OK, so which is the most accessible hotel and environs??

135 room luxury 4* beachside resort at Crown Point (listing)
Brian Pile

OK, so which is the most accessible hotel and environs??

Post by Brian Pile »

Dear Steve

What a great website. 2 friends stayed full board at the Rex Turtle Beach in January this year and thoroughly enjoyed it. Since then I have been exploring the island via the web, and realise 1. they might have been lucky 2. there is far more choice available.

I hope you don't mind my contacting your message board for advice, but I have a special enquiry. In 1998, aged 40, I was diagnosed with MS, and now use crutches and wheelchair to get around. Despite that, my wife and I have 2 or 3 foreign (mainly European) holidays per year, and I've always fancied a Carribean trip.

Tobago sounds amazing. My only concern is finding suitable accommodation and accessible beaches/sea access (we could hire taxis to visit other places on the island, like the rain forest?). We were thinking of a January 2005 holiday, for a week. Having had a quick look at your site, the hotels which initially appeal are the Blue Haven, the Coco Reef, and the Kariwak village (sounds great, but too near the airport, too far from the sea? And I read your comment about Pigeon Point- sounds bad).

I used to be a keen snorkeller. What better place to try again than on Tobago!

If any of you were able to offer any advice, that would be great, but It is a peculiar enquiry I know. I would, of course, write up the "disabled traveller" experience for the website afterwards.

Regards
Brian
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Brian

Welcome aboard and thanks for your kind words.

Both the Coco Reef Resort and the Blue Haven have ground floor rooms with good, level access, so the room should not be a problem. I am confident that both these hotels would be more than happy to arrange appropriate accommodation, as long as they were aware of your sad circumstances.

The facilities around the hotel are a little more tricky. The main restaurant at the Coco Reef is on a sort of mezzaine floor, at a higher level than the surrounding main foyer. There are wide stairs leading up - seven steps to a landing, then a further five steps to the top (as best I can identify from the only partial photo I have). Once up, I imagine it will be no problem.

The Blue Haven is a little more tricky. The restaurant is on the first floor of another building. I believe that the restaurant building might be on higher ground, so probably involves steps. There is certainly a flight of 20-30 steps up to the first floor. This could be a problem to you.

In similar fashion, the Coco Reef is located just above the beach, so there would be steps down to the beach bar and/or beach. There are no ramps that I am aware of. If you are partially mobile, it may not be a problem. The Blue Haven, on the other hand, would be a major problem - the descent to the beach is pretty steep and narrow.

Sorry, but I can't comment on the Kariwak - which is in a different league to the Coco Reef or Blue Haven anyway. Yes, it's not beach-side, although I don't think airpcraft noise is much of a problem.

I hope this helps and that you find something suitable. Oh, one last thing - the man-made seawall at the Coco Reef may be the ugliest construction on the island (well, one of) but it is becoming a wonderful habitat for fish and other sea creatures, so is becoming a worthwhile and safe snorkelling area.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Brian Pile

Post by Brian Pile »

Steve
Very helpful, many thanks. The coco reef sounds do-able. I will email and ask if there are railings, which help a lot. I don't think my circumstances are at all sad really, and the amazing story I have just read on your website shows how helpful people can be.

Regards
Brian
Wanda

Post by Wanda »

Hi Brian
My husband is blind so finding accessible places on Tobago is a topic close to our hearts!!
I do know that the Blue Water Inn in Speyside has some specially adapted rooms for people with mobility difficulties. The hotel itself is wonderfully situated right on the beach and is an excellent venue for snorkelling and getting to the rain forests. It might be worth checking out.

I would be interested in any reviews that take into account accessiblity with regards to steps, loos etc and would be more than happy to help put together some kind of guide that would be of assistance to travellers such as my husband.

Wanda
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

I can confirm that the Blue Waters Inn does have a two-bedroom bungalow adapted for people with mobility problems. I well recall chatting briefly to a gentleman in a wheelchair who was staying there while doing our review last year. I recall that he was well satisfied with everything.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago

Return to “Coco Reef Resort”