where to stay?

Questions or comments should be posted in the property's own sub-forum, below. Use this sub-forum for general accommodation questions and comment. Please DO NOT post accommodation reports in the forum. Reports should be posted in the property's listing in the Accommodation section of the main site, where you will also be able to include a Satisfaction rating with your report.
Barbara1

where to stay?

Post by Barbara1 »

My husband and I want to visit Tobago. we live in the caribbean but have never been to Tobago.
We are an older couple. I have bad knees and have difficulty walking so we need accomodations that are eaily accesible.
Is it best to stay in the Crown Point area?
what about Ocean Point Hotel?
what about Kariwak?
what about Blue Waters Inn?
thsoe are palces that have been recommended.
It would be nice to have something directly on the beach although it is not absolutely necessary.
we would like something around $100.00 a night or cheaper.
we both love nature so that sort of setting is a plus too for us.
we plan on renting a carand exploring so even a hotel that is not in the Crown Point area is posssible too.
any advice would be appreciated.
thanks
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hello Barbara

Welcome aboard! You will find Tobago very different from St.Maarten. I'm sure you will love it.

Yes, if you have mobility problems, it would probably be wiser to stay in the flatter south-west end of the island, rather than the beautiful, but hilly, main part of the island. The Crown Point area doesn't really give you any idea of what Tobago is all about, but it's convenient for everywhere and, frankly, Tobago is such a small island that touring the island is easy wherever you stay, so the location doesn't make a huge difference.

I can see why two of your choices were recommended, but I'm surprised by the inclusion of the third which is totally outclassed by the others.

The Kariwak would be an ideal choice. It is a single-storey building, so you wouldn't have any stairs to worry about. Their restaurant also get regular praise. A good alternative in the same Crown Point area is the Toucan Inn.

My choice would undoubtedly be the Blue Waters. Its in a stunning location and some rooms are on the ground floor. The catering might not be quite as good as the Kariwak (or Toucan Inn), but the beautiful beachside location in a gorgeous bay more than make up for it. Not ideal for those with mobility problems though.

The Ocean Point Apartment Hotel. Very mixed reports about this one. It seems to have a knack of generating very strong opinion for and against. Very basic and poor location. Over-marketed, so likely to dissapoint. A high-risk choice.

I hope this all helps.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Barbara1

Post by Barbara1 »

hi Steve
thanks so much for your prompt reply.
I was just looking at the information on Castera Retreats and that place sounds fantastic. sitting on a balcony wathcing the birds fly by with a view of the mountains and the sea sounds heavenly even though I do live in the caribbean. :-)
But I am sure I could not manage the walking there unfortunately.
I have heard fantastc reviews of Blue Waters Inn.
how far is that away from the Crown Point area and are there other facilties near by?
like other restaurants etc.
is it in a little fishing village by chance like castara?
If we booked there, would you advise renting a car when we arrive and driving there on our own?
the Kariwak also seems like a nice place and I will check out the Toucan Inn also .
we are really lookling for somewhere to get away from the hustle and bustle of st. maarten. and to see some of the birdlife and nature of Tobago
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Barbara

Castara Retreats is wonderful, but not for anyone with walking difficulties.

The Blue Waters Inn is about an hour's drive from Crown Point. There are no shops or restaurants within walking distance, but a short taxi journey will take you the mile or two into Speyside where you have the choice of dining at the Speyside Inn (I was particularly impressed here during my recent trip) plus a couple of local Creole restaurants (Jemma's, Birdwatchers and Reman's).

Speyside is a fishing village, but stretched out over a much larger area and without the charm of Castara.

Yes, wherever you say I would STRONGLY recommend hiring a car so you can get out and about at will.

If you want to get away from the hustle and bustle of St Maarten, then you will probably want to avoid Crown Point. How long are you going for. If you're going for a couple of weeks and fancy a good overview of the island, then the Kariwak/Cuffie River Retreat/Blue Waters Inn would make an excellent three-centre itinerary providing a wonderful sampler of the island. See our reviews of the Cuffie River and Blue Waters (we've also done the Toucan Inn, but not Kariwak yet, I'm afraid).
Steve Wooler
Barbara1

Post by Barbara1 »

Unfortunately we will onlyt be able to stay for about 7-10 days so I want to choose one hotel only and take trips from there.
Cuffie River looks absoltuely fantastic.
Is that doable for me if I have trouble walking?
we will definitely be renting a car so we can travel anywhre.
It's just a question of where we want to be based.
PaulineC

Post by PaulineC »

Hi Barbara

We did not stay at any of the hotels you are considering but did visit many of them whilst touring the island (I wanted to compare them with the reviews on mytobago - absolutely spot on usually). It depends what you like doing. Both Blue Waters and the Kariwak get lots of good reviews.

If you love peace, beauty, wonderful beach and swimming and snorkelling, choose the Blue Waters Inn. This is in a really lovely setting and many of the rooms are on the ground floor. However, the hotel is quite a way from the rest of Speyside and walking anywhere would be difficult. Fine however if you had a car for the whole time.

If you are a foodie, also like peace and quiet but prefer to be nearer restaurants, in a busier environment, etc, go for the Kariwak. This has a lovely ambience, though not on the beach, and you would need you to be able to walk (10 mins or so?). The area around there is very flat. People enthuse about the food.

Cuffie Nature Reserve is very remote; we met people who stayed there who really loved it. Again, transport pretty essential.

I would advise staying in Castara if you have mobility problems. The roads around the village are all hilly - no good if you have bad knees. Best to visit by car and perhaps spend the day there, as it is lovely.

Happy searching

Pauline
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Barbara

Cuffie River is an unusual one. The right people will absolutely love it; the wrong would hate it. I can best refer you to our review so that you can try and decide for yourself.

If you want peace, quiet and nature, then Cuffie River is unrivalled. The accommodation compares with the best hotels on the island and the catering is the best Caribbean food I've had. However, there's NOTHING to do there except soak up the environment. Or, like me, sit and watch the birds for hour on end. The nearest decent beach is at Castara, the best part of half an hour away (of which nearly ten minutes is simply getting from the hotel to the main road). Yes, with a car you're ideally located to tour the country. Cuffie River is certainly "doable" because they have several rooms on the ground floor. I would even consider the hotel "wheelchair friendly".

When we first started going back to Tobago regularly, we would spend two weeks in a major resort and simply "crash out" in typical AI resort style. When we started doing the reviews for myTobago, moving on every three or four days was a real pain in the but. We have increased the stay duration by one day each year, intending to take it up to a maximum of 7 days. This year we had a five-day itinerary. I have to tell you that I suspect we will continue that. To be honest, Tobago is such a small island that you soon learn every pothole in your immediate area. Like at home, wherever you live, you get tired of travelling the same stretches of road every time you travel out. We have found that moving around the island every five days is a wonderful balance.

Based on everything you say, I would recommend that you do a two-centre Blue Waters Inn / Cuffie River holiday. Both are totally peaceful and in stunning locations, surrounded by spectacular nature.
Steve Wooler
Barbara1

Post by Barbara1 »

hi
thanks for all the help.
I think we finally have it settled.
we will be staying 3 nights at Kariwak Village and 7 nights at Blue Water Inn.
I am very excited.
we tried to get to Tobago last year and never made it .
Thanks again for all the advice.
I'm off to check the car rental forum now

Return to “General Accommodation”