Tropikist Hotel

54 room 2* budget hotel in Crown Point (listing)
L Murfet

Tropikist Hotel

Post by L Murfet »

Post Recreated: Originally posted - 07 February 2003

Hi! Has anyone recently been to the Tropikist Hotel? What was it like and are there many restaurants close by? We're thinking of going in May and would appreciate some feed-back.

Many thanks
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Tropikist Hotel

Post by Steve Wooler »

I'll reserve comment on the Tropikist as I haven't been there. Use the forum search facility because it has been mentioned several times. You might wish to widen your accommodation search.

There is one excellent restaurant right next door to the Tropikist - Ru-B-Lous. Excellent catering (you must try their Surf & Turf) at reasonable prices in a very unpretenious setting. Excellent. There are lots of other good restaurants within a five minute drive.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Tim M

Tropikist Hotel

Post by Tim M »

We stayed at the Tropikist in October 2002. The accomodation was fine (dependant on what you have paid). Location in Crown Point also O K, though if we go to Tobago again it won't be to this resort. Really close to the airport (though no noise problems), you can walk your luggage from hotel to airport! I would NOT recommend eating at the hotel though. We were room only which was a definate plus. Try Ruby Lu's as recomended by Steve, also Bonkers, Dillons or the Pelican Reef. Lunches at the Waving Gallery at Store Bay "Beach Facility" were also entertaining and good value. For EXCELLENT evening entertainment (Friday/Saturday only whilst we were there) try the Crystal Bar, less than 5 minutes walk from the hotel. Full of locals, great music and super atmosphere. I would be happy to provide more info' email me, [email protected]
L Murfet

Tropikist Hotel

Post by L Murfet »

Great thanks for that! It looked nice in the brochure but you never know...... We wanted to stay in a small hotel that wasn't too isolated where other restaurants etc were accessible on foot or without having to drive too far. I did have a look on your site using the search facility and there were some helpful items on the Tropikist. Will you be visiting this hotel? Perhaps someone has been there recently? Thanks
Steve Wooler

Tropikist Hotel

Post by Steve Wooler »

If I get the opportunity, I will pop in for you. However, they're not the sort of place that non-residents will go to so I may not get past the front door. Sadly I have no contacts there as the hotel refuse to acknowledge my emails every since I refused to remove reference to the fact that it is a 'three story complex'.
Steve Wooler
Chris

Tropikist Hotel

Post by Chris »

L; Why not check out the Crown Point Beach Hotel (I can't help favouring them .. :-) which is in the same neighborhood, at the same price level as Tropikist, decent in-house restaurant and midway between Rub-a-Lou's and Dillons restaurants. Actually, we headed for Tropikist for dinner one evening (last October); the place looked nice in the brochures. We entered the restaurant, had a look at the not-too-exciting menu and the general uninviting atmosphere, and decided to go somewhere else. Think that was the night we dropped in at Ru-B-Lous for an enjoyable, generous home-cooking meal.
Steve Wooler

Tropikist Hotel

Post by Steve Wooler »

Seems opinion is fairly conclusive. I’ve just come back from taking photos of Ru-B-Lou’s for the review that I shall write over coming weeks. In view of your enquiry, I decided to call in at the Tropikist which is just next door. Reception was closed and there was nobody I could speak to and I didn’t want to just wander around the place. By one of those strange coincidences, however, a resident from the Tropikist came into Ru-B-Lou’s to book a table whilst I was taking the photos and we got chatting. She rated the location and rooms at the Tropikist very highly indeed, but was less than complimentary about the food and management. Her opinion was that you will probably be very satisfied if you only use it for accommodation and eat out. Her recommendation was not to go All Inclusive.
Steve Wooler
L Murfet

Tropikist Hotel

Post by L Murfet »

Post Recreated: Originally posted - 12 February 2003

Hi Steve Thanks for doing that! Your comments and web-site have been a great help. We'll have a good think about the comments posted and make our decision. Thanks again.

