Le Grand Courlan

Your questions and comment on restaurants and dining out
B Hill

Le Grand Courlan

Post by B Hill »

I am still not 100% clear about the dinner arrangements at this hotel. Your report of this hotel indicated that a buffet is served twice a week (Wednesday & Friday). Other reports on different websites made in 2003 indicate that a buffet is served 7 days a week, the difference being that on 5 days it is waiter service from the buffet. So for instance if the menu had a dish served with a sauce and you wanted it without sauce that was not an option as everything was pre-prepared. Do you know if this is the case? I have contacted the hotel but have not received a response so far.
:)
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi B

Well, I've just checked the Dining section of our review and it seems perfectly clear. As it says in the article, the main restuarant only has a buffet twice a week. Merely serving from a pre-prepared buffet is NOT something I would tolerate and if that was the case, we would be the first to condemn the practise. I would have thought there would be absolutely no problem about having a main course without the sauce.

To be frank, the fact that you have not received a reply to your email does not surprise me. The Grafton/Le Grand Courlan appear to have a serious attititude problem towards dealing with email.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
David Watkins
Bude Cool Boy
Bude Cool Boy

Post by David Watkins »

Hi B,I've stayed at the Grafton and yes they do have buffet style 2/3 days a week the other days are a la carte and your meal is cooked to order in the kitchen.Soups and vegetables are on the buffet but using the buffet as a bain marie and desserts are in the cold cabinet in the buffet area,all soups,starters,mains veg and desserts are served by waitons. There is also Neptunes restaurant above the pool which is a fish a la carte and also The Bucaneer Beach Bar does a la carte most evenings,but this is not part of AI,however they do give a 25USD allowance if you are AI.Hope this helps,David(43 days to go)
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

David

I think you trying to confuse B even more :lol:

The Grafton and Le Grand Courlan are different hotels. They may be owned by the same guy and adjacent to each other, but have completely different kitchens, dining rooms, staff and a different type of guest. Yes, the Grafton has themed buffets every other night, but B is staying at Le Grand Courlan, so will not be dining at the Grafton.
Steve Wooler
David Watkins
Bude Cool Boy
Bude Cool Boy

Post by David Watkins »

Woops sorry :oops: :oops:
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

Go on, admit it - you're just trying to get to your 100th post and become "Oh so sad", aren't you? :wink:
Steve Wooler
David Watkins
Bude Cool Boy
Bude Cool Boy

Post by David Watkins »

YUP!!!!!!
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hello David

Congratulations and welcome to a very select band of just eight "Oh So Sadders" - excluding myself, of course (I dread to think what my 1686 posts makes me - "Get A Lifer"?)

Just out of interest, here are the running stakes

291 - Marc Jones
239 - ex member Glyn Kirpalani (Tobago)
175 - Paul Tallet
148 - Kevin Hampson
123 - Brian & Steph Taylor (Tobago)
119 - John Hill
117 - Joe King
100 - David Watkins
Steve Wooler
Ann E

Post by Ann E »

Just out of interest what happened to Glyn Kirpalani seem to remember seeing a lot of posts from him in the past.
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Ann

For legal reasons I am unable to answer that question.
Steve Wooler
Brian Taylor
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by Brian Taylor »

jihaaa... we are goooood!
but we will never pass paul tallet...I feel he sleeps with his head on the keyboard... :wink:
we would not do that since we are in beautyful castara and we would miss out too much :!:
by the paul. lift you head from the pc get you sun-glasses on 8) and get moving... your bet price is waiting here with us. the winner takes it all :lol:
steve, how does it feel: lonely at the top?

we'll keep it coming!

steph & brian
Stephanie & Brian "Alibaba" Taylor
Alibaba-Tours - http://www.Alibaba-Tours.com
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Post by Paul Tallet »

Hmmm ... THAT SAD eh?

Mind you, every time I remove the last week's weather updates I get a little less sad ... but in reality that makes me sadder than everyone thinks !!

Never mind, I feel happy in myself and I hope that is reassuring to everybody ... :shock: ... Heh Heh !!

Steve/Marc ... when are you expecting to be released into the community?

Brian ... I will be there next March to collect my winnings and you can see if I have an imprint of my keyboard across my face !!
Paul Tallet
Public Relations Consultant for Mother Nature
Brian Taylor
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by Brian Taylor »

we'll be checking!
Stephanie & Brian "Alibaba" Taylor
Alibaba-Tours - http://www.Alibaba-Tours.com
John Hill

Post by John Hill »

But thens theres Marc what dose he want to known ???? Scared of his own shaddow. great Guy I THINK> :roll:

Forgot hes the ONE what team was it Marc forgot.
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Post by Paul Tallet »

John ... are you on the Port again ???
Paul Tallet
John Hill

Post by John Hill »

Paul Hi

No Pot only Pot Noodles !! I am off to some good weather Tuesday in the Gambia just touching 100 ° Rainy season finished. No high winds what a bore.
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Post by Paul Tallet »

Hi John

Gambia is now just above the line where the tropical storms brew ... so should be good there.

Enjoy your noodles ... but take a nice bottle of Port to wash them down with.

Have fun.
Paul Tallet
B Hill

Post by B Hill »

Lack of e-mail response from Le Grand Courlan.
It is on nearly two months (24/10/2004) that I e-mailed Le Grand Courlan with a question and to-date I have still not received a reply. The result of this is that we are going to book somewhere else to stay. Steve said in this reply to my original question that “The Grafton/Le Grand Courlan appear to have a serious attitude problem towards dealing with email.” Well I can certain concur that I have also experienced the same problem.
B
Neil Roberts
myTobago Nut
myTobago Nut

Post by Neil Roberts »

Last year we had the same lack of e-enthusiasm with the Blue Waters Inn, although we had a good stay there. For e-efficiency, The Blue Haven were excellent, as was their service, but of course they weren't cheap but seemed to have plenty of excellent, charming staff. Best wishes, Neil Roberts.
David Old

Post by David Old »

Just to let you guys know about the Le Grand and its email response

I too emailed them through their web site but received no reply. I eventually phoned the hotel and spoke to Marie Johns the Mangeress who was very helpful and gave me her personal email address.

I received a reply to this from the Front Office Manager Vaughns Taylor. They do not it seems use the Le Grand email address so I suggest you try

[email protected] (I hope its ok with you Steve to put out email addressess)

I hope this gets the response you need

Return to “Restaurants, Food & Drink”