it's perfect for us) and stay at either Sea Steps or Cliff Hanger - both have full kitchens. (We'll be staying at both in March).
I love to cook and do so almost ever day while there. Nothing like sipping a G&T, watching the sun set and bouncing in and out of our kitchen to cook.
In Castara there are a limited amount of spices but you will find fresh garlic and ginger (dont recall any cumin or red praprika). We buy some basic spices from the Penny Saver but I bring most spices from home (in little plastic bags). Shadowbenny (sp?) and pimento peppers and other vegies we get in vegetable stands on the way from the airport as you can't always get them in Castara although when hiking with King David I keep my eye open for it growing and often pick some. We buy most of our groceries at the Penny Saver on our way from airport to Castara.

Hope this is helpful and will keep track of this dialogue as there are likely others with tips.

-Tariq.
David Watkins
Bude Cool Boy
Bude Cool Boy

Post by David Watkins »

Maja,chill out.most of what you asked for is grown here.It is so cheap also.....Remember Tobago is not a third world country.The cuisine here,in my opinion,is the origin of "fusion".All sorts of spices and herbs are available here,some of which you may have never heared of but it is great teatting them.
In Tobago generally the milk is treated(ie longlife etc),eggs,flour,most things you get from your local shops are available----even ladies things :oops: .
Plus of course things like papaya,Julie mango,bread fruit,breadnut,green fig and all the root vegetables you can think of!!!!And bee hive bread!
This time in three weeks I shall be driving along the highway looking for the north road turning to CASTARA \:D/
Regards David
Maja M

Post by Maja M »

Yo thanks for the replies.

David I will chill but hey, I'm a food-maniac and I need to know what the island has to offer. :wink:

Tariq, since you like cooking so much, do you have any tips on fish that don't taste too "fishy" if you know what I mean. Also one with little or easily removable fish bones?

Cheers! :D
Lisa Keith
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by Lisa Keith »

Hi Maja,

Yes, you can get all the basic spices (cumin included!) and some more bizarre sounding, but beautiful tasting ones too!

Like you, I prefer my fish not too 'fishy' (!!). I tend to buy fresh tuna, albacore, kingfish or mahi-mahi. The bones in it are far easier to find, and there aren't many of them. They're meatier fish, more of the consistency of pork or shark than fish. Also, normally for a few extra dollars, one of the fishermen will fillet it for you, if you ask them!

You'll have a blast, I'm sure!

Lisa.
Kevin Hampson
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Post by Kevin Hampson »

They don't need spice in Tobago they have pepper sauce that will blow you socks off!! :lol:

Kevin
Lisa Keith
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by Lisa Keith »

Yuhuh! The pepper sauce is a WMD! Weapon of Mouth Decimation!!
L.A. Mcdonald
Tobago Guru
Tobago Guru

Post by L.A. Mcdonald »

Maya,

I have spent a few weeks in Castara on a couple of occasions. I myself like to support the local merchants and have had a great time exchanging this for that in my recipes. Made locally is a wonderful green sauce that contains thyme. It is wonderful and tastes very fresh. My girlfriends and I ended up putting it on everything from eggs to fish to rice. The hot sauces are excellent too.

May I make a suggestion? Stock up before you leave and take as much home with you as possible. It will remind you of your wonderful time that I can assure you will have.

Have fun,
:) Lori
Tariq Asmi

Cooking in Castara

Post by Tariq Asmi »

Maja,
While I don`t spend all my time cooking (why would you when on vacation in paradise)... but love to prepare a meal that we all enjoy (my wife, friends who come with us, and friends in Castara) after a lovely Castara sunset.

One time I recall having to stroll (with a "man's beer" in hand which makes strolling in Castara even better) going from store to store looking for, as I recall, cumin. Ralph who has a fruit and vegie stand in Castara (who I recommend checking out) has many a good thing but he like others on this day, no cumin.

Why I bring my own stuff? Well, should I buy all the spices I need in Tobago at the Penny Saver or elsewhere, I'd be coming back with bags of stuff that I already have here in Toronto. I love the hot sauces, but for me it's not always about drowing my food in a hot sauce - it`s an accent. While two weeks are absolutely lovely in Castara especially with the fresh fish, local vegies, and options of tasty T&T cuisine, every few days I need a basic tomato sauce pasta (and again, do you want to be bringing back home bags of herbs?). As well, a few times during our stay I cook local fish in my "mama's curry spice mix" that friends in Castara absolutely love (as do we) - hence more spices to bring. Bringing a few spices I know from experience I will use is about being practical. When I want a certain spice, I want that spice. So being a good boy scout, I come prepared. Takes a few minutes at home but can save time (and perhaps frustration later). But I also want to be clear that I take every opportunity to use Tobago flavours and foods to cook with. And I experiment. I'm also fortunate that Colin at Blue Mango bought me a BBQ so I can grill on my deck and there`s a built in outdoor grill at Sea Steps.
As to fishy fish, know what you mean but never really had that experience (except if fish is not fresh, which is not the case in Castara). Only once had a snapper (and this just brought in from a fisherman Parlatuvier) and yeah, a bit fishy. We love the King Fish, all tuna and the dolphin fish. Barracuda`s a bit to tough for us. And the fisherman at the Co-op in Castara always prepare the fish they way I ask them.

