Coco Reef Evenings

135 room luxury 4* beachside resort at Crown Point (listing)
Alison Meyers

Coco Reef Evenings

Post by Alison Meyers »

Ok so a question for the ladies who have been to coco reef, I am off to coco reef in March, I can’t wait to get there, but after reading all the the reviews the elegantly casual dress code is getting me a bit confused, I understand it to mean no shorts for the ladies, so I’m presuming skirts that are above the knee are fine ? ( I don’t mean mini skirts, haven’t the legs anymore unfortunately) . Also the no t-shirts for men thing, does this apply to womens smarter vest tops ( made of t-shirt material) of which I have many ,which on previous hols to the Caribbean I have worn as smart in the evening. Also it mentions no flip flops, I have a pair of leather braided toe thongs, as all the shops seem to like calling them now, which in effect are flip flops but dressier. Would I be ok with these?? I presume flat mule type shoes are fine too?? Any advice would be gladly received. (Sorry to all the men who will be tutting and groaning now about women and clothes etc etc, you’ll never understand so don’t even try, just accept that a woman likes to know she has the right thing to wear on her holiday!)

Thanks
Ali
DoreenV

Post by DoreenV »

Hello Alison,

I have been to Coco Reef a few times and can say t-shirts are ok for ladies as are flat shoes. You do not need to dress like you are going to a ball. The mens dress code thing is to stop them wearing the kind of round neck, very casual t-shirts. Collared t-shirts are fine. I think the idea is to make the evening experience a bit special, by people making the effort to "dress" for dinner.

Hope you have a great time. Doreen V
Alison Meyers

Post by Alison Meyers »

Thanks alot for the reply, I'm glad I don't have to pack the ballgown! I always like to get smarter for the evenings, I just couldn't decide on how smart elegantly casual was. Really looking forward to getting there now and being able to write a fantastic review of the place when I get back, as I'm sure some of these bad reviews I've seen of late are a load of cobblers, people who just won't be happy on any holiday they are on!

Thanks again

Ali
Joe King

Post by Joe King »

Hi Alison,

I know you girls thinks that the boys never worry about clothes, but some of us do sometimes!! Anyway just a word of warning if you have a man-friend going with you, the staff of coco-reef appear to take exception to men in denim. I wore a pair of extremely expensive jeans, with a pair of shoes and a smart shirt to Coco Reef last year, and my wife and I were treated like diseased animals.

I know it is still thought by some back-ward thinking people that jeans are not acceptable, but welcome to the 21st century people, jeans can be very smart when the appropriate pair are worn for the occasion.

Anyway... rant over :wink:

have a great time, just don't wear jeans into Coco Reef

Joe
Bryn

Dress Code at Coco Reef....it's not the Savoy!!

Post by Bryn »

We went to celebrate our engagement at the Coco Reef in 2001 and my hubby (who happens to be a Trini) was, as usual, very smartly dressed in a pair of lightweight cord dress slacks and a very nice linen shirt with a linen jacket and dress shoes. The dude at the front desk who clearly had an issue with a Trini being able to afford to eat in Tamara's was so rude to him and told us we would be refused service because he was in corduroy. I was so incensed that I marched us right up to the dining room and spoke to the manager and gave them a piece of my mind.....needless to say.....we were seated at a fabulous table and treated like royalty. The sad thing is that I have never experienced that kind of 'racism' before, and certainly wouldn't have thought that we would get it in Tobago of all places....and by his same race! I did write to the hotel owner and suggest the fellow on the front desk be canned.....didn't bother checking last trip to see if he was still there. I prefer the Hilton to the Coco Reef any day....they are so snooty there.....I almost forgot where we were!

Bryn
Vancouver, BC

Return to “Coco Reef Resort”