Is your glass half full our half empty?

135 room luxury 4* beachside resort at Crown Point (listing)
Colin Eustace

Is your glass half full our half empty?

Post by Colin Eustace »

As more than one person has said don’t dwell on all the negative comments posted. My wife, daughters (19 &15) and I have just (April 05) returned from a wonderful holiday in Tobago.

Although, we experienced more or less all the shortcomings others have mentioned it was only to a very small degree. Yes, one waitress was a little surly, but the other 49 were full of smiles and very attentive and the waiter who appeared to like a drink or two or ten just added to the evening cabaret. The managers and senor staff were exceptionally friendly, helpful and encouraged guests to air any concerns. When we questioned why afternoon tea wasn’t included in the ‘full inclusive option’ I’m not sure we got a full answer but room service appeared that evening with a generous supply of tea bags, coffee, milk and a kettle.

The three negatives for us were not the fault of the hotel. To book a coach tour of the island through Kuoni and to have it cancelled the night before because of wet weather was acceptable. To be left waiting in reception for 45 minutes for a coach that never did arrive on the rearranged date was very poor service. However, the hotel arranged a private taxi to take the four of us on ‘the grand tour’ at a considerably lower cost (£84.00), albeit excluding lunch and we could go at our own pace.

SOME taxis in Tobago appear not to have an earthly chance of passing an MOT and although Kuoni booked four taxis to take their guests back to the airport only one arrived, - late and held together with string. The airport in Tobago lacks a certain calm efficiency and being late for a BWIA flight where your seats on the Tobago/Trinidad Express will be given away to standby passengers is not the most relaxing end to a holiday. We lost our seats on the outward jouney and had to wait for spaces on later flights.

And, if you’re the parents of delightful little children with exceedingly loud voices. We can remember (just about) when we were their age and can live with the noise on the beach but when we go back to our rooms in the late afternoon for a quiet cup of tea please don’t sent your children up to the pool to continue the cacophony or join us for a late night romantic candle-lit suppers.

Isn’t it easy to complain? So take note of all comments, both good and bad and just remember people are generally quick to complain but slow to praise. The Coco Reef is not perfection but you won’t find that in this life. It’s close, so sit back on the balcony with a pina colada and say to yourself, the sun’s warm, the rain’s cool and the fish in the lagoon are great. Contemplate on what’s for dinner and look at your drink and think to yourself., my glass is still half full. If it’s not just order another. You might not get what you order but, hey! It’s great fun working out what it is and why your children appear to be slurring their words! Have fun, we did.
Chris Southcombe

Post by Chris Southcombe »

Thanks for a nicely balanced and well written report, your final paragraph sums up the reasons we return to the Caribbean each year.
Alison S

Post by Alison S »

I, my husband and 2 sons got home yesterday from a fabulous 2 weeks at Coco Reef. When I've done all the washing and collected my thoughts I'll do a bit more raving about it, but in the meantime if anyone's about to go and wants to know anything feel free to ask!
Dave B

Post by Dave B »

Same here Alison. Got back yesterday after two weeks at the Coco Reef including getting married there the previous Monday. Lots to comment on but better do some work first!

Return to “Coco Reef Resort”