PS...great breads from the kind ladies baking on Wed and I think Sunday in communal clay oven in Castara.

-Tariq.
Maja M

Post by Maja M »

Thank you Lisa, L.A and Tariq for all your great tips! They'll all come in handy I'm sure. I must say I'm somewhat a spoilt westener who's never gutted a fish or prepared a fresh chicken so the choice of having a fish filéed for an extra penny is all the better for me. :P

I plan on using a spice mix I brought home from this years vacation in Morocco. You mix cumin, red paprika powder, fresh garlic, ground ginger, pepper, salt and vegetable oil with either fish or chicken. Just marinate for an hour or so and then throw it in the oven. Mmmmm....

Hopefully I'll bring home a new set of spices but I just can't live without that Moroccan blend. Just like you said Tariq, when you want a spice, you just want it. :wink: I am looking forward to the local cooking too, the mix of international cuisines sounds intriguing, can't wait to taste it!

Not only am I a sucker for spices I also love fruit and since we northeners seldom get a taste of fresh fruit(our fruit ripen in trucks!!!!) I long for it.

Regards
Maja 8)
Kevin Hampson
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Post by Kevin Hampson »

Maja,

When you get to Charlotville, try the Creole Shrimp at Sharon & Pheeb's and don't forget to ask for the pepper sauce. Sharon makes her own it's the best on the island.

Kevin
Gisela Grell
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Post by Gisela Grell »

Hi all,

as Tariq said, it makes no sense to buy all the basic spices on Tobago. Normally I bring (spicy) Pepper, Curry (cucumba?), and red paprica with me and a special tomato salt I can't live without. All other spices you will get on the island.
I'm lucky because there is always a local friend who will prepare the fish for me and belive me - the can do this much better than me. I only have to buy the ingredients and lay back :-)

Hey David, only three weeks? Lucky Mr. Bude!

Enjoy cooking and eating and having fun in Castara!

Cheers
Cheers
Gisela
a.k.a. Shorty
see some pics on http://www.gisela-grell.de
Carol G
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!

Spices and open and closed restaurants

Post by Carol G »

Hope I'm not sending this again, as my connection failed here in Tobago.
Amadeus appears to be open will check after Carnival. Our fav Salsa Kitchen is closed, anyone know if they have reopened somewhere else? Cooking spices, cumin is called "gera" here and is available just about everywhere. Other spices can be iffy..the Pennysaver had oregano, but none for the last two weeks. Ditto tabasco, pinto beans and chicken breasts. If you have favorite spices you want to try out with local ingred (ie fish tacos, Italian, curry, cajurn, etc) bring along. The zip lock snack bags work. Seame seeds, poppy seeds, bay leaves, dried chilies, dry mustard are not available. Shadow beny works for a sub for coriander, but you may want to use less. it's stronger. Local basil, thyme, sometimes mint are great. If you like goat cheese, do try out the Orange Hill Goat Cheese, two types,,,we all are cheering her on to stay in business!
Enjoy Tobago
Almost forgot.. the Historical Cafe hasn't been open for an age..but try out the bar (nearby) with a great view to Fort Gamby..it's up on stilts..not sure if it has a name. Across from the hotel "White Towers or someting like that".
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hello Carol

Thanks for the report, but can I please just clarify a couple of points.

Amadeus is open for lunch only - as far as I know.

Salsa Kitchen have not closed or moved. However, they are closed Mondays and only open for advanced bookings - so it's important to ring and book rather than just turning up and hoping there might be a table.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Carol G
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!

Post by Carol G »

Hi Bill,
Thanks for the update on restaurants. We were confused about Amadeus as it was on the website restaturant "closed" list. A local friend had mentioned a while back and we kept meaning to go and thought we had missed our chance. So were pleasantly surprised to see their sign out one afternoon a week or so ago.
Carol G
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!

Post by Carol G »

Steve,
I do apologize for the wrong name.. got a phone call in the middle of starting my reply and got off track. Sorry!

Return to “Restaurants, Food & Drink”