Restaurants recently visited

Your questions and comment on restaurants and dining out
Lesley R

Post by Lesley R »

We recently returned from Tobago and although our holiday was all-inclusive we visited the following restaurants: -

BONKERS
Visited twice for lunch - nice location and we all enjoyed the food. The chilli con carne was very good - very spicy, almost too hot for us and we like spicy food!

JEMMA'S TREEHOUSE
We visited on Sunday lunchtime and it was very quiet when were there. The food was delicious, especially the side dishes, but the lobster and shrimp would have been so much nicer with a cold glass of white wine...... The service, however, was very slow and surly, not something we experienced in any other restaurant in Tobago.

SEAHORSE INN
We had a very enjoyable meal on our last night. Food and service was very high quality. Large potions - 'Reef and Beef' consisted of 3 lobster tails and a huge steak! Sadly we weren't hungry enough to do the food justice.

Overall I enjoyed all my food in Tobago, including the food in our hotel, Grand Courlan.
Bryn

Jemma's...if you don't already know...it's my favourite!!

Post by Bryn »

Just to let everyone know, Jemma's is a no alcohol establishment. They are Seventh Day Adventists. However, you may bring in your own wine/beer if you wish. As for the slow service....it is my dear.....Tobago. Everything happens in Tobago time. Being married to a Trini....I am very used to the laid back, slow pace. I think it's a Caribbean ting!

As for the perceived surliness....most of it is just that....perceived. Tobagonians are generally very friendly people but aren't full of big smiles and overly friendly behaviour until it is shown to them first. Remember, we are the tourists and not all tourists are friendly and nice. It's up to the stranger to make the first move and invite the wonderful Tobagonian charm. It's a cultural thing I suppose. Remember too, that these people come from a history of slavery and therefore you won't get the same kind of 'service' or 'servitude' that you will get in the Far East or Asia.

Bryn
Vancouver, BC
Lesley R

Post by Lesley R »

There is a saying 'Perception is reality'. In my opinion the service in Jemma's was disappointing; being Caribbean is not an excuse. This was my experience on one day with one waitress; I am sure others will have a different and hopefully more positive experience.

Tobago is a wonderful island, and almost everyone we encountered - hotel staff, taxi drivers, locals as we walked around and restaurant staff - were delightful. I have travelled all over the world and extensively through the Caribbean, and fully appreciate the difference between good and bad customer service.

One of the thing which most disappoints me about these forums is that it sometimes feels that no criticism of Tobago is allowed. I loved the food at Jemma's but the service experience was not good - this is nothing to do with not understanding the Caribbean way or the slower pace. The reality is that our experience at Jemma's was at odds with our other Tobago dining experiences.
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Lesley

While I agree with everything that Bryn says, I also totally endorse your comments about the service at Jemma's.

Ever since a reader posted a damning report on staff conditions at Jemma's a couple of years ago, I've been keeping a quiet eye on the place. To be honest, I don't like what I hear and now admit that there was probably more than a little substance to the report, which alleged poor pay and bad treatment. Such conditions guarantee poor morale and it shows, big-time, at Jemma's.

Bryn is spot-on regarding the Tobagonian cultural make-up, but the situation at Jemma's goes far beyond this. She is cashing in on the fact that there is little employment in Speyside, unlike the rest of the island.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Bob White
myTobago Nut
myTobago Nut

Speyside problem

Post by Bob White »

Sad to say but I agree with Steve.

We have various friends and family who have stayed at our house on the island and not many have a good word to say about the restaurant. Over-rated.....indifference.... poor attitude are regular comments in our house visitors' book. There are plenty of better restaurants in Tobago.
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

Pardon? Sad to agree with me? That man can stand in the corner of the forum for the next 72 hours.

:twisted:

Only joking, Bob - I know what you meant.
Steve Wooler
Bob White
myTobago Nut
myTobago Nut

Agree!

Post by Bob White »

..... and being a teacher, I will do my 100 lines too!

A real shame to see good and decent people on the island being exploited especially as it looks like times are getting better.

Just to say Steve this is a fantastic site. I never feel too far away from de island.

I won't always agree though Steve!

Best wishes,

Bob.
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

How boring it would be if you did :lol:
Steve Wooler
Bob White
myTobago Nut
myTobago Nut

Agree?

