Personal Recommendations

Your questions and comment on restaurants and dining out
Nisha Williams

Personal Recommendations

Post by Nisha Williams »

Ok, have enquired with Sheppy's about renting a car and seem to have sorted that, can anyone (especially frequent vistors to Tobago) recommend some restaurants to try (now we can get to them :) ).

Lee and I both like all foods especially Chinese and Curry.

Also, can anyone recommend a good roti stall/shop.

Many thanks,

Nisha :D
Clyde Alleyne
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!

Post by Clyde Alleyne »

Nisha, unfortunately, I have not been able to find a really good Chinese restaurant in Tobago. In fact, someone once said that the best place to find a good Chinese restaurant in Trinidad & Tobago is ... in Trinidad. :( Fortune Chinese Restaurant seems to attract diners (but whether they attract REPEAT diners is unknown). Its located in the Fortune Plaza which is on the Milford Road just after Carnbee in the Bon Accord area. You can't miss it. Just drive towards Crown Point on Milford road. Close by is also a roti shop which is on a corner off Milford Road, which has pretty good rotis.
Clyde
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Clyde

That was one of my quotes and still holds true I believe.

At the time that I first quoted that, the Red Crab hadn't opened next to the Tropikist Hotel. The Red Crab was owned and run by a Vietnamese guy, I believe, and was really first class. However, I believe his lease expired and it is alleged that the Tropikist decided to cash in on the excellent reputation he had built and open the Flaming Dragon under their own management. I don't know if there is any truth in this. However, the Flaming Dragon was as bad as the Red Crab was good. It came as no surprise to find that The Flaming Dragon didn't last and has now been replaced by the Sugar Point Restaurant - of which I have heard not a single report.

Does anybody know what happened to the Vietnamese guy who owned the Red Crab? Is he still on Tobago? It would be fascinating to hear if anyone knows.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Nisha Williams

Post by Nisha Williams »

Clyde - I tried Chinese in Trinidad at a few places but wasn't very impressed. Am addicted to roti though so will definitely try roti shop out.

Will I be able to get shark/prawns and bake on the beaches in Tobago?

I am making myself really hungry now :!:
Clyde Alleyne
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!

Post by Clyde Alleyne »

Nisha, I have never seen Bake & Shark is not sold at Tobago beaches like is done at Maracas in Trinidad. At Pigeon Point, I believe that you can buy fried fish & chips but not Bake & Shark but don;t recall Bake & Shark being available. Bake & Shark does not appear to be as common in Tobago as it is in Trinidad. Tobago's speciality is Curried Crab & Dumpling, which is sold by at the food stalls at Store Bay. For the BEST Bake & Shark you have to hop over to Richard's at Maracas!
Clyde
Gabriele
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

coconut bake and fish

Post by Gabriele »

ciao nisha. in buccoo, on sunday school night, there is a tiny wood boot, next to the sea, here a very well travelled and entertaining Benson prepares homemade coconut bake filled with fish (shark when available). Coconut bake is not deep fried in oil like the one made in Maracas Bay (Trinidad). Great flavours and great .... charming! Gabriele
Hugh S
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Post by Hugh S »

Best roti in Scarborough is on Dutch Fort Road, can't remember the name, they have a pool table too. You can't miss it. One other very good restaurant on the same street, serves local on Fridays. Very popular, get in line. Sorry, too early to remember names. Easy to find, these ar the only two.

Yum yum!

Hugh
Brian Taylor
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by Brian Taylor »

gabriele is right... the booth at sunday school is by far the best... alis mouth waters when I only mention it.... yummy!!!!

and the best roti is in a little shack at scarbourough secondary school, close to shaw parc. but go early, sometimes she is sold out by elen...so famous and sooooo goood!

steph
Nisha Williams

Post by Nisha Williams »

Thanks everyone for your comments. Am craving some roti now My prawn mayo sandwich didn't really hit the spot at lunchtime :!:

Not long left to go now :lol:

Return to “Restaurants, Food & Drink”