dress code in eateries

Your questions and comment on restaurants and dining out
Gary F

dress code in eateries

Post by Gary F »

We're about to go to Tobago for the fist time (in a villa overlooking Grafton Beach Resort).

I looked at Grafton's website and they want gent's to wear long trousers in their restaurants. But the weather at night looks like being in the 80s and humid! I'm all in favour of looking tidy but its sound hot to dress up!

Are there many restaurants I'm going to need long trousers for?

And what about footware? Again, in hot climes I'd only wear sandals, no socks, so do I need to take proper shoes (and socks!)?
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Post by Steve Wooler »

Every one of the 'good' restaurants, I'm afraid, Gary. Of course you'll be fine in the smaller local restaurants and fast-food places. Basically exactly the same as at home. Hotel restaurants are normally more formal than general restaurants, but all will expect long trousers, collared shirt (i.e. no t-shirts) and 'normal' shoes. If the overall package is smart enough, you would probably get away with decent leather 'dress' sandals.

Evening temperatures are normal much lower than you quote and not generally humid (although it depends up time of year and other factors). In fact, at some times of year it can get surprisingly chilly at night. The evenings are normally a lovely gentle temperature. You be surprised how much the sea breezes cool things down.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Gary F

thanks

Post by Gary F »

Thanks Steve,

Better press some trousers!

Can I take it that all hotel restaurants are open to non-residents?

And althought not a question, can I say what an excellent forum/website you run. Top notch!
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

Sorry, but if you want to eat decent food, then YES!

In general, ALL hotel restaurants are open to non-residents. However, there are a few exceptions. All Inclusive hotels spring to mind. I am not sure whether either the Grafton or Le Grand Courlan are open to non-residents. I suspect the LGC might be (and is certainly the better of the two) but I would telephone first and book, making sure that you mention that you are not a resident.

Bear in mind that the hotels tend to be more expensive than external restaurants, primarily because they have to charge additional taxes. If you're in a villa overlooking Grafton and have a car, all of Tobago's best restaurants are within a 10-15 minute easy drive.
Steve Wooler
David Watkins
Bude Cool Boy
Bude Cool Boy

Post by David Watkins »

When I was in Black Rock earlier this year I went round to the Grafton planning to have a meal in the Seafood restaurant only to find I had to buy a "pass" costing 450TT$!!!!!!I declined,as being by myself I would find it difficult to eat and drink that much in one session.
David(156 says to go :) )
Gary F

Post by Gary F »

Are there many places where you have to pay to get in where you might not expect it? Seems like paying to go in a shop!

Did your pass let you use other hotel facilities like say their pool? Or did you go at night so all you got for your money was to be let in to spend in their restaurant?

And does anyone know of any other hotels, or beaches other than Pigeon Point (is this near being sorted out?) & Coconut Bay where a charge is the norm?
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Gary

To the best of my knowledge, Pigeon Point and Canoe Bay are the only pay-to-enter beaches and I can't think of anywhere else that you will be hit with a charge when not expecting it. Sorry, Argyle Falls now springs to mind.

Pigeon Point is moving forward (Sabga has finally admitted publicly that the sale is going ahead) but things move VERY slowly on Tobago so don't expect any news or changes in the short term.
Steve Wooler
David Watkins
Bude Cool Boy
Bude Cool Boy

Post by David Watkins »

Gary.Iwent in the evening just planning to have a few drinks and ameal.I don,t know if the pass allowed me to use the other facilities.In the event I went on up to Pleasant Prospect to eat.
David
Gary F

Post by Gary F »

David (or Steve!),

Where's Pleasent Prospect?
:roll:
We're arriving on Tobago at 4-30pm. We're staying a few hundred yards up from Grafton Resort. By the time we get into the villa we want a quick meal within walking distance as we won't have a car until the following day.

We expect we'll be really tired (very early start to get to Manc. to get to LGW). Any suggestions as to where we could grab some thing quick & good?
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Gary

Where is Pleasant Prospect? From the menu bar, select Tobago/Road Maps and then click on the word 'Grange' about an inch up the Caribbean coast (top of the dark green 'flatlands' area). On the enlargement, the black dot next to Grange is effectively Pleasant Prospect.

Within walking distance of your villa is Indigo - very good, but has become VERY expensive in our opinion. Not somewhere for your first evening, methinks, but its the only restaurant within walking distance. Just across the road is a Pizza Boys take-away. Used to be atrocious, but we were VERY impressed on our last trip and made use of them a number of times. Very cheap. Frankly, probably your best bet on your first evening - but, if you feel up to it after arrival, there are half a dozen top restaurants within a five-minute drive. See our Restaurants section (Lower Caribbean).
Steve Wooler

Return to “Restaurants, Food & Drink”