Accommodation Help for First Timer!

Questions or comments should be posted in the property's own sub-forum, below. Use this sub-forum for general accommodation questions and comment. Please DO NOT post accommodation reports in the forum. Reports should be posted in the property's listing in the Accommodation section of the main site, where you will also be able to include a Satisfaction rating with your report.
James Bennett

Accommodation Help for First Timer!

Post by James Bennett »

Hi everyone been reading the comments on this great site for a couple of days now, just have a couple of questions for all you Tobago experts!

I've been looking at a few accommodation options but im still unsure as to where to book!?! :? At the minute i'm liking the sound of the Arnos-Vale Hotel. I want to stay somewhere with a nice beach with good snorkelling, clean comfortable rooms and a decent location in terms of local sites/attractions am i right to be considering the Arnos Vale Hotel or should i be looking else where??? and if so where???

Many Thanks in Advance
James.
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Post by Steve Wooler »

Its all down to personal preference, James.

The Arnos Vale boasts arguably my favourite location on the island. Its a wonderful setting. Sadly it is being run by an owner who appears hell-bent on driving the place into bankruptcy. Yet again they have no manager. None of the managers last more than a few months. I can remember when I heard a positive report of the place. It really makes me angry because the location and setting of that place could make it a gold mine.

There is no single answer to your questions. Only you know the sort of things you like and don't like. All everyone else can do is give you their impressions - and confuse your choice even more. :cry:
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
James Bennett

Post by James Bennett »

Thanks again Steve.

So which hotels have a good beach with good marine life? and which offer the best access to local restaurants and attractions? or are most places easily accessable?
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

All that information is given in the relevant articles and accommodation listings on the site, James. Its too complex a subject to answer in a few lines.

Just one word on accommodation. We have reviewed EVERY large/medium-sized hotel (i.e. every one with 20 rooms or more) on the island. If it isn't reviewed, its because we have no desire to stay there personally. Why? Well, there's a thousand reasons. Basically a myTobago review is a recommendation - it doesn't mean the place will suit your tastes, requirements and pocket, but it at least means that it is worthy of consideration.
Steve Wooler
James Bennett

Post by James Bennett »

Hi Steve thanks for the replies and suggestions, after reading numerous reviews of different hotels i still like the sound of the Arnos Vale - i think it is the birds and the ability to go snorkelling off the beach that does it for me!
The only thing that concerns me is the managements (or lack of) there are a couple of reviews from poeple that have stayed there earlier this year which all sound positive (overall) but has much in the hotel changed since then? I know you used to email the hotel for updates? Do you know whats on the horizons for the Arnos Vale?
Are my worries justified?

Thanks again
James.
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi James

It is an exceptional event for a hotel to go from good to bad - or bad to good - in just a few months, so a good report now wouldn't necessarily be indicative of any fundamental change at the hotel.

We have found it totally impossible to make contact with the owner of the Arnos Vale. She appears to have total contempt and lack of concern for public opinion. Frankly even if we did manage to make contact any news would have to be taken with a pinch of salt. I've enjoyed good relations with most of the past 3 or 4 managers of the hotel, but they never last for more than a few months - which in itself tells you a lot about the place - and very little of the plans they've told me about have seen the light of day.

Only you can decide. I agree that the beach/snorkelling/birds are a huge attraction. However, at what price? Personally I would prefer to stay in a local guesthouse and wander down to the beach every day where I could get the best of both worlds.
Steve Wooler
Dr Stefan Rustscheff
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!

accommodation Arnos Vale

Post by Dr Stefan Rustscheff »

Hi, have You considered renting a Villa? There are at least two villas above arnos vale which are not horrendously priced and look truly gorgeous. We are talking about ca USD 1500-2000/week depending on seasons. I always stay in villas and enjoy the luxury and privacy You never get in any hotel. Arnos vale is rundown and living on past glories, in my subjective opinion.
Kindest rgds
Stefan R :)
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

Good point, Stefan - when I said Guesthouses I assumed that James might be travelling alone or as a couple. However, Top 'O Tobago villa, literally just across the road from the Arnos Vale Hotel, has wonderful Cabanas ideally suited to two. Yes, you'll be self-catering, but with what you will probably save, you should be able to afford a rental vehicle for the entire trip (essential wherever you stay on Tobago) then you can go out to eat, eat in - or even go across the road and eat at the hotel and realise what a good choice your've made. You will truly get the best of every world. Frankly, the birds at Top 'O Tobago are even better than at the hotel.
Steve Wooler
James Bennett

Post by James Bennett »

Thanks for the great suggestions Stefan and Steve. Ill look into the villa idea! I will be travelling with my fiance. Being a virgin to the Carribbean i would be little aprehensive about staying in a villa no the less ill have a look around! are there beach front villas available?
James Bennett

Post by James Bennett »

Is there and review and/or a website for the Top 'O Tobago anywhere?

Thanks again
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

You can use our Accommodation search facility to list beach-front villas. Be warned, however, that the very few beachfront villas carry a high surcharge and are normally only economical for parties of 6 and above.

Don't worry about being a Caribbean virgin. Provided you treat the locals with courtesy and good manners, you will find them incredibly helpful and welcoming. Wherever you stay, you need your own transport if you're to get the best out of the island.
Steve Wooler
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

James - use the menu bar at the top of the page. The menus will give you access to more than 200,000 words of editorial pages covering every subject of interest to visitors. The Eat & Sleep/Accommodation section will allow you to list the ONLY database of accommodation on the island - not just the list of paid advertisers on other so-called visitor sites. A short-cut to the Reviews is available through the "Reviews" menu (surprisingly logical :wink: ).
Steve Wooler
James Bennett

Post by James Bennett »

Yeh we would definatly look into hiring a car. We did so whilst we were in Langlawi last year and it was a god send, except for when we treked up this mountain to see a beautiful waterfall on our own, the Mrs consequently got mugged & robbed by an overly friendly family of monkeys! :shock: Not funny at the time but something to look back and laugh at!

Return to “General Accommodation”