💊 Prescription meds?

Your questions on medical and security issues
JulieE
myTobago Groupie
myTobago Groupie

💊 Prescription meds?

Post by JulieE »

Hello, could anybody tell me please if I need documented permission to take my prescribed meds into Tobago (antidepressants) or will an official list of my prescriptions be sufficient? I tried contacting the T&T embassy/consulate (?) and the T&T tourism website last week but have not received a reply from either. Thanks.
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Re: 💊 Prescription meds?

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Julie

No, I don't believe so. Being in advanced years, both Jill and I take an awful lot of prescribed meds and we've never had any issues. However, I would strongly recommend that you take an original copy of your NHS prescription and the standard information leaflet that comes in every packet because most drugs over there come from the U.S. so if you happen to lose any meds, the paperwork will help the pharmacist locate the US/local equivalent.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
PaulMakin
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by PaulMakin »

Definitely no problem bringing your own but always carry at least a copy of your script, just in case, and split your meds - some in hold baggage, some in your carry on.

The formulary in TnT is quite restricted. Tri-cyclics are still the most prescribed anti-deps in TnT, MAOIs are also still in pretty widespread use. Fluoxetine is still the most common (only?) SSRI in out-patient practice. SNRIs and new generation SSRIs arepretty much unheard of.

i seem to recall it was quicker for someone to get some missing meds fed-ex'd down rather than procuring locally
Chris Runciman
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by Chris Runciman »

The local ‘nhs’ medical centres carry a lot of prescription drugs which are dispensed free Yes you have to pay for them if you take your ‘script’ to a pharmacy. We have always found and so have our guests, that the pharmacists are very knowledgeable. I recently had to visit the health centre in Castara. My weight, height, temp and bp as well as blood sugar levels are always taken and kept on file there. Waiting times can be long…..no different than at home? But very dedicated staff we have found. A friend had travelled without sufficient ‘heart’ tablets causing him to panic , “I’ll have to fly home”!
The nurse in the dispensary said what these?
Panic over, holiday continued!

Return to “Health & Security”