Hi Tim Thanks for the reply. We've been offered a very good room only deal at this hotel but didn't want to rush into taking it up wihtout getting some feed-back. On the hotel's web-site there appears to be a small beach - what was this like?? And could you swim from the beach? Many thanks
Steve Wooler

Tropikist Hotel

Post by Steve Wooler »

Post Recreated: Originally posted - 12 February 2003

I believe that the small beach outside the hotel is not suitable for swimming, due to dangerous currents. However, you are only 5 minutes walk from Store Bay, one of the most popular beaches on the island.
Steve Wooler
Irene

Tropikist Hotel

Post by Irene »

Post Recreated: Originally posted - 13 February 2003

My husband and I stayed at the Tropikist Beach Hotel in January on an all-inclusive basis. After three days we were very disappointed with the service. Food was late, always cold and the quality was not good, tables were not cleared, impossible to get served at the bar as staff ignored you and breakfasts were a nightmare. We complained and asked to be taken off all-inclusive. The hotel manager agreed and put us on the bed and breakfast option immediately. However, the owners did not take kindly to this and as a result we were sworn at, abused, ripped off and kicked out by one of the Directors. We had to call the police for this abusive behaviour to stop. They refused to provide an itemised bill so we would know what they were charging us for and as they had taken our money up front we had no alternative but to sign the refund slips and leave. If you stay at the Tropikist, complain at your peril. The reception staff at this hotel are trained to be rude and the Directors are malicious. We feel that we were victims of crime in Tobago, but the criminals were those running the Tropikist Hotel. Stay at the Crown Point Hotel. The staff are just wonderful and you will be well looked after.
Steve Wooler

Tropikist Hotel

Post by Steve Wooler »

I did not like to mention it in my previous response, but I was told about this incident by a third party who was staying at the Tropikist at the time of Irene's incident. I didn't know Irene's name, but it is too coincidental to have been someone else (I hope!). My 'contact' left the hotel in disgust at the way Irene had been treated - all very publicly. Local sources allege that this is normal and that Irene's report can be taken at face value.
Steve Wooler
L Murfet

Tropikist Hotel

Post by L Murfet »

Thanks for that Irene - not good reading but nice to know! I think I'll have a look at the Crown Point Hotel as you suggest. Hope the rest of your hotel was OK!!
Chris

Tropikist Hotel

Post by Chris »

Irene; Good to here is some others on this board who make a mention of the Crown Point beach Hotel. My comments are scattered about here, but just wanted to supplement the words with some pictures of the spacious CPBH sites: http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/k_tieff
Maggie

Post by Maggie »

All I want to say is dont stay at the Tropikist everything that has already been written is true. Some of the staff are really nice but definately demotivated by the people they work for. We stayed there twice, the first time it was OK so we came back for more but never again - please dont allow yourself to be put in such a position. Enough said.

Please try a new bar and restuarant that has not long opened, we had a wonderful meal there one of the best we had in Tobago and really reasonable. The place is called Cafe Iguana. It is at the crossroads, open air with tables out the front. Try it on a Sunday evening when they hold a salsa class. The owners are friendly, the staff are too and they seem to have entertainment most evenings.

Most of all have a great holiday :?
Kevin Ronan

Tropikist was OK!!!

Post by Kevin Ronan »

As Marion said an another discussion about the Tropikist, the service is a bit slow but the hotel, pool and general ambience of the place we found very good.

I personally would not recommend going all inclusive as the food is very limited. However if you are looking for a cheap, spacious, clean hotel with good facilities in a lovely setting and convenient locations with great views out to the Caribbean sea - I would go back there again.

Sunset Deck at the Tropikist is great to watch the sun go down with a long drink and good company.

All that said I can believe it would be possible to get frustrated with the service, the food and there prob are better places to stay, but for us it was great.
Andy Siegel

Tropikist

Post by Andy Siegel »

Hi all,
we' re stayed at the Tropikist for 2 weeks from 14th may.
the hotel was nice and the personel too.
we'd booked a standard room first, but we upgraded to a deluxe room after 2 night, becaue we felt a little annoyed to be in the caribbian without seeing the ocean.
after we moved to the deluxe room everthing was just right.
the rooms are equipted with a/c, safe, tv, hairdryer, minibar..... etc and are really clean... i mean really!
we didn't had any insects like moskitos or cocroaches, so far so good.
as we booked only room with breakfast we ate once in the restaurant (we had BBQ) which wasn't bad, even the price.
we checked with the local restaurants near by and bars which were very nice.

cheers

andy
Paul Makin
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!

hi

Post by Paul Makin »

only just found this board - thought i'd chip in with my opinion of tropikist

stayed first in 89 and loved it. returned in 90 and 91, no problems at all.

then i missed a few years and returned in 99 after the new developments were operational and have to say was very disappointed. atmosphere had gone, staff seemingly disinterested/demoralised, general decline in service etc.

i've not been back and dont intend to, there is much better available imho.

regards
paul
Mimi Donaldson

Post by Mimi Donaldson »

Hi, goes from bad to worse!!...Was booked to go to Kenya!! but as the terrorists seem to have got their way, having been refunded we decided on Tobago and the Tropikist Hotel...we fly out on the 28th...its the 25th today and ive just seen all the horrible things that have been written re this hotel, with the exception of Josie Venn...who seems to have been the most recent tourist at this hotel and had a good time!
We are are on an AI package! and are faced with the possiblity of eating out all the time if what has been said is true!!
So whats the story? is Josie Venns version the one to cling too..or are the horror stories the norm rather than the exception.
Forewarned is forearmed so all suggestions ,tips and advise are welcome.
We shall of course post a full report upon our return!

great site by the way..we've printed off a few facts and tips on how to get the best out of our holiday regardless of the hotel!
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Mimi

Sorry if we’ve alarmed you.

