I hate Curry etc

Your questions and comment on restaurants and dining out
Martin S

I hate Curry etc

Post by Martin S »

7 weeks one day to go , now maybe I should have thought of this before I decided to come to Tobago but I am not a fan of curry or any type of spicey food (being from Yorkshire I will miss my sunday dinner and yorkshire pudding)will I survive for two weeks or will I be returning home as thin as a rake :?
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Martin

When you said you were from Yorkshire, I assumed you meant the West Riding. Doncaster? You're virtually a southerner. :cry:

Do you want the good news or the bad news?

The good news (from your point of view) is that its virtually impossible to get a decent curry on Tobago (and DON'T say there's no such thing). In fact even bad ones are in fairly short supply. Curry - as we know it - is not something you find in the restaurants over there. I see that you are staying at the Beach House in Castara. I have to tell you that the owner, Carol, had us to dinner one night and had made the best curry I've ever tasted on Tobago - I bet she could convert you.

The bad news (from your point of view) is that everything tends to be fairly spicy - at least you would probably say so if you don't like spicy food. Best tip is to avoid "local" restaurants - especially those serving Creole food, and stick to those serving international fair. That gives you a bit of a problem, I'm afraid - all the restaurants in Castara are basically 'local'. The only exception is Adam Hanlon up at Sandcastles, but you'll be paying a lot more there. At least Adam will cook to order and make sure its not spicy if you don't want it (and tell him beforehand).

Other than that, why not take some of those excellent packets of ready-made Yorkshire Pudding mix that Marks & Spencer do? I would never have believed it possible for a 'proper' Yorkshireman like me to admit that you could get a decent Yorkshire out of a packet, but we've tried them twice lately and been quite amazed. I'm even trying to pluck up the courage to mention them to my Mum.

Keep smiling. :lol:
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Brian Taylor
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by Brian Taylor »

good luck with that one steve... maybe she'll surprise you and tell you that she is using them since quite a while to make it easier... noticed my mom does things like that more and more often... :wink:

staying next door to the boathouse, you can always check with sharon in advance and ask her to keep some things more plain for you. she does it for allergic guests and kids, but let her know before you come so she can be prepared... guess she would not make a yorkshire pudding for you though... maybe you have to come back for her famous christmas dinner...breadsauce, stuffing balls, roast potatoes... very british (and for a non british tongue, surprisingly yummy... no offence :wink: )

another chance is to use your kitchenette to slab some fish in the pan. the fishermen sell it fresh every day and ralph (aka DJ) provides the veggie for it... don't worry, you won't starve!

enjoy

steph
Dawn C

I hate curry etc

Post by Dawn C »

Hi Martin, we've just returned on Friday from 2 weeks in Tobago, the first 8 nights at the Beach House. If you stop at the supermarket on the way from the airport you can stock up on the bulk of your groceries but after that we found everything we needed in Castara. Just be aware that you have to buy what's available but the kitchen is so well equipped that we only ate out one evening and two lunchtimes.

It was so warm that we weren't eating huge meals anyway, so don't let concerns about food stop you having a great time. Castara has everything for a relaxing, friendly holiday.

Dawn
Tony Gibson

spicey meals

Post by Tony Gibson »

Brian, since we got back last week, I have had none stop Tuna, that's Linda trying to recreate your fantastic barbecue you created on your boat trip.
She has failed so far, so its back to baked beans.
Its that or I need to teach her how to cook
Brian Taylor
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by Brian Taylor »

I guess you knew that before you married her :wink:

you can try as much as you want, you can't copy the BBQ, you just have to come back for each and every anniversary to get a decent meal... no offense, linda. your new husband is a bit cheeky I feel. he did not look exactly starving when you were here... :lol:

tony, don't complain. you try to do it better... I feel ali has to give some cooking lessons for tourists soon. another branch of the business... :wink:

ali says hello, he's on the road as usual. sharon says hello, too. going down there to grab some of her great pelau today.

sunny greetings
steph

Return to “Restaurants, Food & Drink”