Blue Waters Inn review

38 room 3* beachside hotel in Batteaux Bay at Speyside (listing)
Kevin Hampson
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Post by Kevin Hampson »

Thanks Steve,
the appetite is well and truly dripping. It looks like a really nice dive. She was sunk about 2 weeks after we left last year and is one of the main reasons I so keen to go back.

Regards
Kevin

With luck 5 weeks from to day you will be able to see me in that photo too
Liz W

Blue Waters transport

Post by Liz W »

Hi Annabelle

Knowing what Caribbean roads are like we'll take a taxi from the airport - I assume BWI can arrange this - but when we get there if we want to get around do we have to take taxis or do they have jeeps or something similar?

Our divers are looking forward to the famous wreck - should have a few more residents by February.

Cheers

Liz
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Liz

Yes, I'm sure the BWI would arrange a taxi for you. They don't (I believe) hire vehicles from the hotel and if there's any rentals available in Speyside, it will be very much a local guy with a couple of jeeps. If you want to get around the best idea by far is to have you own transport. If I were you, I would hire a vehicle from Crown Point, where you will have much more choice. They will meet you on arrival at the airport and then you will have no worries up at Speyside.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Liz W

Blue Waters Transport

Post by Liz W »

Hi Steve

Thanks - that's probably the best suggestion. We get in at 17.45 which I hope will give us time to get to Speyside in the light - there seems to be only one road - so we won't get lost - but we might come across the odd donkey!

I hope the hurricane has missed Tobago - any news?

Liz
Kevin Hampson
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Post by Kevin Hampson »

Hi Liz,
You can arrange car hire at BWI, one of the dive guides has a contact we did a couple of times last year and it is a pucker hire car firm. We didn't plan on having a car all the time so there seemed no point in picking one up at the airport.

We went up and down to the airport by taxi, the road is OK but twists and turns like a twisty turny thing once you get past Scarborough, some of the bends are a bit tighter than they look at first. Most of the road is two lane ish but be warned the busses cut corners. There are also some good sized pot holes so take care if you plan on driving up from the airport. At a guess it will take about 1 1/2 to 2 hours so it will probably be dark by the time you get to BWI.

Regards
Kevin
Liz W

BWI Transport

Post by Liz W »

Hi Kevin

Many thanks for that - it sounds the ideal solution - we'll book the car at the same time as the diving! I've not been to Tobago before, but if it's anything like St. Lucia's main highway it's not a road to do in the dark after a 9 hour flight!

Also, we were thinking of taking a bungalow at BWI. Are they OK or are there more bugs than in the main building? I don't mind bugs, but I like to minimise the quantity if possible!

Am watching the posts re the hurricane . . . . . .

Cheers

Liz
Kevin Hampson
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Post by Kevin Hampson »

Hi Liz,
The bungalows were fine, I must admit I didn't notice many bugs at BWI and certainly not in the rooms we had a couple of small geckos that were great fun to watch and I did notice the odd mozzy but we used one of those plug in insecticide things from Boots and had no bother from them at all.

I've been watching the hurricane stuff too, having been caught in one when I used to go to sea I know just how destructive they can be. You should be fine when you go Febuary is well outside the season. I think this one has supprised a lot of people as it has tracked well south of the normal path.

I have emailed a couple of guys I know on Trini to get an up date.

Regards
Kevin
Liz W

BWI Transport/Bungalows/bugs

Post by Liz W »

That's good news about the bugs - I shall get a plug-in from Boots!

The worst we've been in was a tropical storm in the Keys a few years ago - not a lot of fun - especially with a "sea view" room! We were also in Miami shortly after "Andrew" passed through - the place was a mess. Let's hope it doesn't hit Tobago too hard - will look out for news.

Watch out - I may have more odd queries before February!

Regards

Liz
Kevin Hampson
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Post by Kevin Hampson »

Hi Liz,
Your up late.
Tropical storm that's just a warm power shower.

To be honest we Brits really have got no idea when it comes to extreme weather. One of the sad things is the focus on the USA when things like this hit at least they have the infrastructure to deal with it which is more than can be said for most Caribbean Islands.

Regards
Kevin
Liz W

BWI communications

Post by Liz W »

Hi Kevin or Steve

Do you know when BWI expect to be back on air or on line? My friend from Phoenix has been trying to contact them but without success. I did explain that they'd had a bit of bad weather (!) and might not yet be back in touch - but I wondered if either of you had heard anything . . . . .

Liz W
Duane Kenny

Blue Waters Inn

Post by Duane Kenny »

I have been meaning to write this post for a while but comunications have been a problem. I have been fairly sick as well due to just general lack of sleep with the whole hurricane. We reopened on Sunday although email and phones seem to have only returned yesterday. Power comes and goes but the generator is automatic hence we don't have many problems. Please bare with us on the email front as the back log is incredible. If it is an emergency, email me at [email protected], fax at 868-660-5195 or call at 868-660-2583.
As for damages to the hotel the jetty took major damage, and the roof also took some damage. We lost a few of my favorite trees too. Please pray for all the other islands hit and going to be hit. This storm is most definitely a killer.
Duane
Liz W

Blue Waters Inn

Post by Liz W »

HI Duane

Thanks very much for the news - we have been waiting anxiously to hear from you. Four of us are hoping to stay at BWI towards the end of February and would like to book soon, but I'll leave it a few days so you can clear the backlog! We are really looking forward to our visit - we've heard so many good things about BWI.

All the best

Liz W.
Duane Kenny

Post by Duane Kenny »

I look forward to your email then. Have a great a day.
Duane

Return to “Blue Waters Inn”