2004 Grafton Update

108 room 3*+ All-Inclusive resort at Stone Haven Bay (listing)
Carol

2004 Grafton Update

Post by Carol »

Has anybody stayed at the Grafton recently who can comment on the current status of the accommodations? Thinking of booking there soon. I don't want/need 5*, just very clean, safe and comfortable. Any current experiences anyone would like to share? Thank you!

Also, are there any good packages from the States? Can't seem to find much about Tobago this year.
Glyn Kirpalani
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Post by Glyn Kirpalani »

Hi Carol

I understand that Steve Wooler, the ed who is here now, is soon to do one of his pro-am reviews of the Grafton (is that right Steve?) so it should be worth the wait before you book.

BWIA is launching new direct flights from USA (NYC and Miami) into Tobago according to all the media releases, so try their website as they used to offer package trips to the islands:

http://www.bwee.com
Glyn Kirpalani
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Carol (and Glyn)

Yes, you are quite right - we shall be at the Grafton and then Le Grand Courlan all of next week. My reviews of both will be published before the end of March. Sorry that it will won't be before Carol, but although the review will be written here on the island, I can't prepared all the web layout and add the graphics etc until I get home in March.

I will attempt to answer any specific questions in the forum in the meantime, but can't offer more of an update than that because there's simply so much work to do preparing these reviews and doing all the research we do while on the island.

Would you believe that I've been here two weeks tomorrow and yet I haven't been in the sea or a pool yet and only once have felt sand on my feet while taking a short walk along the beach at Charlotteville. Jill is out on an island tour today. She researches the beaches, swimming, activities and tours, etc., then comes back in the evening and feeds me all the info so that I can spend the next day bashing the laptop and get it all down. Me thinks I've arranged this wrongly somehow!
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Carol

Having posted my reply, above, I realised it didn’t really help answer your question.

Ignore all reports/reviews of the Grafton over 12 months old. The hotel had major problems and closed for a complete refurbishment. Maybe they were due for some criticism, but that sure as hell woke them up to reality. I don’t think I’ve heard any bad reports since they re-opened.

We do not waste time reviewing BAD establishments – I’ve got far better things to do with my time than sit in a room in a poor hotel/apartment/villa writing thousands of words about them. We only review establishments that we believe provide a generally good service/product. We had a complete tour of the Grafton in January 2003, in preparation for our 2004 review. Clean, safe and comfortable. YES! It comfortably passed those three requirements. Please remember that NO hotel/restaurant is suitable for everyone. Even the best establishment in the world will have complainers – or those who will tell you it is terrible. When someone complains about a hotel, 90%+ (?) of the time it is because they haven’t done proper research and basically haven’t got what they expected or were looking for.

A sad story that illustrates this occurred to us last night. Maybe I should post this in Food & Drink. Last night we dined in La Terrazza, a new Italian restaurant. The food was truly excellent. Jill reckoned it was the best Italian food she’d ever eaten. She was being so voluble in her praise that I was almost embarrassed (particularly as I am always suspicious of over-the-top praise or criticism). Anyway, during the evening, an English couple with late-teenage son arrived and sat at the table behind us. The chef made his rounds, asking patrons if they were enjoying their meal. The son complained. The pasta wasn’t “done” enough. He’s probably spent the last few years at some university eating Pot Noodles and living off over-cooked pasta. He obviously had little concept of how it SHOULD be eaten (and even less about toning down his complaints and manner in a public restaurant. Sometimes I’m ashamed to be British). We were so embarrassed for the chef/owner of the restaurant that we retired to the bar and ate our desserts outside (to prevent Jill launching a verbal/physical attack). The family should have taken the boy to a fast-food joint. The restaurant wasn’t wrong – they simply provided the twerp with something he wasn’t expecting. Still, he will go away probably saying it’s a rubbish restaurant. Mind you, I saw them leave and admit they seemed to be in high spirits, so owner Stefano must have recovered amazingly from the incident. He’s obviously got a lot more patience than me! You simply can’t win. Sorry to go off at a tangent, but it illustrates the point about no establishment being right for everyone, no matter how good (and it was nice to get that off my chest).
Steve Wooler
Carol

Post by Carol »

Hi Steve and Glyn,

Thank you for your prompt replies. And Steve, thank you for taking the time to post even though you should be enjoying Tobago now! You have a wonderful website here. Glad I found it.

Believe me, I fully understand that the tourist/customer is almost always wrong. And I know that even the best establishments can have something bizarre befall them once in a while.

I have only seen the Grafton from the outside and it always had a good reputation. I almost booked there when someone informed me that it had been closed down last winter, and my ensuing research left me with much trepidation.

