Our first visit to Tobago...Castara..a different view?

15 open-plan lodges and apartments on a steep hillside (listing)
WendyKaye

Castara--nice or not?

Post by WendyKaye »

I am rather hoping that people decide that Castara is not for them and decide to go elsewhere. It is a very small community with a fantastic but vulnerable coral reef--in fact the entire social, cultural, and ecological systems are vulnerable to impacts such as the growing numbers of transient visitors-- tourism. And yet tourism is no doubt an increasingly important part of the local economy, in addition to fishing, supplemented by whatever few cash paying jobs might be available. It is a glorious place with local people about as friendly and welcoming as anyplace you might go on this earth. I personally would far rather visit a community that is still primarily a working community--a fishing village in this case--than a place that is totally dependent on and catering to tourism.

It would be nice if every single visitor did whatever they could to have as little impact as possible except to leave Castara even better than they found it. And remember, for the people that live there, it is their home, and possibly the only home thay have. And as visitors, regardless of our reasons for going there, we are guests. When people come to my home to visit me and then complain about my food, my housekeeping, my family, the surroundings...I tend to not invite them back.

My views are probably quite different from many of those offered on this Forum. For example, I think Trinididad is an even nicer and more interesting island than Tobago.
CliffordTC

Post by CliffordTC »

Wendy,

When my wife and I visited Castara we also enjoyed the uniqueness of the village. Hopefully we took something of the place away with us and left it as we found it. I did not presume I could leave the place "better" than I found it. We just tried to be courteous and respectful and hopefully, in our ignorance, we did not offend anyone. It has been my experience, whether as a guest or host, that a patronizing or condescending attitude is of little use to anyone. I hope you enjoyed your stay.

Cliff C.
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Post by Paul Tallet »

Yes ... maybe we should stop talking about Castara and keep it all for ourselves !!!

I am going back there for the 5th time for Easter 2005 for 3 weeks and I know it will not have changed.

272 days to go ... 6,528 hours ... 391,680 minutes ... approximately 23,500,800 seconds and counting !!
WendyKaye

Post by WendyKaye »

Paul, You said in an April post:
Also, has anyone seen the magnificent spotted Eagle Ray in Castara with a really long tail?
Yes, we did. I was not sure what it was at the time but did some research later. I have a picture but it is so dark that you cannot quite tell what it is.

I will have to think a bit about what I meant when I said "leave a place even better than you found it." I think it is possible, however, without being either condescending or patronizing. I live in a place that is also relatively unspolied while at the same time being heavily and sometimes very negatively impacted by visitors--Alaska. We really appreciate visitors who approach their time here with an attitude of interest, respect and consideration that this is our home, and an understanding that many things here will be different from what they are used to. By their grace, and their engaged participation in the lives that we are living here, and their sharing of their own knowledge and experiences, they add to our lives--they enrich us, and with more than dollars. Perhaps that is what I meant by my comment about leaving a place better than you found it.
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Post by Paul Tallet »

Hi Wendy

I am sure you are right that some of us can leave a good impression on the Castara community.

I think the children can get the most out of it ... my children have been meeting their mates on the beach to play cricket, football and chat about things ... they are seeing each other grow up when they meet each year.

Sometimes it is a bit of a shame to drag our children away for a trip around the island.

Good to hear the Eagle Ray is still around.
Terry Warner

Castara? - I will soon find out

Post by Terry Warner »

I have found this forum really interesting, especially on how so many people "love" Castara.

I will find out on Thursday (10th June 2004) as my wife and I will be off to Castara Retreats. We are flying with Excel from Gatwick. Anybody else on the flight?

I am really looking forward to actually posting some feed back about our holiday when we get back. I have only used this great web site for valuable information, so it will be nice to post a message that others could find useful.
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Terry

Have a great trip. We look forward to hearing your views. Don't go and trash Castara Retreats - we are looking forward to our own stay then next January, when we shall do a full review (bit of a cheek talking about the next reviews when I'm only half way through writing our 2004 reviews).
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
HelenH

our first visit to castara- a different view

Post by HelenH »

Just to say terry, have a great time. We were at castara retreats at easter and had a wonderful time. Anything you want to know - just ask
helen
Paul Williams
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!

Castara? - I will soon find out

Post by Paul Williams »

Hello Terry
My wife and I are going to Castara in October for our maiden trip to Tobago so we will be very interested in your thoughts as another "first timer".
I agree with you that so many people using the forum talk positively about the village and I am sure they cannot be wrong.
I posted a topic yesterday asking for peoples opinions with regard to Charlotteville and Speyside as we are thinking of staying at one of them for our second week if you get to visit them I would be interested in your views.
Have a great time

Return to “Castara Retreats”