Restaurant reviews from our trip

Your questions and comment on restaurants and dining out
Mandy H
Tobago Guru
Tobago Guru

Restaurant reviews from our trip

Post by Mandy H »

Steve has stolen my thunder a bit on the restaurant review front, but as I have different views and a few recommendations, I'll continue...and I'm sure Steve would welcome other opinions - even if they do contradict some of his views!! :D

Week 1 - staying in Buccoo
CAFE IGUANA - we went here on our 1st night, so were tired, but the food still did enough to impress. They served delicious toast covered in garlic oil before our starters, and it really did waken our tired tastebuds! We enjoyed our meal despite our 1st night tiredness!
BAMBOO MILE - we loved this last year, and once again it provided a nice change from the usual local food. The goats cheese salad was to die for! The only thing that put us off returning was...when my partner gave over the TT dollars for the meal, I went to the toilet. When I was away from the table, they said they needed another $10TT, so he assumed he had made a mistake, and not put enough down in the 1st place, and handed over the $10. I returned from the toilet, and he went to the gents. The same lady then approached me and said my partner had not left enough money, and that we were $10TT short. Not realising that my partner had already given the money, I apologised and gave over the $10TT. We didn't realise this until I mentioned it when we were in the car driving home. It could easily have been a mistake, and we give them the benefit of the doubt, but we did find it a little strange.
CARIBBEAN CHULA (Indian restaurant above Melange)
We loved this place last year, and think it has improved since then. It seemed to be busier, and the food was to die for. Both the shrimp vindaloo, and the chicken curries were delicious. The decor is eclectic, and the staff are great fun. So good we went twice in our first week!
HOUSE OF PANCAKES
How better to spend your 1st morning on the island other than stuffing your face at the House of Pancakes!? Delicious as always.
MOT MOT
A new addition since we were last on the island, and one of our best meals this year. It was busy on the night we were there, and the service was impeccable. The lobster was great, as was the creole chicken. Try the Mot Mot cocktail - mmm! Highly recommended.
LA TARTARUGA
Our personal favourite on the island, and the standard of food was superb as always. We have been to Italy, and the food in La Tartaruga is as good, if not better!! The owner is crazy as always, and it's great to see someone soo passionate about their cooking. I can still taste the delicious flavours of the ravioli in sage butter now!!
Week 2 - two nights in Charlotteville
GAILS
The food at Gails was great, and it's a superb place to people watch! Simple, but delicious.
SHARON & PHEBE'S
This was also a great meal. A little more expensive than Gail's, but as nothing is expensive in Charlotteville, we're talking penny's!
Week 2 - five nights in Castara
MARGUERITE'S
We spent our 1st night in Castara here, and it made a good impression. Take your beers from the bar next door, and enjoy the delicious food. Good service, yummy food, and a good atmosphere.
CASCREOLE
Contrary to some reports, we had a lovely meal here. The location is great - a lovely sea view - and the BBQ'd meat was delicious. A little more expensive than the other restaurants, but food was lovely.
BOATHOUSE
We ate here twice. The 1st night, it was delicious - rice with meat or fish made a nice change to the normal Castara menus! The rum punch was also great. The 2nd night was a Wednesday when they have a party! It's $150TT per person, and you get lovely food, and free rum punch (try the coconut rum punch, which is great!) while the steel pan is played. After dinner, the locals play the drums - interesting to see the men who thought/wished they were tribal chiefs!! A good night had by all.
D'ALMOND TREE/VERA'S
We ate here at both lunch and dinner. The lunchtime roti's are fantastic, and the evening food was also excellent. Lovely friendly staff.

SUMMARY - we loved all our meals on holiday, and did not feel it was at all expensive in comparison to UK prices AND standards. In fact it felt like value for money. We only drank wine at La Tartaruga (wine relatively expensive but worth it!) so that may have kept our costs down in comparison to some other travellers that have posted comments on prices. For those who have not been to Tobago before, don't be put off by some of the negative comments - we had fabulous meals throughout our trip, and are still reminiscing about some of our great evenings in Tobago.
Mandy H
Tobago Guru
Tobago Guru

How could I forget?!?!

Post by Mandy H »

We also ate lunch at the Blue Waters Inn Speyside. It was good value considering it is a hotel, and the food was delicious. The setting of the beach bar is also great - looking right across to Goat Island, and Little Tobago. A great way to stop the hunger after a lengthy snorkelling trip! :D

Return to “Restaurants, Food & Drink”