Post by Bob White »

....... but then again.... :D
Brian Taylor
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by Brian Taylor »

just been at the birdwatcher next door to jemmas last week and....what a difference. great service!!!! excellent food with a smile and the question if everything is to you convenience after yo started eating. a nice little chat while clearing the table... and guess what: this man is tobagonian, too...
it is possible to do different!

highly recommended!
Stephanie & Brian "Alibaba" Taylor
Alibaba-Tours - http://www.Alibaba-Tours.com
David Watkins
Bude Cool Boy
Bude Cool Boy

Post by David Watkins »

I wonder if being a solo traveller/diner makes a difference.
1,I've always believed that Jemmas is over rated and over priced,so on my last visit I went with some Danish people.I did not give them my opinion before we went,however Jemma's confirmed it adequately.
2.Bonkers!A half hour wait for a soup starter-when it arrived it was cold.My main eventually arrived one and a quarter hour later.This to was cold.Busy?no! One other copule and afamily group,who seemed to get very good service.No stars,no tip,no return!
I didn't visit Seahorse this time after bad experiences previously.
David
SJKeeler

Post by SJKeeler »

We recently returned from a two week stay in Tobago, and here are our restauant reveiws:

Cafe Iguna: nice atmosphere, good service, reasonably priced, average food. Last year the food was outstanding, so could have been a bad night, or different chef.

Bonkers: excellent, reasonably priced food. Rum roasted pork is outstanding, as is the sweet and sour steak. Good service one night, not so good service another night. Definitely worth considering.

Riverside: We visited here for lunch after a rainforest tour. Great fish and bbq chicken, and excellent sides of macoroni pie, callaloo, etc. Family style, prompt service.

Pelican Reef: Outstanding! Every meal was excellent, service was great and reasonably priced. Standouts were the pan seared mahi mahi and the vodoo shrimp. A must visit.

La Terrazza: A top notch dining experience with prices that were outstanding for the value. The gnocchi are to die for, as are the open ravioli in sage cream sauce. Service is relaxed, which doesn't mean slow, but don't expect a fast dining experience. The dining room was hot, though, so dress accordingly. A must visit.

Flaming Dragon: Good, but not as good as the Red Crab. Inexpensive and excellent service. The lo mein is terrific.

Island Girl: Well, not a restaurant, but a catamaran sail. Have to include, because captain Scott makes one of the best lunches on the island! Grilled fish and chicken and all the sides.

Sandy Point Beach Club: This is were we stayed and the small cafe does excellent breakfast and lunch at very inexpensive prices. Great fried bake, chicken and pelau. We ate here several times and were never disappointed.
T Heie

Post by T Heie »

selfishly, I ask:
how was sandy point beach club for accommodations?
dying for a 2005 review. we arrive in May.

if you don't want to use this thread, maybe you could enlighten us under sandy point's accommodation thread. i'll keep an eye out
Simone Eade

Jemma's

Post by Simone Eade »

Sorry to drag this up again but having just got back from Tobago my impression of Jemma's was not great. In fact after waiting 15 minutes for a waitress we went next door to the Birdwatchers - which was fantastic. Instant seating, service with a smile and effort, a bit of a wait for the food but no big deal as we knew it was coming and was worth the wait. It was sad to see the staff at Jemma's looking quite unhappy, but as for the novelty value of eating in a tree you can have the same experience with great food and friendly service over in Castara. Complete with a steel pan player.

Other restaurants visited include Cafe Iguana and Bonkers at Crown Point, both excellent value for money with friendly staff and very good food, though the desserts at Bonkers were average. But my favourite restaurant is definitely Gail's in Charlotteville - if you visit the village you must go there. Fantastic value and superb food - pea soup followed by fresh fish, rice, veg etc. The cook, who I presumed to be Gail herself, came out to check if everyone was enjoying their meal - totally Tobagon.
Andy D
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!

Post by Andy D »

I keep hearing bad things about Gemmas which is a shame because i was looking forward to eating there when we return in April,only drove past it last year so i know what it looks like from the outside,really not sure whether to bother eating there now to be honest although the place next door sounds good.I'll also check out Gails too. :D
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

Visited Birdwatch last year, were considering Jemma's, but was very busy and seemed expensive for a lunch (by Tobago standards) Birdwatch was excellent, one of the best meals we had, would have returned but too lazy to trek up from Scarborough! well worth a visit if you are in the area.

Linda ( 7 weeks to go :lol: )
Alan Davies

Post by Alan Davies »

Here are my thoughts on restaurants/cafes visited although we stuck to lunch time visits only:

Best Of Thymes - good quality food at reasonable prices, service ok

Bonkers - good quality food at reasonable prices, service good, the goat stew was my favourite

Blue Waters Inn - good quality food, good prices (they include service & tax) unlike most other establishments

Arnos Vale Hotel - food, prices and service ok. Ate there 3 times but this was mainly because of the beach side location

Also ate at Anros Vale Waterwheel and Seahorse Inn but I felt that they were nothing special.

We did discover a great shop selling home made ice cream - J n J on the block of stores near the airport (Donut Boys is at the opposite end of the block). We were daily visitors for our fix of creamy tasty ice cream at very reasonable prices.

Return to “Restaurants, Food & Drink”