Alibaba's sea breeze vs. Blue mango vs. ????

Questions or comments should be posted in the property's own sub-forum, below. Use this sub-forum for general accommodation questions and comment. Please DO NOT post accommodation reports in the forum. Reports should be posted in the property's listing in the Accommodation section of the main site, where you will also be able to include a Satisfaction rating with your report.
Kristine White

Alibaba's sea breeze vs. Blue mango vs. ????

Post by Kristine White »

Hello,
Going to tobago october 14-23 of this year for the first time. I am really excited and after much research on the island...provided by this site...i decided I want to stay in two regions. 1. Charlotesville and there we will be staying at Top River Pearl. On october 19 we will move on to castara and I am actively looking for a place to stay there. I love the outdoors, and I really have no restrictions...dont need anything fancy but am willing to spend money for a nice place if it is worth it. I am looking at the sea steps cottage at the Blue Mango and am willing to pay the off season $225 for the rooms but I am not so sure that it is worth the price. (cant really tell from the website or pics anyway) Has anyone stayed there and have any suggestions. I will need two beds--there are 3 people in my party. The other place i looked at was Alibaba's Sea breeze and for $65 a night I think it still has the same accomodations to offer as sea steps. (The great balcony views and a quiet beach) Anyone have any help in comparing these two places. I really wanted to stay at Castara Retreats but the room that will accomodate 3 people is booked..actually i think there is only one room left so that is pretty much out.

My second question is does anyone think it is unreasonable to travel from the airport to charlotesville on the day that we arrive. ...i think the travel time is one and a half hours. Our plan lands sometime in the afternoon..i believe around 4. I am wondering if it would be in our best interest to stay in the Crown point area for the first night. Thanks for all of your help and suggestions. :roll: :D :lol: :wink:

I just cannot wait to go.
Kristine White
Joanne Green
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!

Post by Joanne Green »

Dear Kristine-- You will LOVE Castara!! I can't speak for either of the 2 places that you're thinking of. We stayed at the Naturalist Beach. They have a villa (Blue Marlin) that has 2 beds and is right on the beach. It's brand new. The price includes a car. Check it out.

As to your other question. If you've never driven on the left, you're in for quite an adjustment! Even if you have, driving in Tobago is a challenge & you will need all your wits about you. The road from Crown Point to C'ville is twisty and pot-holed. My advice is to spend the night in Crown Point and start out in the morning when you're rested. There's lots of affordable places near the airport. Email if you want more info.
Julia C.
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!

Post by Julia C. »

Regarding the drive to Charlotteville, my choice would be to arrange a taxi to drive you to Charlotteville and arrange a hire car for a day or two later. Bet you don't need one for a day or two while you settle in and explore Charlotteville. Do check out the Sea Kayaking while you're there.

As to Sea Steps or Sea Breeze that's a difficult one. I haven't stayed at either. I saw one of the Sea Breeze appartments before they were completely finished and I've seen Sea Steps and stayed at Sweet Point another of the Blue Mango Cottages. They are completely different.

The people we've met who stayed at either one were very happy with their accommodation.

Sea Steps is definately more outdoors, as it is more "open". Between the two main beaches it is well placed, being a few metres above a very small beach between two outcrops of rocks the only/main noise will be the sea. It is also very private. I wouldn't describe it as fancy, but I would say it is a unique building style in a fantastic location, an adventure in itself. The view is practically 180% sea with fantastic sunsets.

The Sea Breeze apartments are more conventional in their building style and therefore more enclosed. Being a bit higher up and above Heavenly (Little) Bay the view is of the sea, the beach, some of Castara and coast and land south east of Castara. The Apartments are less private, but then, depending on the guests in the other appartments they could be more social, if that makes sense and you certainly wouldn't say that they were very overlooked!

If had I stayed at either of these two properties I know I would have enjoyed them both. To be honest there are many places in Castara I would happily stay, though Sweet Point would always be my first choice. 8)

Btw when you drive from Charlotteville to Castara do stop at the stall on the right just after Roxborough on the forest road called River Side Fruits and have a cool fresh fruit drink, made while you watch. It's a lovely place to sit for a while and the guy that owns it is great for a chat. (I wish I could remember names!)
Annette S.

Alibaba`s Sea breeze

Post by Annette S. »

Hello Kristina,
In April I was with my husband and my son (7) 2 weeks in the Alibaba´s Sea breeze. It was our 3d time in Castara in 2 years. We love Castara and all the time we had good accommodations. But definitivly the Best was the Sea Breeze. It´s 20 meters over the small Beach in Castara and you have a amazing view over the bay. :D :D
The apartments are perfect...there is glass door to the sea and you can open this door complete.
We did this on the first day and it was open the hole time...
To the next apartment there is a wooden wall..so you are seperat and you will see only the sea and hear only the waves.
The owners Steph and Brian (Alibaba) are very friendly and helpfull.
I wish the best for your trip! Enjoy your time in Castara!!!
Annette

P.S. With 3 persons you can take the family apartment.

Return to “General Accommodation”