The Tropikist are well-aware of myTobago.info and the comments published here. The management allegedly have an attitude problem, but they are not stupid. They must realise that continued criticism of the type demonstrated on this site will eventually put the hotel out of business. Therefore, when I saw Josie’s post I thought and hoped, possibly naively, that just maybe they had taken the criticism on board and addressed their shortcomings. To be honest, I’ve had no other reports either through the forum or privately, so can’t tell you whether me theory (hope) was right or whether Josie’s experience was a one off.

Just finally, the rooms at the Tropikist are good and you’re within walking distance of one of Tobago’s most popular beaches and I’m sure you will have a brilliant time. The Tropikist can’t be all bad – it’s been going for some time and I have heard reports from some people who love it. The only criticism has been of the catering and management attitude if you complain about anything. Don’t forget that you have Ru-B-Lou’s restaurant just round the corner, so you’ve got a good, reasonably priced bolt-hole if you want a change from the hotel’s catering.

Please be sure to post a report on your return. We really need updates on this hotel. We’ll all keep our fingers crossed for you. I’m sure all the wonderful things about Tobago will totally offset mediocre food at the Tropikist.
Steve Wooler
Mimi Donaldson

Tropikist Beach

Post by Mimi Donaldson »

We stayed at the Tropikist Beach Hotel from 28 June to 12 July 2003 and as promised here's our report.....

The Hotel's location and setting were fabulous. We awoke to a fabulous sea view which we never grew tired of. We watched pelicans diving for fish and hummingbirds ... well humming along! The main restarant also had a wonderful view of the sea towards Pigeon Point as did the bar area. The grounds were well kept and thoughtfully landscaped, we loved the pool with its swim up bar and waterfall. Our standard room was spacious and clean although we felt the landings and stair wells were a bit shabby and could have benefitted from a lick of paint. Our air conditioning did drip at times and the shower was a dribble but all in all the room was a reasonable standard. The superior rooms in the newer block were quite luxurious, larger with more modern fittings. The food was ok, although lacking in imagination with the same meals every day. The evening meal consisted of local fish, two types of meat in some sort of sauce, rice, potatos in various forms and mixed vege. It was so uninspiring that on three or four occasions we came down for dinner and decided not to bother!! Breakfast was buffet style with cereals, fruit and toast (they now have two toasters) plus eggs, bacon, beans and corned beef hash and lunch was toasted sandwiches or burger and chips. We did have to wait up to an hour and a half for lunch unless you ordered bang on 12.30 and then it wasn't too bad. The trick was to order lunch and then resume one's position on one's sunbed until called. The bar service was poor and in general the staff were seriously lacking in motivation. They have perfected the art of 'not catching your eye' and appearing 'busy doing nothing' which I found irritating. We kept telling our selves, "Hey we're on holiday", "it is the Carribbean after all" etc. buts thats not really what you pay your hard earned for is it? We were told the staff are paid a pittance (something like 80p and hour) however if they do not give the guests a good service and the hotel closes they will get paid nothing. On occassion the managers brother (so we were told) put in an appearance and things livened up to a snails pace. The reception staff were helpful and even loaned us a mobile charger as although we bought adaptors that supposedly converted the currency they would not charge the phone. Incidently Orange told us they had no roaming agreement with Tobago and that you therefore could not use your mobile phone. We however phoned and text messaged with no problems and the calls have not shown up on our bill so take an orange phone with you!!!

All in all we had a fabulous holiday, met some super people, both locals and fellow guests, we even met Dwight York at the Golden Star. We did our PADI diving course at the Manta dive school at Pigeon Point who we can highly recommend. We toured the island in the company of Evans eating lunch at Jemma's treehouse restaurant in Speyside (a must). Evans also took us to the Golden Star for the talent show and to Sunday school and was a very helpful chap to know all round.

We liked the hotel but felt there was so much more they could have done to make it better. In fact we spent a few evenings in the bar deciding exactly how we'd improve the hotel if we ran it!!

Return to “Tropikist Beach Hotel”