Thanks again for the help!

Carol
Peter Allday

Post by Peter Allday »

Steve,

We have booked for the Grafton Beach in May/June, and are really trying to find out about the diving from there. We have sent emails to the people who are supposed to be set up there, but have had no response. If you could find out any information about them it would be really helpful.

We would also appreciate any information you find on childcare for 3 year olds.

Have a good time.

Thanks

Peter Allday
Russ

Post by Russ »

Hi Carol,

My wife and I stayed there at the beginning of November and I can honestly say that the Grafton is fantastic! I was very sceptical before arrival having never done an 'all inclusive' before, let alone as far away (for us) as the Carribean.

The food was far above average, sometimes really nice, rooms were very well looked after and maintained (silly things like the patio doors not locking properly etc. faded into insignificance...) and most of the staff were top class! Swimming pool was the only slight let down as it was quite dirty (I had heard this before we even arrived and whilst it wasn't filthy, it could have done with a good filter - especially around the swim up bar area).

Evening entertainment varied from pretty boring to extremely good (we loved the African drummers!) The drink was excellent - lots of branded names and on occasions the staff would have your next drink waiting just as you were lowering your glass from your last glug! (N.B best bar staff were at the top bar in the evening - made us feel like Royalty!)

People had posted on here before we arrived about the beach 'hustlers' but to be honest, even they became part of the experience and we actually felt totally safe wherever we went. I can honestly say that the last few hours on the beach before we left were the saddest I'd ever had on holiday as all the locals we'd met were saying goodbye and asking to be included in our final pictures etc! One of the 'regulars' who had a stall just off the beach gave us a carving he'd done and this now adjouns our bedroom wall back here in rainy England!

Finally, the beach bar is also great and was our favourite place for lunch - the best chicken, rice and peas anywhere!! Neptunes (the Fish restaurant) is also top class - you'd pay top dollar for a meal in there if it was located in London!

All in all it is a great resort and I'd willingly go back again tomorrow! :D
Carol

Post by Carol »

Hi Russ,

Thank you for taking the time to give such a thorough evaluation of the Grafton! It sounds great. (I never understood what a swimming pool on an island was for anyway.)

So I took the plunge and booked it. :) ! Hope I have as nice a time as you did.

Thanks to everyone for clarifying the situation.

Cheers,
Carol
David Watkins
Bude Cool Boy
Bude Cool Boy

Post by David Watkins »

Hi Carol,I stayed at the Grafton Nov/Dec 03 and found it excellent,the staff were efficient and friendly.the food in all the restaurants excellent and the rum............!You will enjoy it.
David :lol:
Carol

Post by Carol »

Hi David,

Thank you for sharing your good experience. It's so nice that everyone has been so helpful and encouraging on this site.

So I better start packing and find my shades... 8)

I'll let everyone know my verdict when I get back.

Cheers,
Carol
Steve Procter

Post by Steve Procter »

Hi Steve,

I was wondering if your promised review of the Grafton is anywhere near completion? We are going there in two weeks' time (first visit to Tobago) so I'd be interested to hear how it's looking!

Cheers,

Steve
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Steve

Sad to say, I've not had a chance to look at the drafts since returning a month ago today. I'm still trying to catch up on all the work that didn't get done during the six weeks I was on the island.

Being realistic, the review won't be published before you leave. However, I can tell you that we were very pleasantly surprised by the Grafton. It represents, I believe, an extremely good example of 3/4* All Inclusive resorts. It all depends upon your expectations, of course, and like ANY hotel, it won't be everybody's cup of tea. Having said that, if our stay was typical - and I have no reason to believe it was not - you will thoroughly enjoy yourself there and not hesitate to return. The hotel may have a somewhat chequered past, but they certainly appear to have kicked it into shape big-time.

Have a great trip. If you have any specific questions about the hotel, don't hesitate to post them here and I'll do my best to answer.
Steve Wooler
Steve Procter

Post by Steve Procter »

Thanks for the unbelieveably prompt reply! Sounds like all is well at the Grafton, from your comments and those of others - not that I was worried particularly - just whetting the appetite really!

Cheers,

Steve
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Steve

If you see my name (in orange, as Editor) in the list of registered users online at the bottom of the main index page, it means that I'm at my desk and technically "available". The forum control panel showed me that you were posting a message, so I was all ready, so to speak, when the email notification of the message popped into my Inbox a few seconds later.

Anyway, I hope your appetite is wet enough - you're in for a great holiday, I'm sure.
Steve Wooler

Return to “Grafton Beach Resort”