Stag v Carib

Your questions and comment on restaurants and dining out
Joe King

Stag v Carib

Post by Joe King »

I asked the question about which beer was best before I left for Tobago, and as an Irish Man I reckon I somewhat qualified to deliver a reliable report/verdict :lol:

On the way to Tobago with BWIA, I asked for a beer and was a given a Carib, which was grand. I only had 2 on the flight but they were fine. You can't really judge beer from cans!

On the Island, I started with a Carib and then tried a Stag. Stag won!!

I attempted this experiment in numerous controlled environments (bars!) all over the island and the result was the same every time!!

Carib is just too sweet. The Stag is refreshing, smooth and doesn't leave you sick as a dog in the morning.

Carib is the beer with the biggest promotional backing, every wher you go there are Carib T-Shirts, Glasses, Keyrings and signs. Stag appears to be the poor cousin, but is definitely the finest beer on Tobago!!

Joe 8)
Kevin Hampson
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Post by Kevin Hampson »

Joe,
Did you drink it with a slice of lime in the top of the bottle to keep the mozzies off it also cuts a bit of the sweetness out of the Carib.

My worst heads were after the rum punch evenings. I usually started on Carib then progressed to rum punch great evening bad!! morning

Regards
Kevin
Joe King

Post by Joe King »

I never though of that. I was mainly drinking draft anyway.

I have to agree about the rum punches. I had 2 one evening and almost fell asleep in my dinner afterwards :oops: they are vicious

There is one cocktail in Bonkers called the wrecker, it is meant to be a least twice as strong as their rum punch. I didn't try it, I don't believe there are any confirmed reports of anyone waking up the next morning after one of them :shock: :lol:

Joe
Kevin Hampson
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Post by Kevin Hampson »

Hi Joe,
I've only ever had the bottled stuff hence the trick the the lime. I can and will drink both baut as that say "Stag, it's a mans beer".

I did like the rum punches, a group of us at BWI had a evening session on rum & coke and rum punches and I don't think any of us went diving the following morning.

Regards
Kevin

I wish I had not started this, I work offshore and it's a dry installation, at the moment I'm gasping for a Carib.
David Watkins
Bude Cool Boy
Bude Cool Boy

Post by David Watkins »

Hi Joe,Glad you enjoyed youself.Yup Stag is definitely the better beer and considerably stronger than Carib so it is not a lunch time refresher else if you do have a couple of Stags at lunch I found you said goodbye to the afternoon!!!!!!
Cheers with less than 28 weeks to go
David :D
N Muir

Post by N Muir »

STAG
Marc Jones

Post by Marc Jones »

Couldn't really tell the difference myself (bottled and draught).

But then it was my first beer since last may! (gave up to lose weight - and did BTW).
Sharon E

Post by Sharon E »

Well being female I know I shouldnt but go for the STAG everytime after a few rum puches first :lol: but after all that I must say I have bought a bottle of carib for the sugar birds :oops:
Joanne

Stag -V- Carib

Post by Joanne »

According to my Husband "Stag during the day, then Carib in the evening. Both are refreshing though!"

If a 'taste test challenge' is required, he is willing to participate in the trial!
Lisa Sweeney

Carib v Stag

Post by Lisa Sweeney »

Hi Joe

You can't have missed the advertising all over Tobago 'Stag, a man's beer' surely?

Having returned three weeks ago from Tobago with my boyfriend and a long haired male friend I am in no doubt that a Stag is a mans beer and a carib is for the ladies!

My long haired mate, on several occassions asked for a beer at many different bars only to be served a carib with a straw every time!

I also received a carib with a straw (I am a girl by the way) and my boyfriend was always offered a stag no straw! hee hee hee!
Andreas A.

Post by Andreas A. »

Stag! :)

Ran my legs off at Crown Point to get a stag T-shirt, but the vendors only have the Carib merchandise it seems :(
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Post by Steve Wooler »

Maybe that says it all, Andreas - Stag figure that a "man" doesn't need to advertise the fact, so they produce all the Carib merchandise for the sweet-toothed girlies. :P :P :P
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Andreas A.

Post by Andreas A. »

Hehe, probably Steve :)

"Stag is presently positioned a "A MAN’S BEER" and is enjoyed mainly by young successful men who enjoy sports and times of relaxation. The brands presently owns one-third of the local beer market and has a taste that is slightly bitter and hoppy, consistent with European lagers.

It is a full-bodied lager with a 5.5% alc./vol., and has earned a reputation locally for its consistent quality and taste."

(from http://www.caribbeer.com)
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

Damn! That means I'm going to have to change to Carib. I'm neither young nor enjoy sport, so I don't qualify to drink Stag. :cry:
Steve Wooler
Joe King

Post by Joe King »

Don't fret Steve, we will give you 'Honourary Young Sports Man' status :lol:

Stay with the stag, or you will have to eat all your words from the past few years on this site :lol:
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

That's decent of you Joe and I'll wear the honourary title with pride - after all, they say you're as young as the person you feel (no sick joke intended). So that leaves just the sport issue.

Personally, I felt that Holland were on dissapointing form last night and only came to life in the closing stages when Pierre van Hooijdonk crossed to van Nistelrooy, who knocked it in.

Does that qualify me???
Steve Wooler
N Muir

Stag v Carib

Post by N Muir »

sorry to inform all you carib drinkers that there's none on the island. :oops: The brewery is on strike. so you'll all have to switch to Stag..... or Heineken, which is better anyhow. :D
Joe King

Post by Joe King »

Your in Steve :lol:

Thats unlucky that the Carib has run dry, at least it isn't the good beer... Stag!!! :D
David Watkins
Bude Cool Boy
Bude Cool Boy

Post by David Watkins »

As long as it's back for December I don't care if the Island is dry!!!!
Selfish or what?23 weeks to go......whoopeee!!!
David :D
Terence H

Post by Terence H »

Have just heard from friends that the carib strike is still on.

Unless they are winding me up , they report that there is not a Carib or Stag on the island and Carlsberg and Heineken are running out fast. :?

Guiness anyone?

Return to “Restaurants, Food & Drink”